US Why Zero Tolerance Policy In Schools Needs to Go

Amy SF

Dweller in nature
Supporter
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
http://www.alternet.org/civil-liber...rmal-kid-behavior-treated-crime-or?paging=off

I've been reading horror stories such as these for some time now. It turns my stomach to read these. In the cafeteria of the Culver City (CA) Middle School, there's a big sign with a list of don'ts for students. One of them is touching another student. So, a comforting touch to your best friend's shoulder because her mother's sick and she can't maintain her composure during school hours could possibly get you suspended, or even expelled. :rolleyes: As far as I'm concerned, this is outright cruelty. :fp:

This kind of thing was unheard of when I went to school in the 1960's and 70's. As I recall, the worst thing that happened was when I was going to a private school in the early to mid 7o's. A teenage boy was acting up too much. The headmaster grabbed him and spanked him in full view of everyone. I have no idea if he called the boy's parents or not. If this happened today, the kid would probably end up in the hospital or in a police car.

Maybe, maybe not but my gut tells me there has to be more to these stories.

But I will agree I don't like where the US is going with zero tolerance as far as I'm concerned it equals zero judgment... much like our move towards mandatory minimums in sentencing.

Maybe, maybe not but my gut tells me there has to be more to these stories.

But I will agree I don't like where the US is going with zero tolerance as far as I'm concerned it equals zero judgment... much like our move towards mandatory minimums in sentencing.

Agreed.

The problem is that humans manage to screw up pretty much any kind of system that's put into place. If there's discretion in decision making, a substantial portion of the decision makers will exercise poor judgment and/or abuse that discretion. If you prohibit discretion in decision making, you also end up with some ridiculous outcomes.

Kindergartener interrogated over cap gun for two hours until he pees in his pants and is then suspended for 10 days

Interrogating a five year old for two hours until he wets his pants? Seriously? How fucked up do you have to be to abuse a child like that?

And btw, ignore the screaming commenters below. This has less to do with "liberals" and gun control and more to do with a principal with **** for brains who thinks that holding a small child for two hours until he pees BEFORE calling his mother is proper protocol. :fp:

^ Sounds like my old primary schools way of dealing with things. Junior high too.