Your experience on omni message boards

I don't think I've ever come across a site dedicated to meat eating unless it was a tie-in to a restaurant or a fad diet.

Since about 95% of the people on Earth are Omnis, then it would follow,that most message boards are onmi message boards - whether or not they specifically identify themselves as such.

But if you don't go out of your way to identify yourself as a veg*n on those boards, no one would know....

Reactions: thefadedone
They've been ok, for me.. The odd veg discussion happens on non veg forums....best not to say meat is murder, and such, though.

I don't think I've ever come across a site dedicated to meat eating unless it was a tie-in to a restaurant or a fad diet.

Since about 95% of the people on Earth are Omnis, then it would follow,that most message boards are onmi message boards - whether or not they specifically identify themselves as such.

But if you don't go out of your way to identify yourself as a veg*n on those boards, no one would know....
Any message board that does not involve animal rights would be considered an omni message board. For me, a music message board named Pulse Music Board is the worst I've ever been on. Sports boards have been very bad as well. Vegetarian boards have been much better than omni boards. A lot of immaturity and it makes me think worse of humanity.

Do you mean to ask about the general experience, or the experience of discussing veg*n-related issues, on non-veg*n boards?

In either case, it varies widely, of course. I was heartened by the reception my views got on a far-right of centre political board one time. You are more likely to have a good experience if you spend some time to get to know the place, participate in other discussions, start other threads, before you "let the cat out of the sack" as it were, and explain why you're a veg*n or why animals matter etc.

Reactions: Amy SF and Mischief
By omni boards, do you mean boards about meat eating? Or boards where being veg*n is rare?
This is the only food board I go on. Other boards I go on are about games.

Last edited:
There are some fitness boards I frequent. Many are into the Paleo diet and such, few are vegetarian, and most don't care that I am. If I were to start making personal attacks against them for eating meat, of course they'd act defensively. But I don't. It's no different than the debates that sometimes get out of hand here. Some people seem to want to cause trouble, some don't.

Reactions: thefadedone
I'm on a US football forum, one of only a couple of women there, and those foul-mouthed fans are surprisingly nice about my veganism. I usually say "vegetarian" on that board because I don't want to define vegan, etc.

We have a thread on good football eats and tailgate party food, and no one really attacks my recipes. I attended a couple of tailgate parties with some of them, and my vegan chocolate chip cookies were the talk of the board. ;)

I'm on a lot of band message boards, and veggie talk usually pops up when people find out band member so-and-so is a vegetarian. Mostly it's been civil, though I have had a few people tell me they'd never invite me to dinner because they shouldn't have to kowtow to anyone's food choices. I should eat what I'm served, etc., etc. Nobody's been really hostile, though, which is nice. :D

Oh, I've visited a whole lot of them, some of them being way more active and diverse than VV.

In 2004 I started reading and participating in the message boards on IMDb. I had no problem with them until I started reading the board for the film Super Size Me. Morgan Spurlock's then-girlfriend was a vegan chef, which was mentioned in the film, which also featured having him go on a vegan detox diet after the experiment was over. There were multiple threads on the board dedicated to posting some of the most hateful, sexist, misogynist, anti-vegan ugly rants you can think of about Alex Jamieson. When I defended her, they attacked me, too. I stopped reading that board and started reading some of the general discussion boards. One person started a thread protesting hunting, and everyone started attacking her for it. When I defended her, they attacked me, too. I finally got fed up with IMDb, and decided to start looking for a message board where I could talk about veg*anism and hunting without being attacked, and talk to people who shared my views. That's how I found Veggieboards, and Veggieboards led me to VeggieViews. :p

I have to say, though, in my experience, as long as the discussion isn't about veg*anism or related issues such as hunting, and I don't mention I'm a vegetarian, I don't have a problem on most message boards.

The only other type of message boards I experienced is Baptist Message Boards but, I don't remember what they said about Vegans and I, I remember a few said their spouses were Vegans because they couldn't have meat or dairy because of health issues but, other then that I don't remember. I seldom on anymore message boards then this and I only have just enough time for small things on the net right now.

I visit a few places with omnis. For most part they dont talk about omni food so I havent had any problems with them.

I caused so many 'problems' on the last omni forum I belonged to that I got a life time ban.

Hi-lites included causing ..

1. A female moderator having to argue that the only thing wrong with men raping women women is that it's illegal. Nothing 'wrong' with men raping women otherwise.

2. A core group of 'high profile' members having to declare that the rights of some humans, fortunate by birth (i.e. whites, mostly), to "eat as they wish" outweighed the rights of other humans, unfortunate by birth (i.e. blacks, mostly), not to be culled off by starvation.

3. A high frequency of posts from people declaring that the arguments they had seen had convinced them to go veg*an.

#3 had a twist to it though ..

It was never the pro-veg*an arguments that did the 'damage'.

The thing that actualy did the 'damage' was the frequency with which the forum's omni-'intelligentsia' was being reduced to abhorently dumbassed arguments, like #1 and #2, to defend the 'morality' of omnivorism.

I attended a couple of tailgate parties with some of them, and my vegan chocolate chip cookies were the talk of the board. ;)

Anne Chovie can make a similar claim to fame, Ledders.

She once had to turn down an invite to an omni freind's party.

She was forgiven in return for supplying the party hostess with a large pot of her chili non-carne anyway.

Anne Chovie can make a similar claim to fame, Ledders.

She once had to turn down an invite to an omni freind's party.

She was forgiven in return for supplying the party hostess with a large pot of her chili non-carne anyway.

Yes I did!

I pandered to her apparent need to prove the diversity of her social group by even have a Vegan on her books!! ;)