World AIDS Day (1st December)

Amy SF

Dweller in nature
Supporter
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
Today (1st December) is World AIDS Day. HBO is currently airing And the Band Played On and Angels in America, both about the early years of awareness and diagnosis of the AIDS virus. And the late Ronald Reagan, who as President could have done something about AIDS before it became a worldwide epidemic, and did nothing, because it was "just a gay disease"? He can rot in hell, sorry.

10 facts on HIV/AIDS
Updated November 2013

hiv_fact_thumb.jpg

WHO
HIV/AIDS remains one of the world's most significant public health challenges, particularly in low- and middle-income countries.

As a result of recent advances in access to antiretroviral therapy (ART), HIV-positive people now live longer and healthier lives. In addition, it has been confirmed that ART prevents onward transmission of HIV.

At the end of 2012, close to 10 million people were receiving ART in low- and middle-income countries. However, almost 19 million other people who are eligible for ART under new 2013 guidelines do not have access to antiretroviral drugs.

But progress has been made. In 2012, 62% of pregnant women living with HIV received the most effective drug regimens (as recommended by WHO) to prevent mother-to-child transmission of the virus.

WHO has released a set of normative guidelines and provides support to countries in formulating and implementing policies and programmes to improve and scale up HIV prevention, treatment, care and support services for all people in need.

This fact file provides current data on the disease, and ways to prevent and treat it.

Read 10 facts on HIV/AIDS

From the World Health Organization website. http://www.who.int/features/factfiles/hiv/en/

Reactions: SummerRain
From the website in OP said:
Mother-to-child-transmission of HIV is almost entirely avoidable
Access to preventive interventions remains limited in most low- and middle-income countries. But progress has been made. In 2012, 62% of pregnant women living with HIV received the most effective drug regimens (as recommended by WHO) to prevent mother-to-child transmission of the virus.

This was something I only found out recently, when I read a story about it. I assumed that all babies with mothers with HIV would also have HIV.

This was something I only found out recently, when I read a story about it. I assumed that all babies with mothers with HIV would also have HIV.
I have been working OB for years, and have never seen an HIV + newborn. The moms just need to have access to and take the meds.

ETA we test all pregnant womenfor HIV just in case.