While Most Eat Enough For Three, Vegans Starve on Cruise Ships

Calliegirl

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
This was written by a vegan who worked on a cruise ship. She wanted everyone to know what actually goes on regarding the food.

The good news? I will lose 15 pounds in a month. The bad news? My calorie intake is considered “starving”. My name is Kiki and I am one of the many vegans working on board a Cruise Ship.

Traveling has always been a priority for me, so when I received an offer to be a Cruise Director, you better believe I accepted that offer. At the ripe age of twenty-one I was sailing the seven seas and living the dream being paid to be the “face and voice” of a company that could not provide me the basic human right of eating. I was lucky because I had a high ranking position which allowed me to befriend the Executive Chef, which helped immensely. However, my last contract led me to realize that I need to speak up for the vegans who aren’t high ranking officers...

While Most Eat Enough For Three, Vegans Starve on Cruise Ships: A Day in the Life of A Vegan Employee.

That is one of the main reasons I've never bothered to go on a cruise. It would be a waste of money, especially if meals are included (thought I'm not sure they are). Seriously, how hard is it to have veggie burgers, tofu as a protein option, a dairy-free pizza or other foods that should be accidentally vegan and aren't because of some ridiculous nonessential non-vegan ingredient? Yes, it might take work, but seriously, there are so many easy ways to make meals vegan. With chefs, I know there is a bias against veg*n cooking, but they really should educate themselves and see what high-end vegan chefs are doing with vegetables. Rich Landau and Kate Jacoby in Philadelphia are a perfect example.

I'm wondering which company the author works for... I was a little nervous going on a cruise as a vegan earlier this year, but it was actually totally fine - plenty of vegan options at almost every food place (exceptions being the ice cream place and the steakhouse), a custom-cooked three course meal every night, and staff who were more than happy to tell you exactly what was and wasn't suitable. The chef even attempted to make vegan cake - not the best I've had, but perfectly tasty and I really appreciated the effort.

And, there are more and more 100% vegan cruises cropping up too :)

I'm wondering which company the author works for... I was a little nervous going on a cruise as a vegan earlier this year, but it was actually totally fine - plenty of vegan options at almost every food place (exceptions being the ice cream place and the steakhouse), a custom-cooked three course meal every night, and staff who were more than happy to tell you exactly what was and wasn't suitable. The chef even attempted to make vegan cake - not the best I've had, but perfectly tasty and I really appreciated the effort.

And, there are more and more 100% vegan cruises cropping up too :)
I thought I remembered you having a good experience. I suppose it depends on the company and its willingness to work with a customer. A vegan cruise would be great, I must say, though no one I know would go with me, haha.

I thought I remembered you having a good experience. I suppose it depends on the company and its willingness to work with a customer. A vegan cruise would be great, I must say, though no one I know would go with me, haha.

We're looking at going on a 5-day vegan cruise over next new year's - I'd happily travel with the company we used this year again, but I'd absolutely love to be able to eat and drink everything without asking :p

We're looking at going on a 5-day vegan cruise over next new year's - I'd happily travel with the company we used this year again, but I'd absolutely love to be able to eat and drink everything without asking :p
Agreed!! It takes away a lot of stress, and heck, you want to be able to relax on a cruise!

Her Facebook page says she worked for Holland America Line (HAL Cruises).

It might also be different for a paying customer and for an employee.

While I read her article, I think her requests are going too far.
Cruise lines do not have to go vegan (yes, they should, but it is not likely), but they certainly have to offer valid options for vegans (in a way that they are not cross-contaminated by non-vegans).

I, personally, however, would try to go on one of those vegan cruises that I have seen advertised!

Last edited: