Romney's taxes

Out of those:

Abortion
Animal rights
The economy
The environment
Social security
Gay rights

Not in that order. Probably if I had to pick one it would be social security, because I see very troubling attitudes and changes in this country now.

Reactions: RabbitLuvr
I'm still in denial that Romney's taxes and Obama's birthplace have gotten more media attention than some of the other issues. For me:
1.Peak oil/other resources
2.Animal rights
3.The environment
4.Immigration
5.Health care
6.The economy
7.Federal debt
8.Education
9.Taxes
10.Social security
11.Gay rights issues
12.Terrorism
13.Abortion
14.(tie)Romney's taxes
Obama's birthplace

If I were sitting at a desk, I'd be banging my head on it at the thought that anyone is still mentioning Obama's birthplace as an issue.

As it is, I have just decided that there is absolutely no hope for the human race because it keeps declining further into stupidity.

If I were sitting at a desk, I'd be banging my head on it at the thought that anyone is still mentioning Obama's birthplace as an issue.

As it is, I have just decided that there is absolutely no hope for the human race because it keeps declining further into stupidity.

Could not agree more.

Reactions: FortyTwo
  • LGBT issues
  • Women's issues
  • Criminal justice reform
  • Race issues (for lack of a better term)
  • Workers' rights
  • Immigration issues
  • Animal rights
  • Environmental issues
  • Barack Obama's jump shot

I'd argue Romney's taxes are just as meaningless to ordinary people as Obama's birthplace is.

I'd have to go with personal liberties as my primary issue. When you have presidents and congress wiping their collective asses with the Bill of Rights, it makes me more than a bit angry. When personal freedom is wiped away in the name of terrorism or 'security' (whatever the hell that is), there is no USA anymore. But that's just me

Reactions: ledboots
I'd argue Romney's taxes are just as meaningless to ordinary people as Obama's birthplace is.

The meaningfulness is not the issue. What I was commenting on is the mindblowing unbelievability of mental processes that (still) question Obama's birthplace.

I can't believe women's issues didn't even warrant a blip on your list (and no, "abortion" is not synonymous with women's issues), but Obama's birthplace (the most non-issueyist of non-issues) did.

I despair for America.
Why would I put female issues but not male issues? What I consider to be the most important issue in the world(the human overpopulation issue) wasn't even on here. I was looking at a site and they had a list of some of the important issues in a poll. I added Obama's birthplace and Romney's taxes in as a joke.

What troubles me is how there seems to be a growing number of horrible crimes happening. I look at the news and there always stories about parents killing their kids, teenagers going on shooting sprees, and recently, there was a teenage serial killer.

My mom told me back in the 50s, a guy got killed in a robbery/kidnap situation and that was such a huge story that it was in the headlines for 2 weeks. It was appalling to everyone that someone had been killed. Now, unthinkable acts are just footnotes on a news page.

What the hell is going on? Why are such acts escalating at an exponential rate?

What troubles me is how there seems to be a growing number of horrible crimes happening. I look at the news and there always stories about parents killing their kids, teenagers going on shooting sprees, and recently, there was a teenage serial killer.

My mom told me back in the 50s, a guy got killed in a robbery/kidnap situation and that was such a huge story that it was in the headlines for 2 weeks. It was appalling to everyone that someone had been killed. Now, unthinkable acts are just footnotes on a news page.

What the hell is going on? Why are such acts escalating at an exponential rate?
It's the media. They choose what to focus on. Violent crime is actually decreasing in the US, according to the FBI stats.

U.S. NEWS11Jun2012

FBI: Violent crime rates in the US drop, approach historic lows

By Andrew Mach, NBC News
Violent crime rates in the U.S. are reaching historic lows, according to new FBI data released Monday.Instances of murder declined overall by 1.9 percent from 2010 figures, while rape, robbery and aggravated assault declined by 4 percent nationwide, according to records from more than 14,000 law-enforcement agencies around the country, FBI spokesman Bill Carter told msnbc.com.The number of property crimes also registered a 0.8-percent drop, motor-vehicle thefts declined by 3.3 percent, and arson was down by 5 percent.Although the findings, released in the FBI’s Preliminary Annual Uniform Crime Report, represent a seemingly small decline in crime overall, they aren’t just a blip. Rather, criminologists say, the decline is part of larger downward trend and the result of a series of changes that have contributed to a more peaceful society. http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/201...es-in-the-us-drop-approach-historic-lows?lite

Yes, violent crime actually continues to decrease pretty steadily.

I can't lay all the blame for the misperceptions on the media, though - the media tends to focus on the stories that *sell*, so ultimately the public is responsible for the craptastic job that the media is doing, with our short attention spans and our taste for yellow journalism.

My most important issue is Financial Industry reform and regulation.

Many of the rules haven't even put in place yet, and Romney has indicated he wants to deregulate the financial industry.

Without any meaningful regs in place to prevent a repeat of 2008, I'm sure we'll see another disaster within a decade.

Reactions: Blobbenstein