Whole Foods Recall

thefadedone

Needs a life
Reaction score
OMG! This is awful. I really hope this hasn't affected any VV members. While I understand mistakes happen, this isn't the first time I've read about a story like this from WF.

http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm351564.htm?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/09/whole-foods-error_n_3249651.html

The allergy issue is a huge deal, but the fact that vegans unknowingly consumed animals is also a BIG deal! I have yet to read an article or hear a news report mention anything about that. For once I'm glad I don't live near a WF.

Reactions: Tom L.
Would you not be able to tell before eating? Anyway I'd be willing to bet it wasn't a mistake, probably some backroom worker who thought it would be "funny" to switch labels.

Would you not be able to tell before eating? Anyway I'd be willing to bet it wasn't a mistake, probably some backroom worker who thought it would be "funny" to switch labels.

Ya know, I would normally say yes of course I would know the difference but apparently the new Beyond Meat chicken is so overwhelming convincing that it's freaked out many long time vegans.:shrug:

Ugh, that really makes sense about it possibly being intentional.

When eaten plain, Beyond Meat has a distinct plant-like flavor. (I don't know how else to describe it.)

But once it's chopped and mixed with other stuff, especially Vegenaise and curry, Beyond Meat is VERY much like actual chicken. The texture is spot-on, too. I remember chicken salad tasting mostly like all the other stuff, with the chicken just sort of being there, adding texture. That's how the vegan chik'n salads made with Beyond Meat are.

I've had that curried chik'n salad, and I always have to double check the labels, as it's on the shelf right next to the regular chicken salad, and they look exactly the same.

When they used to make it with Gardein, there was a bigger difference in both flavor and appearance.

I'd be ****** if that happened to me
But I am kinda ****** it happened to other vegans. :(

The current problem is confined to the northeast: Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Jersey and New York. But if this kind of thing has happened before, I'd hate to think that somebody in another part of the country ate the wrong thing without realizing it. Somebody such as me. :fp: :sob:

The articles probably only mention allergy, and not ethical issues, as the allergy problem could easily get them into legal trouble.

The articles probably only mention allergy, and not ethical issues, as the allergy problem could easily get them into legal trouble.

Yeah, cause somebody with an allergy can get really sick and sue the company, whereas who cares if a veg*an eats chicken, intentionally or not? :rolleyes:

(Not making fun of your post, agreeing that ethical concerns are rarely, if ever, expressed)

Yeah, cause somebody with an allergy can get really sick and sue the company, whereas who cares if a veg*an eats chicken, intentionally or not? :rolleyes:

According to the comments, not many. Of course, I recall the outrage when people discovered that horse meat was being labeled as cow beef, but I suppose that is completely different. [/sarcasm]

Sheesh. With what I've heard Whole Foods charges, you wouldn't expect mistakes like this. (We recently got a Trader Joe's in my area but I don't think there are any Whole Foods here yet- I've just heard WF are very pricey)

I saw this and was totally appalled. I don't shop there as the only one in my area is about an hour drive. I have been there ONCE and yes... it is expensive.

Its alarming that a place the cators to healthy eating and also alternative food choices would do such a thing and also the comments on huffington post is extremely bad with people debunking Veganism.

I shop at the West Hartford, CT, store all the time, but I am glad I didn't buy that vegan salad. It makes me wonder about their other prepared food, though. I would be so mad if I unknowingly ate meat. UGH. It reminds me of the McDonald's french fries situation when it came out that they were using beef tallow in the fries. Blech.

Its alarming that a place the cators to healthy eating and also alternative food choices would do such a thing and also the comments on huffington post is extremely bad with people debunking Veganism.

People are involved and people are prone to make mistakes. I'd be willing to bet the management of WF is appalled, not only in the PR headache, but like any business they want to keep their customers happy which means not mislabeling stuff.

This is one of the many reasons I steer clear of processed/packaged foods as much as possible... there is no way to be entirely certain of what is in it or what has been done to it.

People are involved and people are prone to make mistakes. I'd be willing to bet the management of WF is appalled, not only in the PR headache, but like any business they want to keep their customers happy which means not mislabeling stuff.

This is one of the many reasons I steer clear of processed/packaged foods as much as possible... there is no way to be entirely certain of what is in it or what has been done to it.
Exactly...I eat some of the prepared food occasionally, but I prefer making my own food.