Your holidays are destroying the environment!

robert99

On the boat
Reaction score
Thailand to close Koh Tachai island over tourism damage - BBC News
Koh Tachai island off Phangnga closed indefinitely
Thai authorities are set to close the island of Koh Tachai, saying heavy tourism is negatively affecting natural resources and the environment.

The island, off Phang Nga province, is part of the Similan National Park.

"We have to close it to allow the rehabilitation of the environment both on the island and in the sea without being disturbed by tourism activities before the damage is beyond repair," Tunya Netithammakul, director general of the Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plants Conservation, told the Post.

Local media cited experts saying a beach on Koh Tachai could hold about 70 people, but sometimes the number of tourists was well over 1,000, along with food stalls and tour boats.

That was far in excess of the island's sustainable capacity and was causing damage that threatened to become irreversible, reports said.

It's a sad fact of life that tourism can damage sensitive sites and monuments. I understand the ruins of Pompeii are now closed off to tourists because of the damage inflicted over the years by visitors. Not intentional, of course, for the most part, but simply having a lot of people treading on an archeological site with a great deal of scientific and historical value is no longer appreciated.

Reactions: ledboots
Maybe this can go here, as a tip/reminder....

DhJ2UUdXkAcgLMR.jpg

Pass it on, please. :thanks:

Reactions: KLS52
Again, not starting a new thread... just please, pass this on....

You know, i remember, how while celebrating a 2000 New year eve, our people suddenly got an access to all unthinkable kinds of fireworks. They turned our town into a real battle field (various color and shape fireworks,- some of them were as powerful as a proton bomb, as the glass in the whole town was shaking, fire fountains, petards, chinese lanterns, firecrackers, even rotating fire cannons:eek:). I can't say that it wasn't spectacular. But then the authorities couldn't take the remaining trash away for at least a week. And everybody knows where they took it: to the nearest trash dump. Sometimes they are trying to burn the trash dump, and a black smoke with toxic substances can be seen from far. Aaaand... for a half a century, or more, we've been having a real problem: "Krasnyi Bor" site ("The red pinewood"). [The Krasnyi Bor dump site is a hazardous waste landfill site in Krasny Bor, Tosnensky District, Leningrad Oblast. The site is sometimes called the "chemical Chernobyl", due to the two million tons of chemical waste accumulated there]:hide:. I guess no fireworks can compare to this evil. They are trying to close its parts, and recycle nuclear and toxic waste, but still when the wind is blowing towards us, we are suffocating. Thank god, there are no new nuclear trash buried there, as all the reservoirs are overwhelmed loooong ago.:tinfoilhat: :sigh:

The holidays can destroy health as well...

The 2018 Hot Dog Eating Contest | Nathan’s Famous

ETA: We also have competitions in eating meat dumplings, or manti, or pierogi.:DPeople often lose consciousness during pushing that junk inside themselves.:rofl:
Haha, when i was a kid, i could have won that championship. As i used to say then, i had only 3 really beloved foods: beef dumplings with vinegar, roasted potatoes and pickled cuckes. Maybe this list included sow-belly, sauerkraut and kholodets (meat boullion jelly with meat pieces inside). Brrrr.:p

Last edited:
There are 1 billion tourist arrivals in the world every year. That’s 30 every single second. By 2020 the number will increase by 60 percent. Tourism often puts pressure on natural resources through over-consumption, often in places where resources are already scarce. Studies Says.
Negative impacts from tourism occur when the level of visitor use is greater than the environment's ability to cope with this use within the acceptable limits of change. Uncontrolled conventional tourism poses potential threats to many natural areas around the world. It can put enormous pressure on an area and lead to impacts such as soil erosion, increased pollution, discharges into the sea, natural habitat loss increased pressure on endangered species and heightened vulnerability to forest fires. It often puts a strain on water resources, and it can force local populations to compete for the use of critical resources.