Why a fancy food startup is selling vegan mayo to America’s poorest shoppers

Calliegirl

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
The clean-food movement has ambitions to eventually feed the next billion people on earth. Silicon Valley venture capitalists are backing food-hacking startups (paywall) trying to invent cheaper or healthier alternatives to traditional protein, fat, and carbohydrates. But for now, the most innovative edibles are expensive and unfamiliar niche products—Soylent, anyone?

Just Mayo, an eggless mayonnaise made by two-year-old Hampton Creek, is a notable exception. Within six months of the product’s debut last autumn, jars were being stocked in Costco, Safeway, and Kroger supermarkets across the US. Last month, it hit shelves of ParknShop stores in Hong Kong. And starting this week, it’s being sold in Dollar Tree stores—the discount supermarkets that are at the very cheapest end of American retail....

Why a fancy food startup is selling vegan mayo to America’s poorest shoppers

Reactions: Second Summer
It's a brilliant move forwards.

Absolutely amazing if you factor in that this is an unsubsidised business managing to take on a massively subsidised one.
Maybe if these products start to become popular, the justification for subsidizing the animal products fades away. If these products can feed more people, and cheaper, then why should we subsidize this horrible industry that pollutes, consumes vast resources and doesn't "scale"? Oh yeah, and is horrible to the animals, but that has never been a concern for anyone but us tree-huggers unfortunately.

I've never had Just Mayo, but kudos to 7-Eleven for doing this. I'm going to give it a try.

I often wonder about companies abilities to suddenly ramp up production of food stuff.
It is important, as a vegan company could suddenly get a contract from a large food outlet or supermarket.

I've always bristled at the myth that veganism is strictly for the upper classes, people who can afford to spend a lot of money on vegan products because they supposedly cost more than "normal" products. I'm glad to see there are more and more vegan products found in discount stores where the people who can't spend much money on food shop for food. Walmart, Target and the dollar stores are carrying more and more vegan products. This is a good argument to use when people say vegan products are too expensive.

About the Just Mayo at 7 Eleven, will they be using it just for their sandwiches, or will they be stocking their shelves with it, too? The article doesn't say.

I checked their Facebook page and website and didn't see anything mentioning whether or not they will carry it.
But...
I found this. They are going to be in Walmart. Just Mayo hits the big time - Fortune

And this interesting article about the avian flu and how it's made their product even more popular. Sad that it took the slaughter of millions of birds to get people thinking about alternatives, but glad that they are finally doing it. Avian Flu Is the Best Thing That Ever Happened to This Startup | Inc.com

And this....
17bo8pz.jpg

just-ranch.jpg

I've been getting Just Mayo at Walmart for months
I knew about the ranch, but not the pancakes :eek:

I wish they would ditch that ugly egg-shaped logo for a round one....

... and start selling their stuff abroad.

I wish they would ditch that ugly egg-shaped logo for a round one....

... and start selling their stuff abroad.
They've started selling it in Hong Kong.
Hampton Creek CEO Josh Tetrick already sells his mayonnaise on the shelves of Safeway, Dollar Tree, Kroger, and Costco. His product is in ParknShops in Hong Kong.

Yes, that sounds good!

Although, to be honest, I do not consume much mayo, because vegan or not, it is mostly fat.
And since we found a great recipe for making our own, I have not even been buying Plamill any more...

I buy it at Vons, probably at a higher mark-up than Walmart, but less than Whole foods. o_O
...Tetrick followed the same strategy when he struck a deal with Compass Group USA, the nation's largest food-service company, and its procurement arm, Foodbuy, to sell Hampton Creek products to health-care organizations, senior living centers, universities and other institutional food providers. "We're the only cookie or the only mayo at Boeing, HP, Google and [Lucasfilm's] Skywalker Ranch," boasted Tetrick about contracts with corporate cafeterias. "That's a huge part of our company."...
:up:

The video in the article says they're also working on pasta, custard, and yogurt.

Bill Gates backs high-tech foods for the masses

I was going to post another video but it seems like he's been on every business, financial, and news show there is, so it's too hard to pick one. So, here's all of them. Well, not the actual videos, just a link to them. :p
Hampton Creek

I buy it at Vons, probably at a higher mark-up than Walmart, but less than Whole foods. o_O
:up:

The video in the article says they're also working on pasta, custard, and yogurt.

Bill Gates backs high-tech foods for the masses

I was going to post another video but it seems like he's been on every business, financial, and news show there is, so it's too hard to pick one. So, here's all of them. Well, not the actual videos, just a link to them. [emoji14]
Hampton Creek
Oh please, I want some non-dairy non- soy yogurt with a tang, please Hampton Creek, thankyouverymuch.

Maybe if these products start to become popular, the justification for subsidizing the animal products fades away.

On the contrary, they will be clamoring for more subsidies, citing "historic reasons" why we need to conserve animal abuse....