Treating Your Non-Vegan Friend to Meat Dishes?

VeganRob

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I was thinking about this recently. A friend you haven't seen in ages comes to visit. He fell on hard times, so you offer to take him out for dinner. You're treating. As a vegan, you order sauteed broccoli and artichokes with peanut sauce and rice. He insists on getting braised leg of lamb with potatoes. Do you buy it for him?

Hmmm... I agree with Blues above. But assuming I found myself in such a situation and hadn't sorted it out beforehand and further assuming my friend is insensitive enough to actually insist, I would buy him his braised lamb. Whether or not I do that makes no difference to anything and in my everyday actions I can make choices that align with my ethics. It's an extremely unlikely situation but that's how I'd navigate it.

Reactions: Chryssie and Lou
I think yes you should buy them it, just because you live your life as a vegan I don't think its fair to push it onto someone who doesnt live their life that way, you wouldnt want someone who wasnt vegan to deny you of vegan food if they took you out for food??

• Agree
Reactions: Chryssie
I think yes you should buy them it, just because you live your life as a vegan I don't think its fair to push it onto someone who doesnt live their life that way, you wouldnt want someone who wasnt vegan to deny you of vegan food if they took you out for food??
I don't know. if he is eating on my charity he shouldn't be so fussy.

There are so many variables here. If this were a planned event I would suggest a place that would acccomodate vegan options. I don't think I would offer to treat, as that is where it gets all messed up.
Often things just kind of happen and you can end up wishing you hadn't made an offer, and in those cases I just brush it off. If someone is worth your time to reconnect letting differences get in the way can just be too unpleasant.

Reactions: PTree15