Media Where to get protein!

Queen V

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Hey guys!

Here's my most recent video - all about getting vegan protein. Please have a watch and share / subscribe / comment if you enjoyed it xxx

I liked the video format for sure. I disagree with the protein requirements, unless you are talking about sedentary individuals or possibly extreme endurance athletes. 56g of protein for a power or strength athlete would not be nearly enough. Look at vegans like David Carter who had to eat nearly 300g of protein per day while competing in the NFL. Or smaller guys like John Venus who are vegan physique guys. They recommend the more standard protein requirements for bodybuilders. In order to keep a positive nitrogen balance and muscle protein synthesis going, I've seen recommendations of about .8g-1g per pound of lean body mass. So you don't count fat weight, but you do need to keep your muscles fueled so they can continue to grow when stressed.

I went vegan about 6 weeks ago now. A few weeks prior to that I ran a vegan diet for week, but my lifts were regressing. Basically I was not recovering for my next workouts when I was eating around 170g of protein per day. After doing more research and looking at other vegan strength athletes, many recommended the amount I listed above. For me that is about 270g of protein per day. Now the second time around I am sticking with macros more like 270g protein, 730-750g carbs, and 75-80g of fat, and I feel much better. I am recovering for my workouts and making progress again.

Not a problem. I really did like the video! I think most people are probably too protein obsessed, especially if they are pretty sedentary. But a number like 56g would shock a lot of people. I think a better message is that you can get any amount of protein you need on a vegan diet, even if you are a pro bodybuilder or NFL lineman. This would put people at ease about not having enough protein.

Oh yeah absolutely! I'm definitely going to a video on vegan body builders / athletes in the next few months

Well, I am a vegan and I practice quite a lot of sport. I also used to be a Rickshaw Rider for about 1 year and a half.
What I've noticed so far is that we don't really need that much. For me, when doing sports, I get a lot of energy and I forget about hunger :)
Here you can find more about proteins and meatless foods rich in proteins: https://goo.gl/9tCiVz

All the best!

I liked the video format for sure. I disagree with the protein requirements, unless you are talking about sedentary individuals or possibly extreme endurance athletes. 56g of protein for a power or strength athlete would not be nearly enough. Look at vegans like David Carter who had to eat nearly 300g of protein per day while competing in the NFL. Or smaller guys like John Venus who are vegan physique guys. They recommend the more standard protein requirements for bodybuilders. In order to keep a positive nitrogen balance and muscle protein synthesis going, I've seen recommendations of about .8g-1g per pound of lean body mass. So you don't count fat weight, but you do need to keep your muscles fueled so they can continue to grow when stressed.

I went vegan about 6 weeks ago now. A few weeks prior to that I ran a vegan diet for week, but my lifts were regressing. Basically I was not recovering for my next workouts when I was eating around 170g of protein per day. After doing more research and looking at other vegan strength athletes, many recommended the amount I listed above. For me that is about 270g of protein per day. Now the second time around I am sticking with macros more like 270g protein, 730-750g carbs, and 75-80g of fat, and I feel much better. I am recovering for my workouts and making progress again.
I'm just curious: Where do you get your protein sources from? Like complete proteins and stuff like that? Considering you consume so low amounts of fats, I assume you're not eating that many nuts or whatever?

I'm just curious: Where do you get your protein sources from? Like complete proteins and stuff like that? Considering you consume so low amounts of fats, I assume you're not eating that many nuts or whatever?

I either try to get it from complete sources like soy or my one plant based protein shake per day, or I try to combo up the proteins to get a better amino acid profile. A big one I use is rice and beans. I actually do eat a cup of nuts a day, which gets me about 38 of the 78 grams.

I either try to get it from complete sources like soy or my one plant based protein shake per day, or I try to combo up the proteins to get a better amino acid profile. A big one I use is rice and beans. I actually do eat a cup of nuts a day, which gets me about 38 of the 78 grams.
Coolio then! :D