News Woman Who Intentionally Blinded Herself Claims She Has Never Been Happier

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Ever heard of BIID - Body Integrity Identity Disorder?
Pretending to be blind was not enough for the American, who initially sought out help from therapists. At the age of 21, she found a psychologist willing to aid her in her quest to lose her sight, and they poured drain cleaner into her eyes - without any legal repercussions.
More: http://www.marieclaire.co.uk/news/health/550626/woman-with-biid-intentionally-blinded-herself.html (02. October 2015)

I just don't know what to say ..

well good for her, I suppose..

I don't know if I could learn to read Braille; I can't really tell the letters apart.

I dunno what my long term prospects are regarding my sight, and in respect to my diabetes. I suppose I should get out my braille book, I bought years ago, if I can find it.

I'm dumbfounded. Someone was discussing this case on the radio this morning.

I suppose it's a shame that she couldn't have donated her eyes to someone who needed them, but... if I were a doctor, I don't think I could have brought myself to remove hers, even with her saying she didn't want them.

Diabetes is a lousy disease to deal with, Blobbenstein. I don't have it... not yet anyway... but I've seen what it does to people, and since it runs in my family, I fear it. Here's hoping you give it the slip. :up:

I strongly support the idea of allowing terminally ill people to commit suicide. I might even support the idea of allowing others to commit suicide, if they can show that they're in an otherwise sound state of mind and know what they're doing. There are too many people in this world already. But intentionally blinding oneself? Or amputate an arm or a leg? I think Tom is on to something there, if their eyes or limbs could be donated to someone who really wanted them and needed them, then that would make it a lot more acceptable. I guess the same is true for the suicide scenario.

I strongly support the idea of allowing terminally ill people to commit suicide. I might even support the idea of allowing others to commit suicide, if they can show that they're in an otherwise sound state of mind and know what they're doing. There are too many people in this world already. But intentionally blinding oneself? Or amputate an arm or a leg? I think Tom is on to something there, if their eyes or limbs could be donated to someone who really wanted them and needed them, then that would make it a lot more acceptable. I guess the same is true for the suicide scenario.

This story is just too dreadful for words. The woman must have serious mental issues. She may also regret her act later on.

Donating organs from a healthy, living person in theory sounds like a good idea but in practice there would be too many legal and moral issues to consider.

This reminds me of those people who intentionally perpetuate a handicapped/disabled state for the attention if gains them from others who must act as their care givers.

Actually, I worded my post wrong. I would rather have had her eyes go to someone who wanted/needed them than for her eyes to just be destroyed, yes... but better yet, she should have gotten whatever therapy she needed for her to accept her own body.

If I remember right, the article said that her "therapist" would not face charges. Surely I'm misinformed on this?!

ETA: Nope- I just re-read the article. Part of me thinks this is a hoax, although I have heard of strange psychological issues not very different from BIID.

I saw a documentary about this illness for many, many years ago, and it stuck with me. How far thiese people are willing to go to remove a leg or an arm. Even laid down on train tracks.

One doctor said that in the future, we could look back on this and think that it was horrible not letting them get the treatment they wanted (remove a leg example), or we could be horrified that some got their legs or arms removed.

I find it so hard to understand, and I really don't know what treatment I think they should get. I've never met some that has BIID.

Actually, I worded my post wrong. I would rather have had her eyes go to someone who wanted/needed them than for her eyes to just be destroyed, yes... but better yet, she should have gotten whatever therapy she needed for her to accept her own body.

If I remember right, the article said that her "therapist" would not face charges. Surely I'm misinformed on this?!

ETA: Nope- I just re-read the article. Part of me thinks this is a hoax, although I have heard of strange psychological issues not very different from BIID.
This! ^^^ Unbelievable.

I hope they will find a way to help thiese people. And they get proper help.

maybe it is like if some mad scientist surgically added a leg to your body, then you may wish to have the leg removed..