Man-Machine Will coming generations still value privacy?

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I had an interesting conversation over the weekend with an acquaintance who also works in the software / information technology field. We were looking at a strange rubbish bin by the playground that had a solar panel on top. He looked up the info on his phone, and learnt that the bin actually communicated wirelessly with its owners, telling them whether it needed to be emptied etc. This sparked a conversation about the Internet-of-things and then about our children's relationship with technology.

He said something to the effect of this: The generation growing up now doesn't know a world without Internet and social media. They will come to think it normal to share anything and everything about themselves, and all the time. They won't care that Google knows everything about them, and it won't matter, because society will grow ever more accepting and soon there won't be any taboos left.

My immediate reaction was that surely they will still want to keep secrets and not share just anything. Still, I thought it was a nice thought, that perhaps that will be a much more relaxed society.

What do you think?

it could be a society where anyone who doesn't go along with group think, is a thought criminal.

There have been many cases worldwide which have highlighted the importance of privacy protection tools; ranging from the Edward Snowden files to The Pirate Bay take downs. While i do not condone any illegal activity, i believe that protecting your online activities should be a human right. Choosing the right VPN can be daunting but this is where we come in. If you live in Usa and haven’t thought about a VPN yet, then it’s high time to do so.