Zero Waste Home

I would like to put some her suggestions into practise however I don't live in a house. I cannot use veg and fruit peels for compost ( I tried to set a compost patch here and got complaints) so throw them out. I also can't collect rain water because my balcony is semi covered.

I particularly like the idea of taking small cotton bags to fill food bought in bulk. The only drawback is that only very expensive organic stores do bulk food. Our supermarkets/hypermarkets don't carry bulk food.

I always have several shopping bags and never buy plastic ones. You have to pay for them over here.

I use glass bottles to store drinks and water in the fridge. I also use a stainless steel bottle for water when I'm out or at work. I would never dream of buying water when on the go.

I also make my own yogurt in small glass jars.

I reuse water (washing veg or cooking vegetables) for water plants or removing stains from the floor, making stock, gravy or adding to soup.

I also like to use bicarb and white vinegar for cleaning and removing stains. You really don't need all these fancy, expensive cleaning products that pollute your home and are expensive. Savon de Marseilles is an excellent stain remover.

I'm not too sure about her mascara tips. I don't fancy using cocoa powder as a blush - it would give me chocolate cravings. :p

I'm also not too sure about the deodorant product which is a stone. I wonder whether it really does stop BO ?

One of the easiest tips to put into practise is '' to like tap water''. I don't understand why people pay so much to
drink bottled water when you can get if for a fraction of the price via a tap !

I'm also a bit surprised that she seems to buy so much meat as it's not echo friendly to the planet. I would have thought that she would at least be a part time vegetarian.

I don't think that it's very practical carrying around so many glass containers and jars when you go shopping. I wonder how the shops really would react if a large majority of shoppers started to carry glass containers ? Can you imagine the check out converter belt with so much glass ?

The video doesn't really give more details on how she would purchase products that aren't sold in bulk i.e. yogurt, cream cheese, cream, chocolate etc.

I wonder how her teenage boys manage not to eat junk food and have more waste as youngsters are huge consumers of magazines and junk food ?

She certainly seems to have the perfect home ( a little to bare for my liking ) and family.

Last edited:
Tap water in Florida tastes horrible and is not cold, or even cool, from the tap. In New England when visiting family, the tap water is very good.

Can't you filter it ? My mum used to filter her tap water in her home on Vancouver Island. She used to use a Britta filter system.

Thankfully, our water tastes good and is cool in winter. During the summer months, I just put into a glass bottle into the fridge.

Can't you filter it ? My mum used to filter her tap water in her home on Vancouver Island. She used to use a Britta filter system.

Thankfully, our water tastes good and is cool in winter. During the summer months, I just put into a glass bottle into the fridge.
Even the really good filters have a hard time with briny Florida water. Britta and the like don't work. The expensive reverse osmosis types work better, but the water from them still tastes bad (though less than unfiltered) and still gives me diarrhea after filtering. Florida's ground water table is very close to the surface, unlike many places with higher elevations.

Even the really good filters have a hard time with briny Florida water. Britta and the like don't work. The expensive reverse osmosis types work better, but the water from them still tastes bad (though less than unfiltered) and still gives me diarrhea after filtering. Florida's ground water table is very close to the surface, unlike many places with higher elevations.

That must be a pitn as people use a lot of water for drinking and cooking on a daily basis.

Reactions: ledboots
If the water boils in the cooking, I use filtered tap water, but if not then I use bottled. For tea, bottled water also. Yes, it's a hassle. :/

That sounds like a lot of work and extra cost. I wonder how people on a very low income or those that have difficulties shopping manage to get bottled water ?

That sounds like a lot of work and extra cost. I wonder how people on a very low income or those that have difficulties shopping manage to get bottled water ?
Some people have office type water coolers and can have the big (5 gallon?) bottles delivered or refill yourself. There are water stations with good water that you can bring your own bottle and fill up for around 10 cents a gallon, which is what we usually do.

Some people have office type water coolers and can have the big (5 gallon?) bottles delivered or refill yourself. There are water stations with good water that you can bring your own bottle and fill up for around 10 cents a gallon, which is what we usually do.

That is a lot cheaper than buying an expensive litre bottle of water.

Reactions: ledboots