What did you Cook or Bake Today?

I used to like the Dr. Bronner brand. I should look into it again.

Reactions: PTree15
I used this recipe. Dr Bronner's soap. Worked well.
I love that it has you do the baking soda to washing soda conversion, and that it's not a huge amount!
Did you use a scented?

I am actually on a long camping trip now. I contributed carrot, kale, garlic, and a tub of hummus for a noodle meal, but one involved in cooking in conjunction who would have cooked the noodles had a change of mind and contributed a can of beans and tomato sauce, and a lot of cayenne pepper (too much), and that was what there was for us to eat. It was not desired very much, so there was more for me to eat, which I had with getting bread to have with it.

Made a no bake pie for tomorrow...lemon pudding, Tofutti cream cheese, So Delicious Coco whip and a splash of soy milk. I added sliced strawberries and put it in a graham cracker crust.

That potato salad looks scrumptious, Second Summer! Now I want potato salad. :D

ETA: Today I'm going to make vegan sausages, hummus and veggie fried rice.

Last edited:
Reactions: Emma JC and KLS52
I have potatoes that are getting old, so I should potato salad too! I have celery, sweet relish and dill pickles, just made mayo, black salt--what am I forgetting? I so rarely make that. Just haven't wanted to make potatoes and they've been so cheap!
Definitely will make a seitan--a shredded one

And...I want to try making sourdough starter. Any help is appreciated! ;)

Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52
And...I want to try making sourdough starter. Any help is appreciated! ;)
I'm gearing up to do that too!
I did this in April 2020 during lockdown because I couldn't get yeast. It worked really well. I did not use whole wheat flour.

Reactions: PTree15 and silva
I'm gearing up to do that too!
I did this in April 2020 during lockdown because I couldn't get yeast. It worked really well. I did not use whole wheat flour.

I like that link more than what I look at, thanks!
I think @SuicideBlonde makes starter?

I've never liked any kimchi I've tried, but still want to try and make it myself, with flavors I know I like

Reactions: KLS52 and PTree15
I have done the sourdough starter a few times. I had one going for a while. I used the parts that you took out for fried dough and pizza. It was good. I need to start that again. I just get distracted and I kill it.

I have made kimchi once. It was fantastic. I keep saying I need to make it again.

Reactions: KLS52 and PTree15
Day 8 of my sourdough starter I made bread. SO many different ways to make both starter and bread!! I mixed it up just before going out at 7:30 last night--worried not a big enough oowl AND the it was soooo sticky, but I afraid to use more flour as I already went over. It called for one cu[p starter, 3 cups water and 6 cups flour. I woke to find dough oozing all around the bowl :fp: . I swear I must have added another 3 cups of flour just to be workable.
Anyway, I baked it in my Dutch oven and it did come out very tasty and a great crust, but, I will not be doing that again :laughing:

I haven't started my starter yet. I think I feel like once I do there will be no going back and I'm just not ready for the commitment yet lol.

• Haha
  • Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC and PTree15
I finally made Filipino barbecue soy curls again. It's been forever. The soy curls were almost a year past their date 😂. It was fine though. 🤷🏻‍♀️

I threw away the opened bag and used the sealed one.

I finally made Filipino barbecue soy curls again. It's been forever. The soy curls were almost a year past their date 😂. It was fine though. 🤷🏻‍♀️

I threw away the opened bag and used the sealed one.

do you keep them in the fridge or freezer? I keep the unopened bags in the fridge in the summer and outside in the winter and the opened bags I store in containers in the freezer (although we eat them so quickly that we likely don't have to do so)

I like to store up the really big ones in the freezer so that they are available for stir fries etc.

Simnett Nutrition's latest video showed that they bought one of those huge boxes of Soy Curls and then did a pan meal out of them and then had them to snack on whenever they felt like it. They used the Japanese BBQ sauce.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Simnett Nutrition

• Informative
Reactions: PTree15
do you keep them in the fridge or freezer? I keep the unopened bags in the fridge in the summer and outside in the winter and the opened bags I store in containers in the freezer (although we eat them so quickly that we likely don't have to do so)

I like to store up the really big ones in the freezer so that they are available for stir fries etc.

Simnett Nutrition's latest video showed that they bought one of those huge boxes of Soy Curls and then did a pan meal out of them and then had them to snack on whenever they felt like it. They used the Japanese BBQ sauce.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Simnett Nutrition
I had it in the pantry. I like the idea of the refrigerator and/or freezer. I will do that with my next order!

Reactions: Emma JC
I keep my soy curls in the fridge, both opened and unopened. They seem to keep well for weeks. I haven't had them go bad yet.

Reactions: Emma JC and KLS52
I keep my soy curls in the fridge, both opened and unopened. They seem to keep well for weeks. I haven't had them go bad yet.
Good to know. Apparently they are definitely fine, unopened, which is awesome. I've been eating them...they taste good and no ill effects but I will refrigerate/freeze going forward.

I wish a local store sold them so I could buy one bag instead of three on Amazon. They went up in price, too, but then so did everything else. I paid $19 in January 2023 for three bags...can't believe that was the last time I bought them...and now they are $23. The expiration was good for six months. I just need to not be lazy and make them more often.

I'm kind of craving them with lots of garlic...maybe some onions...in some kind of brown sauce...but I haven't figured out how to do it just yet. I'll experiment with this next batch.

I used to get green beans in brown sauce from the Chinese restaurant years ago...I'm thinking something like that.

Reactions: Emma JC