Your favorite work of art

Mischief

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
What piece of art speaks to you the most? It can be two dimensional, three dimensional, a song or other piece of music, etc. Or share one in each category.

This is the work of art that has been most special to me ever since I first saw a copy of it in junior high school. From the time I was a small child, I have always been struck by the incredible beauty to be found in the humblest grasses and "weeds", and the abundance of life to be found there. I look down a lot when I'm walking. :p

If I were super wealthy, I would build a museum next to my house, and "The Great Piece of Turf" by
Albrecht Duerer would be my first acquisition.

3eUAf.jpg

I'm not sure where to begin :)

But I listen a lot to music, so I guess that is the art form which I enjoy the most, measured in time spent enjoying it. I have a special fondness for the music made on the Commodore 64 (an incredible home computer from the 80s) and the remixes made in later years based on those tunes. I'm sure I've posted about this before, and I won't bore you with this again for too long. I went to a mini festival last year, and here is a video of one of the bands at a previous concert.

I also for some reason have a fondness for certain religious paintings and drawings, especially ones depicting Hell, minor devils, fallen angels, Lucifer and so forth. As such, the works by Gustav Doré illustrating John Milton's Paradise Lost (e.g. Depiction of Satan and Lucifer, the fallen angel) and also works by Hieronymus Bosch have appealed to me. Likewise, I'm intrigued by paintings and illustrations with themes from Norse mythology, as well as Greek and Roman mythology.

Since I saw the original painting in an exhibition, I have been a fan of Wassily Kandinsky’s “Im hellen Oval” from 1925.
The original painting under the right lighting is much more beautiful than this reproduction, especially the brillant yellow colour.

7C957F0D-46DA-4BAD-8122-8CA9359FD929.png

I really want to see van Gogh’s “Starry Night” as original, once ...

C89C94E9-C160-435E-938E-41BF76FB836E.jpeg

Since I saw the original painting in an exhibition, I have been a fan of Wassily Kandinsky’s “Im hellen Oval” from 1925.
The original painting under the right lighting is much more beautiful than this reproduction, especially the brillant yellow colour.

View attachment 15637

I really want to see van Gogh’s “Starry Night” as original, once ...

View attachment 15638

I've never seen a picture of that particular Kandinsky. Very nice.

I too would like to see "Starry Night" in person.

Reactions: Andy_T
I'm not sure where to begin :)

But I listen a lot to music, so I guess that is the art form which I enjoy the most, measured in time spent enjoying it. I have a special fondness for the music made on the Commodore 64 (an incredible home computer from the 80s) and the remixes made in later years based on those tunes. I'm sure I've posted about this before, and I won't bore you with this again for too long. I went to a mini festival last year, and here is a video of one of the bands at a previous concert.

I also for some reason have a fondness for certain religious paintings and drawings, especially ones depicting Hell, minor devils, fallen angels, Lucifer and so forth. As such, the works by Gustav Doré illustrating John Milton's Paradise Lost (e.g. Depiction of Satan and Lucifer, the fallen angel) and also works by Hieronymus Bosch have appealed to me. Likewise, I'm intrigued by paintings and illustrations with themes from Norse mythology, as well as Greek and Roman mythology.

Now I'm worried about you and Val. :p You two are the only ones I've ever met who enjoy Bosch's work. I can't even look at it closely, it's so disturbing and depressing. (Although one of my favorite fictional characters is named after him.)

Now I'm worried about you and Val. :p You two are the only ones I've ever met who enjoy Bosch's work. I can't even look at it closely, it's so disturbing and depressing. (Although one of my favorite fictional characters is named after him.)
Don't worry too much, I just find it funny and entertaining to see what fears lurked in the imaginations of people back in the day :)

Well, I also do like to look at his pictures, just out of morbid curiosity ;)

And I am also a big Michael Connelly fan :D

Reactions: Val
I've never seen a picture of that particular Kandinsky. Very nice.

I too would like to see "Starry Night" in person.
Right, here's is the site with his art works.:) He's russian,- but he ended his life in France.
Wassily Kandinsky - 607 artworks, biography, books, quotes, articles
He was a total synesthete: there's a phenomenon - "Kubiki Kandinskogo" (i'm not sure, but i would translate it as Kandinsky's toy blocks). This occasion gave a start to the research on the phenomenon of synesthesia. (When he was little, he was playing with toy blocks of different colors with alphabet letters on them, and when his mother was asking him about the color of the blocks, he was telling her the wrong color, because he identified it with the letters, and, as i call it, "the mental color" of the letters obviously didn't match the color of the blocks. His mother was an educated woman, and she didn't got scared and decide that her child is ill,- instead, she started developing these features in her son. He was lucky to have this kind of mother. As a dudess with a total synesthesia from birth, i can say, that if not managed properly, this thing can be a real haemorrhoids (pain in the *ss):p. What about famous russian composer, Alexander Scryabin, who declared himself a genious and a total synesthete,- i can say, that was a scam (things don't work that way.:no:)
About Kandinky's synesthesia: there are many forms of nervous system constitution which cause various kinds of this condition. But Kandinsky was lucky to have the visual-related one.
Many composers and artists had never been bragging about their synesthetic abilities, but it's obvious that they had it, when you're listening to their music or looking at their paintings or even sculptures.:innocent:

Last edited:
I am a fan of photography. I love looking at photos of places I will never visit and nature photos of incredible scenes of beauty that exist around the world. I can't pick just one of these works of art. There is a website with an app called Unsplash that features incredible photography!
https://unsplash.com/

I have a real weakness for pottery. I much prefer Etruscan over the later Greek or the Roman, and I also prefer the less decorated/ornate, such as this piece:

H0134-L87913265.jpg

I also love early Native American pottery, as well as much of the more "primative" pottery from around the world; the organic quality of such pottery really appeals to me.

Last edited:
I love art so I could end up taking over this thread but I will try to be a little reserved. I'm a big fan of surrealism and this is my favourite piece. It's by Toyen and it is called "Le Paravent" It seems to be exploring the concept of seduction as a potential threat but the fact that the seducer is female makes me wonder if there is a feminist motive here. Maybe a message to men?

3w00184.jpg

I have all kinds of favorite artists. I’m in NYC today and saw the Frida Kahlo show at the Brooklyn Museum. This show is not so much about her actual art as it is about the art of her whole life. It’s fascinating! They even have one of the leg prosthetics that she wore after her right leg was amputated. It’s wearing a beautiful red leather boot!