Winning The Lottery Won't Solve Your Problems

that's why I'd rather do the Thunderball....top prize 500,000.........enough to buy a house and live off Amy's vegan mac&cheese.....but not attract the begging letters maybe.

that's why I'd rather do the Thunderball....top prize 500,000.........enough to buy a house and live off Amy's vegan mac&cheese.....but not attract the begging letters maybe.

I couldn't open the link on google to see what kind of game it is.

I was discussing the Euromillion the other day with a person who is a bank manager. He reckons that you can't live
happily after (resigning) if you win one million €. He says that you would need much more if you're not planning to work.

I suppose that it depends on how you would invest the winnings and how much you'd spend on property.

He reckons that you can't live
happily after (resigning) if you win one million €. He says that you would need much more if you're not planning to work.

1 million Euros=£770,000

£300,000 house then:

If I lived until 86, that would leave me with £11,750 a year....that would seem ok to me....Amy's mac&cheese isn't that expensive...

Reactions: PTree15
1 million Euros=£770,000

If I lived until 86, that would leave me with £11,750 a year....that would seem ok to me....Amy's mac&cheese isn't that expensive...

I suppose it does make a difference whether you're a bachelor or a family of 4.

If I won a million - I would buy a house that costs 500 000 € ( nothing luxurious) and invest the remaining half. I think that would keep me going as I also don't spend too much. I would like to travel 3 or 4 times a year, eat decent food and be able to pay medical expenses.

Yes, I think if you had children and wanted to send them to private school or something then it wouldn't be enough money.

It would definitely be enough money for me.:)

I feel that the presence of lotteries just leads people to accept the present set up, and defend wealth inequalities...it is an anti-revolution mechanism..

But I still do it sometimes.

I feel that the presence of lotteries just leads people to accept the present set up, and defend wealth inequalities...it is an anti-revolution mechanism..

But I still do it sometimes.
I think of George Orwell when I buy a ticket:

"The Lottery, with its weekly pay-out of enormous prizes, was the one public event to which the proles paid serious attention. It was probable that there were some millions of proles for whom the Lottery was the principal if not the only reason for remaining alive. It was their delight, their folly, their anodyne, their intellectual stimulant. Where the Lottery was concerned, even people who could barely read and write seemed capable of intricate calculations and staggering feats of memory. There was a whole tribe of men who made their living simply by selling systems, forecasts, and lucky amulets. Winston had nothing to do with the Lottery, which was managed by the Ministry of Plenty, but he was aware (indeed everyone in the party was aware) that the prizes were largely imaginary. Only small sums were actually paid out, the winners of the big prizes being nonexistent persons."

I like Orwell's writing. I haven't read Animal Farm, and I don't think I will, I just don't like the feel of it, but when he made the pigs stand up and behave like humans he should have only made a few pigs stand up. The standing up pigs should be shown selling the stood down pigs for meat.....some humans are like demoniacally clever pigs eating other pigs.

I like Orwell's writing. I haven't read Animal Farm, and I don't think I will, I just don't like the feel of it, but when he made the pigs stand up and behave like humans he should have only made a few pigs stand up. The standing up pigs should be shown selling the stood down pigs for meat.....some humans are like demoniacally clever pigs eating other pigs.

Animal Farm affected me deeply when I first read it as a child (late 60s/early '70s). What was it "All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others..."

I rarely ate pigs when I was omni, and after reading it, wanted to stop eating all meat, but had never even really heard of vegetarianism. I went to the library and read Diet For A Small Planet and The Moosewood Cookbook. My mom made some good food from the recipes, but I kept eating fish and beef. Live chickens I loved, and with the bones and everything in the supermarket dead ones, gross. I didn't eat lamb or veal either because they are babies.

I briefly went vegetarian in college, subsisting mainly on fritos, onion dip, pizza, and beer. It took decades and a very wise and ethical son's influence for me to go veg and then vegan.

Edit, sorry so off-topic.

I did not win the powerball lottery ;)

Animal Farm affected me deeply when I first read it as a child (late 60s/early '70s). What was it "All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others..."

I rarely ate pigs when I was omni, and after reading it, wanted to stop eating all meat, but had never even really heard of vegetarianism. I went to the library and read Diet For A Small Planet and The Moosewood Cookbook. My mom made some good food from the recipes, but I kept eating fish and beef. Live chickens I loved, and with the bones and everything in the supermarket dead ones, gross. I didn't eat lamb or veal either because they are babies.

I briefly went vegetarian in college, subsisting mainly on fritos, onion dip, pizza, and beer. It took decades and a very wise and ethical son's influence for me to go veg and then vegan.

Edit, sorry so off-topic.

I did not win the powerball lottery ;)

That is nice to know that you followed your son's advise as it often is the other way around. I gather that you bought him up to be a vegetarian.

Reactions: ledboots
Can I share a joke here?

Well, here it goes:

John prays "Dear god, let me win the lottery so my financial troubles are over" - every night, before he goes to sleep.
He keeps on doing this for 20 years.

However, one evening, after he has made his prayer, his bedroom is lit by an ethereal light, and a thundering voice commands:
"JOHN! .... GIVE ME A CHANCE! .... GO OUT AND BUY A SINGLE LOTTERY TICKET!!!!"

Reactions: SuicideBlonde

If I won a million - I would buy a house that costs 500 000 € ( nothing luxurious) and invest the remaining half. I think that would keep me going as I also don't spend too much. I would like to travel 3 or 4 times a year, eat decent food and be able to pay medical expenses.
This would be pretty much my plan, which is why I'd be quite happy winning a million or two. :D I think once you get into the hundreds of millions, managing that money becomes a full-time job and most likely a real headache.

This would be pretty much my plan, which is why I'd be quite happy winning a million or two. :D I think once you get into the hundreds of millions, managing that money becomes a full-time job and most likely a real headache.

Yes, just a couple of million will do. Please someone up there, we're not a greedy bunch.:D

Last edited: