You're not a real vegan! / you're not vegan enough

Nekodaiden

Forum Legend
Banned
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I thought these were both funny (video 1) and educational (video 2)

I offer no comment except that I was impressed by both:

Video 1:

Video 2:

Edit: Ack! Finger slip meant my title got sent before I was through typing it. Should be "You're not a real Vegan! / You're not Vegan enough"

Edit2: Thank you, whoever fixed it. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: poivron and Kellyr
Very interesting video, that second one. I’ve been thinking recently that veganism is a very powerful idea, and that the only thing holding it back from major worldwide success is the attitude of the “superior” vegans, who have much more influence over the direction of veganism than they should. Despite the superior, condescending, and shaming attitude of such vegans, veganism is growing. It would grow a lot faster if the voices of those who are focused on attracting new members could be heard over the voices of those who are focused on pushing away as many of its followers as possible.

The “superior” vegans want veganism to be as restrictive and exclusive as possible, so that they can feel maximally special. As the movement grows and becomes more mainstream, such self-centered vegans will become a minority. Eventually, they will go off and form a new group in which they can continue to feel superior to everyone else. I hope this will happen quickly because I’m tired of waiting. While the superior vegans go around telling others not to call themselves vegan, animals are suffering and dying.

I fit into the most restrictive definition of vegan. I even do some things to help animals that don’t enter into the definition (such as providing water for wildlife and planting native plants.) But I would never tell anyone that they’re not vegan because they are vegan for the environment or their health or because they eat a small amount of honey or occasionally buy leather shoes or a wool sweater. The more members we have in the movement, the better. People tend to become more conscious and strict the longer they are vegan. That was definitely true in my case.

Reactions: Hog and Nekodaiden
A Sociologist Finds Vegans Are Too Open to 'Free Riders'
"A contentious study suggests that social movements shoot themselves in the foot when they embrace a wide range of adherents."

This is a meta-study that was conducted by "an outspoken advocate for veganism", and concerns flexitarianism.

I think we'd all agree that flexitarians are not vegans, but it feels relevant to the discussion anyway. A line has to be drawn somewhere. To me, the core of veganism isn't a dietary choice but a belief that exploiting our power over animals is wrong. Leather, wool, and honey are not vegan, and I don't believe it helps animals to pretend that they are. I can fully embrace "plant based" as a superior diet in terms of health and ethics, but the difference between PB and veganism is far from trivial. Whether or not this aligns with the original definition(s) of veganism is irrelevant to me.

Reactions: Hog