Man-Machine Worst Passwords

Joe

Forum Legend
Reaction score
If Your Password Is On This List, It's Time To Change Passwords

The “Worst Passwords of 2015" list is out, and if you're using one or more of these passwords, it's time to get a new one. SplashData’s fifth annual worst passwords report, compiled from more than 2 million leaked passwords during the year, shows that while some things have changed a little, all in all people are still using the same easy to guess passwords.

Full report available here:

Announcing Our Worst Passwords of 2015 | TeamsID

*laughs at #25* The most popular movie franchise of all time, and there are idiots who think the title of that franchise will protect their accounts?

You might be intrigued to hear that it was demonstrated to me in one of our regional offices, that "123456" was actually the default password of most users there. The main reason for that is that you can simply put your index finger on the 1, and pull it over to the 6, to enter the password.

When I told them that this would not be possible (actually forbidden) with the new IT system we are implementing, they were quite upset and complained about such user unfriendliness :confused:

You might be intrigued to hear that it was demonstrated to me in one of our regional offices, that "123456" was actually the default password of most users there. The main reason for that is that you can simply put your index finger on the 1, and pull it over to the 6, to enter the password.

When I told them that this would not be possible (actually forbidden) with the new IT system we are implementing, they were quite upset and complained about such user unfriendliness :confused:

Well, I have had a customer who had a pin code which was 0000.

I had never used all zeros or 123456 until I had read an article similar to this one. Then I thought that would be an easy one to use for things that didn't matter. I only use it for one or two things.

These remind me of the stories told by Richard Feinman, one of the physicists who worked at Los Alamos on the nuclear bomb project. He and his team were always doing stuff and always in a hurry. Much of the information they needed was written on papers locked in safes at the facility. Rather than waste time going through bureaucratic channels to get at this info, Feinman simply tried the combinations of new safes when they come from the factory. These were usually 00-11-00 or something simple like that. Feinman tried that, and most of the time they worked.(!)

So much for the security of our atomic bomb secrets during WWII.

Oh dear. People still use 123 and password? My PIN is not in the top or bottom of the list - good, it means noone will change to it haha.

Also how do they know this data? if someone asked me for my pin for 'research purposes' I'd run away quickly

Last edited:
You know the easiest passwords are sometimes the best passwords, why? Because the criminals are stupid enough to not think of those passwords. lol:D