Where Can I Get Vegan Support?

Kitties

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Besides here anyway. I don't feel I have any and it's really getting me down. I used to go to Farm Sanctuary events twice a year and that always helped me and I looked forward to them so much. But I don't feel comfortable there anymore. I don't seem to fit in with the vegan aesthetic. And no one is going to convince me there isn't one. I don't think they like fat people. I just feel so unhappy about it right now. I've been vegan almost 9 years and right now I don't give a crap about it.

Sorry, Kitties. I don't have any suggestions for you. I guess I never thought about it that much. I don't have any veg*n friends or family IRL but they are always very respectful/accepting of my dietary choices.

Hey girl. I'm so sorry you are feeling this way! I'm a fairly new vegan and have a little bit of support with some family members but that's it. I mostly get teased for it or asked a million dumb questions. Do you follow any vegan youtubers? There are a few really awesome ones out there

Reactions: Kitties
I see you're in California. If you're near the Inland Empire at all, you should join the Inland Empire Vegan Meet-up Group. There are people of all sizes in the group and I've never seen anyone act judgmental or like they were better than anyone else in the group. They usually try to go to a Farm Sanctuary Volunteer day every year as a group. They also have a very supportive Facebook group you could join regardless of where you live.

Inland Empire Vegan Meetup (Rancho Cucamonga, CA)- Meetup
Facebook

Last edited:
Reactions: Kitties
Meetup groups are great places to meet vegans. You might also search for animal rights groups or vegetarian societies in your area.

I don't seem to fit in with the vegan aesthetic. And no one is going to convince me there isn't one.

I absolutely empathise Kitties I have been avoiding activities where I don't fit in because of my size all my life

. And honestly? I don't know how much was them staring and how much was me feeling big ,akward and out of place.

I won't say it doesn't exist I know it does. But so does allowing it to.

Don't allow your own insecurities to give them the power to make you feel an outsider.

You don't fit the stereo type ? So change it! . Sod them! Let them stare . Maybe the stereo type of Vegans is only as thin because no one ever challenges it or offers an alternative?

Who gave them the monopoly on caring? And why are they staring? are they there for the animals or for a fashion show???

Overweight people have a habit of staying in the shadows staying out of the limelight like some kind of apology.

Make no apologies for who you are and what you believe in .. especially regarding animal welfare. It is too important and very one is needed!!!

. Be at the front there pushing forward with words and actions that make the group notice you. For all the right reasons. Your image will cease to be relevant to them or to you.

Ps Carving my own groove as it happens...50 something , overweight mum with thirty years of physical inactivity behind her hits the gym for Karate! ! Long and lean meets mr blobby! Lol

And when the team photos are snapped I won't be an apology at the back but up front showing that everyone fits in . I am not a stereo type but with a bit of luck I Might spur someone else who thought they wouldn't fit in give it a go!!!

Thanks everyone. I've been away awhile. Right now I just still feel down about the whole thing. I'm in Northern California so that particular meet-up wouldn't work. And the facebook page isn't available. Thanks for the links though. And thank you especially Ann Chovie for your post.

They just changed the setting on the Facebook group from open to secret, some of the members didn't want their friends to see what they were posting. If you do want to join, you can pm me your Facebook info and I can get an admin to add you.

They just changed the setting on the Facebook group from open to secret, some of the members didn't want their friends to see what they were posting. If you do want to join, you can pm me your Facebook info and I can get an admin to add you.
That's really nice of you but they are in Southern California and I doubt the group would work for me. Thanks anyway.

This has been a really nice board. Everyone here is respectful. But after almost 9 years of being vegan I'm really struggling with it. I never thought this would happen. But I don't fit in with the vegan esthetic and I'm not sure how much rejection in this area I can take. I don't know if I want to be vegan anymore so I'm going to leave the board. I'm not a popular poster but it's been a nice place. Thanks everyone.

:( Sorry to see you go, Kitties. Hope you will reconsider and that we will see you again.

ETA: you don't have to be vegan to stay here. I sent you a pm. :hug:

Last edited:
This has been a really nice board. Everyone here is respectful. But after almost 9 years of being vegan I'm really struggling with it. I never thought this would happen. But I don't fit in with the vegan esthetic and I'm not sure how much rejection in this area I can take. I don't know if I want to be vegan anymore so I'm going to leave the board. I'm not a popular poster but it's been a nice place. Thanks everyone.

Hi Kitties,
I love reading your posts and will miss you. My opinion is, F the "vegan esthetic". At most vegan meetups I've been to, people have been nice, but they seem to be the most interested in the pet rescue area, and while of course I know of its importance, I am more interested in stopping the torture and death of "farm" animals.

I am also way older than most of the vegans that attend, and I know some of them aren't thrilled with my hip-length braid, little or no makeup and jewelry, and Birkenstocks. One college-age vegan said that "hippies give the vegan movement a bad name", gesturing at me. I'm not letting that go, so I asked her if her piercings, neck tattoos, and half-shaved head look was more socially acceptable here in Florida. And asked her what I should label *her*, since she labeled me a hippie in a derogatory way.

It's probably way easier for me because I am married to a vegan and our vegan son lives with us, our kitchen only has vegan food, etc.

Peace and love. ;) And war is bad for children and other living things. :D
[Please stay.]

Reactions: KLS52
Sorry to hear you're having a hard time, Kitties. I'm probably older than most vegans too, and I think age is more important to the "aesthetic" than veganism itself. The meet-ups around Oxford that I've been to have been dominated by students who are typically in their early twenties. Bless them, nothing wrong with that, but it's not that easy to connect with people who weren't even born when the amazing Commodore 64 reigned supreme, or think 90s music is "retro"! (I spent the 90s listening to what was then retro, so I'm fairly clueless about actual 90s music ...)

I so hear you, Indian Summer and Ledboots. And I'm sorry to see you go, Kitties. I have enjoyed your posts. Don't give up just because people are jerks. I joined a vegan meetup, but I've yet to attend any because of the age thing as well. I'm in my 50s, and I think the oldest regular attendee is 30 or so. I don't wear a lot of makeup, either. I call myself LL Bean-chic, lol. I'm a jeans and t-shirt kind of gal, though I do have tats and I like jewelry. :D. Still, I feel too old for that group. It's funny, because I don't let my age affect other activities that involve mostly young people (like going to concerts). I guess I don't feel like being judged for my appearance and my not getting involved very much with protesting (though I'd like to change that at some point). Until recently, I'd been overweight as well, and I would get those snarky people saying, Well, you don't LOOK like a vegan. And I'd be like, Well, what do you think vegans look like? Then they'd shut up, but the implication was that I was too fat to be one. I always tell people that there is plenty of cruelty-free junk food out there along with the roots and tubers. :D