• Total voters

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Which is the better integration policy towards newcomers to a country:
  1. The "Salad Bowl" multicultural approach as in the US - "pure" cultures exist side by side with the mixed culture of the majority.
  2. The "Paralell Societies" branch of multiculturalism, perhaps examplified in the UK.
  3. Assimilation and focus on national cohesion a'la France.
  4. Something else?
It is said that the French Constitution recognizes individuals rather than groups, and this is why the government doesn't want to encourage religious or ethnic identities. I suppose this also helps to explain the French bans on headscarves, face veils, and other religious symbols in public schools.

More broadly, is it not better to protect the rights of "individuals rather than groups"? And doesn't this sound a lot like what animal rights advocates are arguing for? Conservationists on the other hand are usually more concerned with protecting species (i.e. groups).

Ah, that is a good question, that deserves wider discussion.
Must give it some more thought myself... am currently deciding whether I rather like "Salad Bowl" or "Assimilation and National Cohesion".

"Parallel society" might not be working so well.

On one level I'm partial to the French approach, but clearly France still has huge problems with integration of many of its immigrants (mainly Muslims, I believe) who have ended up in ghettos from which riots have broken out in recent times.

If one insists on assimilation, then how to deal with immigrants who refuse to be assimilated, or who is somehow unable to make the necessary adaptations?

On one level I'm partial to the French approach, but clearly France still has huge problems with integration of many of its immigrants (mainly Muslims, I believe) who have ended up in ghettos from which riots have broken out in recent times.

If one insists on assimilation, then how to deal with immigrants who refuse to be assimilated, or who is somehow unable to make the necessary adaptations?
Integration can be difficult, with language and cultural barriers. In a system like France uses, maybe having people who immigrate there aware of the laws of the land ahead of time would help.