Why Finnish babies sleep in cardboard boxes

Calliegirl

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
All countries should do this, it would make a big difference for a lot of people.
For 75 years, Finland's expectant mothers have been given a box by the state. It's like a starter kit of clothes, sheets and toys that can even be used as a bed. And some say it helped Finland achieve one of the world's lowest infant mortality rates.

It's a tradition that dates back to the 1930s and it's designed to give all children in Finland, no matter what background they're from, an equal start in life.

The maternity package - a gift from the government - is available to all expectant mothers.

It contains bodysuits, a sleeping bag, outdoor gear, bathing products for the baby, as well as nappies, bedding and a small mattress.

With the mattress in the bottom, the box becomes a baby's first bed. Many children, from all social backgrounds, have their first naps within the safety of the box's four cardboard walls.

Mothers have a choice between taking the box, or a cash grant, currently set at 140 euros, but 95% opt for the box as it's worth much more.

The tradition dates back to 1938...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22751415

_67962993_contents_millakontkanen.jpg

:) That's lovely. I thought it was going to be really sad at first.

I didn't think the thread would be bad.

I like the smell of cardboard, guess these babies will too when they are older.

I saw this somewhere before. It's awesome.