News Whole Foods execs apologize for overcharging

beancounter

The Fire That Burns Within
Reaction score
Whole Foods execs apologize for overcharging

"The New York City Department of Consumer Affairs released the results of an investigation on June 24 that alleged the area's Whole Foods stores had consistently listed improper weights on prepackaged food, resulting in overcharges from 80 cents to nearly $15 an item. The department tested 80 product categories across the eight Whole Foods stores open at the time (one more has since opened)."

I have only been in there a couple of times. I thought it was already known that they over change for everything. I think of whole foods like designer clothing you shop there because it is a status symbol of having money.

I shop there because it's the only place that carries certain vegan items. I hate how much some of it costs.

I thought the over charging issue was that they were intentionally mis-marking items they were weighing and then packaging...like chicken (ewww).

Reactions: ledboots
I am confused about how this was done or orchestrated. Also, why New York City? What about Whole Foods stores in other locations?

I am confused about how this was done or orchestrated. Also, why New York City? What about Whole Foods stores in other locations?

A NYC agency investigated, so that's why the story is about overcharges in NYC, where the investigation took place.

A NYC agency investigated, so that's why the story is about overcharges in NYC, where the investigation took place.

That part I understand. But there are similar government agencies in cities all over the country that have Whole Foods stores.

Robb and Mackey outlined steps the company plans to take to ensure pricing accuracy, including increasing training in stores across the country, implementing a third-party auditing system and reporting initial results back to customers in 45 days.
They should also include scales for the customers to use to check for themselves.

The place where I get my food stopped carrying my rice.

11069858_10206200640872069_773970484675963920_n.jpg

Whole Foods has my rice, but 40 cents more.

Last time I was at Whole Foods in London it almost made me want to join the communist party. The clientele consists almost exclusively of spoiled rotten rich people, class enemies of everyone who actually does productive work to the benefit of society.

So I suspect most of their customers won't really care too much about the overcharging.

Last edited:
Last time I was at Whole Foods in London it almost made me want to join the communist party. The clientele consists almost exclusively of spoiled rotten rich people, class enemies of everyone who actually does productive work to the benefit of society.

So I suspect most of their customers won't really care too much about the overcharging.

Lol. How could you tell that from just looking at them?:rolleyes::D

WF is pretty expensive though from what I remember.

Probably accurate.

Male intuition. Being female, you wouldn't understand. :)

Oh, of course.:D I used to go in there for lunch occasionally and I assumed most of the other people in there were just people like me who worked in Central London.

I do like the vegan range in there, it's pretty impressive. If I lived near to a store and could afford to I would probably shop there more often.

I go there for things I can't find anywhere else. I do admit to liking their selection of vegan treats. They can come in handy when I don't feel like making a whole batch of something. But between this and the rabbit meat controversy, I'm thinking of not shopping there anymore.

That's really crumby! I used to shop there all the time. You know Whole Foods has been under fire too many times in the past few years for shady practices...

Whole Foods is the closest food store to my house, so I do shop there, but selectively, due to the high prices. The clientele seem pretty normal to me: people like me on their way home from work. The staff are nice and seem hardworking, and so much vegan food!

I hope WF has to refund the people they have ripped off.

Reactions: PTree15
My local Whole Foods seems to have a not too stuffy clientele. I also shop there, about once a month, for the vegan specialty items that I can't find in my supermarket. I pay $1.00 less for the creamy cashew ice cream in WF ($6.49) than I do in Mrs. Greens ($7.49). And Walmart in SC had it cheaper, still, at $4.49...crazy!

My local Whole Foods seems to have a not too stuffy clientele. I also shop there, about once a month, for the vegan specialty items that I can't find in my supermarket. I pay $1.00 less for the creamy cashew ice cream in WF ($6.49) than I do in Mrs. Greens ($7.49). And Walmart in SC had it cheaper, still, at $4.49...crazy!
I actually have two Whole Foods I can go to in my area, and both have pretty snooty clientele, but that doesn't really bother me. I mostly hate the high prices on certain things. :D