xenForo lawsuit is no more, let's celebrate!

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
When I decided to start this forum back in April last year, I had to make a decision about forum software. There were the two big and established names, vBulletin and IP.board, and then the lesser known xenForo and several others, some free and open source. I had some experience with both vBulletin and IP.board, but liked neither. And while I appreciate open source software and use it whenever I can, I didn't feel like the open source forum softwares out there were good enough for what I wanted to create. I had also used xenForo a bit (do you remember ilovetalk.com?), although I didn't like it so much right from the start. But then somehow I got hooked. So it was going to be xenForo.

However, there was one concern: xenForo had been sued by Internet Brands, the owners of vBulletin. If Internet Brands should win the lawsuit, I would risk ending up with a dead software that wouldn't be developed further. From the information I could find it seemed like a text book bogus lawsuit where Internet Brands was trying to abuse to legal system in an attempt to get rid of a legitimate competitor. One would hope that the judge would quickly see through this, throw out the case or at least not let it drag on for too long. But we all know the legal process is not always fair.

Nevertheless, I decided to go with xenForo, even though it was a bit of a gamble. I put a lot of effort into customising this forum with add-ons etc., which was also a gamble because it would all be in vain if the software would not be developed further. But tonight I have received good news! And at this point in time it's probably all over the Internet, but here are a couple of good links:

Lawsuits Over, Next..! (Kier's announcement at xenforo.com)

Grace+Grace LLP Celebrates Dismissal of Internet Brands Litigations (The XF lawyers, Grace+Grace LLP)

:starshower:

Good news! :) I have to say I have been very impressed with VV's forum. It is honestly the best format I have ever used. It is easy to use in mobile, tapatalk, and desktop modes, and is attractive and easy to read. There are also cool things I've never seen before, like anonymous.

Thanks to you and all you mods and people who help behind the scenes. :)