When high-profile vegans quit veganism

Amy SF

Dweller in nature
Supporter
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
I admit I never heard of this guy or the company he founded until this BuzzFeed article popped up in my Facebook feed, but it annoys me whenever a vegan not only abruptly stops being vegan but seems a bit smug about it, like they decided that they made a HUGE mistake going vegan and now they have to tell the whole world about it. What about all the people who were inspired by his veganism and business ethics? Are they supposed to stop being vegan, too, just because this guy suddenly can’t live without animal products in his diet?

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/articl...ampaign=bffbbuzzfeednews&ref=bffbbuzzfeednews

Reactions: Tom L.
I know nothing about the guy beyond what I read in that article, but judging by some of the measures he took to try and fix his health issues, it sounds like perhaps he's not all that knowledgeable about nutrition. (I'm thinking of the 35-day water fast, the urine drinking ...) Perhaps he was another victim of 'voodoo veganism', i.e. the kind of veganism that rejects science and believes in magical 'super foods', not supplementing, not vaccinating, homeopathy, and so forth.

The rational thing to do, in my opinion, would have been to reach out to other, more seasoned vegan athletes, to learn about their diets, as well as making sure he was getting enough vit. B12, D, calcium and so on. Also, portion sizes, food allergies and mental health can impact digestion. Edited to add: ... also sufficient water / liquid intake.

Last edited:
Reactions: Val and KLS52