Why wasn't I making mayonaise from scratch before?

das_nut

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Made some vegan mayo last night. Biggest expense was a $2 organic package of tofu and it was ridiculously easy (just combing ingredients in a food blender).

What else should I be making from scratch?

Hummus including making the chick peas from scratch. Dried beans cost way less than canned do and they're very simple to make. After the beans are cooked then it's a matter of just bunging the rest of the hummus ingredients into a food processor

What recipe did you use?

The one from "How It All Vegan". It's good, but a little thin. I may add corn starch next time, or try a slightly difference recipe.

Hummus including making the chick peas from scratch. Dried beans cost way less than canned do and they're very simple to make. After the beans are cooked then it's a matter of just bunging the rest of the hummus ingredients into a food processor

I've done that before. IMO, it's far better than store bought hummus. And cheaper!

According to my better half, she says part of the problem is I used flaxseed oil for the oil in the recipe. But I'd rather find/tweak a recipe and continue to use flaxseed due to the omega 3/6 ratio and fatty acid conversion.

Anyways, sprouts - are these cost effective to make at home, considering I can buy a container for $1.50 at the co-op?

Try drizzling the flaxseed oil in very, very slowly - that's important to the thickening.

I sprout my own sprouts because of the freshness issue and because sprouts which haven't been handled properly are particularly prone to cause illness.

I just think is way less expensive to use a cup of soymilk then use tofu. I use light soymilk in general, also.