Why isn’t this vegan

Mikemike

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
My local Asda store usually label food by vegetarian or vegan, for some reason this product Online Food Shopping | Grocery Delivery | ASDA Groceries

is not vegan and I can’t understand why, what could possibly be in the ingredients? If you look you can see it’s all natural ingredient with nothing added. But I knowing Asda, if it was vegan they would definitely say vegan not vegetarian

Clearly all of the ingredients listed are commonly considered to be vegan, although there is such as thing as non-vegan orange juice.

I think you'll probably have to contact ASDA to find out.

• Agree
Reactions: shyvas
Clearly all of the ingredients listed are commonly considered to be vegan, although there is such as thing as non-vegan orange juice.

I think you'll probably have to contact ASDA to find out.
why is orange juice not vegan? I have read places that some orange juice is fortified with stuff but it should be listed on the ingredients if it is?

• Agree
Reactions: shyvas
why is orange juice not vegan? I have read places that some orange juice is fortified with stuff but it should be listed on the ingredients if it is?

Some brands add omega 3 which is derived from fish and therefore are not vegan.

In the UK, all ingredients must be listed on food labels and must not be misleading. However, there is a list of criteria for food to have the V label and perhaps
this particular item has not met all the required standards. For ex; they should be kept and packaged separately from non vegan food.

I've seen many food products in some supermarkets that don't have the V label or 'suitable for vegans' on the packaging but if the ingredients are plant based, I would certainly buy them.

You could always query Asda via an e mail and it would be interesting to see how they respond.

Food labelling and packaging

I wouldn't worry about it.
Not sure how things work in the UK but don't those certifications cost the manufacturer money? Maybe they just wanted to save some money. Also I reads something about how some companies don't want the V label because they had this idea that that people wouldn't buy their product if it was vegan.

Some brands add omega 3 which is derived from fish and therefore are not vegan.

In the UK, all ingredients must be listed on food labels and must not be misleading. However, there is a list of criteria for food to have the V label and perhaps
this particular item has not met all the required standards. For ex; they should be kept and packaged separately from non vegan food.

I've seen many food products in some supermarkets that don't have the V label or 'suitable for vegans' on the packaging but if the ingredients are plant based, I would certainly buy them.

You could always query Asda via an e mail and it would be interesting to see how they respond.

Food labelling and packaging

But wouldn't fish oil have to be labeled as an allergan? It couldn't/shouldn't be labeled vegetarian if that were the case.
Maybe Vitamin D3 though?