Linguistics Why You're Offensive & Don't Know It

Bite Size Vegan

Vegan Fruit-Ninja
Reaction score
What violent and offensive things are you saying every day without knowing it? With all the "Politically Correct" terminology out there, one group remains regularly slandered, victimized and devalued in our everyday speech. This video looks into the linguistic oversights we all take for granted. Words are powerful, and how we talk about things and each other greatly affects our perception.

I think I steer clear of most of these terms, probably instinctually ... Except I do say "pig-like" (well, the equivalent term in Norwegian) about something or someone being dirty / unclean / unsanitary. I need a good replacement for that term.

I first became very self aware of my use of animal terms in a derogatory way when I read the book "
The Sexual Politics of Meat: A Feminist-Vegetarian Critical Theory" by Carol Adams. I still find myself doing it but far less frequently than I used to. It is just so ingrained in the culture I have lived in all my life that it still comes automatically. Unlearning takes a long long time.

Reactions: Spang and ledboots
I first became very self aware of my use of animal terms in a derogatory way when I read the book "
The Sexual Politics of Meat: A Feminist-Vegetarian Critical Theory" by Carol Adams. I still find myself doing it but far less frequently than I used to. It is just so ingrained in the culture I have lived in all my life that it still comes automatically. Unlearning takes a long long time.
I read that in college ;D Lots to think about