YouTube trialling HTML5 videos - try it!

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
As you may be aware, Flash video is on its way out (across the Internet, not just YouTube) and will be replaced by HTML5 video.

If you have a supported browser, you can join the YouTube's trial of HTML5 videos at the link below. Then all the videos you watch will be displayed using HTML5. (Well, I think the vast majority of them at least.)

http://www.youtube.com/html5

It seems to be working well so far for me, I've gone through a couple of my playlists without any problems.

Hm, looks like it will still use the Flash player for many videos. (You can tell which player is used by right-clicking on the video.) Still a worthwhile exercise though!

I've been in the trial for a while. For the most part it works well. I still have Flash enabled in the browser profile I upload to youtube with as it sometimes takes a while for a video to be ready in HTML5 especially at 720p or above and I like to give a video a watch after an upload to make sure everything is working properly. I've had Flash disabled in all my other browser profiles for ages and haven't missed it a bit.

Looks like quite a lot of the youtube vids are now available in HTML5 format. I don't have Flash video in this browser, but lately I've only come across a couple of vids not available in HTML5.