Wheat allergy and meal idea struggles!?

Jane99

Newcomer
Reaction score
hello I have just joined the group today as I am a new vegan. I have a slight problem in that I cannot eat any wheat and I cannot eat any vegan quorn/meat style products. I would really appreciate some meal ideas. I love all vegetable and fruit but my meals seem a bit lacking. I prefer to make my own foods from fresh ingredients. I'm really excited about my new vegan lifestyle and would love to hear from other members with some new ideas.
Many thanks
Jane X

I cannot eat any wheat and I cannot eat any vegan quorn/meat style products. I would really appreciate some meal ideas.

Hi Jane99, I also struggle with wheat and gluten (but do sometimes have it despite the impending headaches the next day!) Sounds as though you like to cook so the exciting part is that with a little experimentation you can come up with great meals, snacks and desserts. I made banana loaf today and had run out of flour, but I did have Quiona Flour, Coconut Flour and Gluten Free Oats (which I ground into flour in a nut grinder). My husband said it tasted better than the wheat flour version!

As you already know rice is your friend when you're wheat/gluten free. Here are just a couple of rice dish ideas:
  • Bean chilli with mushrooms and veggies (carrots will provide some sweetness)
  • Indian curries are packed with flavour - you can make them with any veggies, firm tofu (cauldron) or potatoes and you only really need a few spices to make a good home cooked curry like my mum used to make (garam masala, red chilli powder, turmeric, corriander powder, cumin, salt) - experiment with quantities to your liking once you've followed a couple of recipes. Add a sprinkling of hing / asafoedita to the rice and it will suddenly become moreish! If you like sweetness then add in finely chopped mango (works well with yellow lentils / daal)
  • Make some spicy salsa in your blender with mangoes, paprika, red chilli powder, spring onions, cherry tomatoes and if you have it a few spoons of pomegranate molasses, and heap it over rice with black beans with smoked vegan cheese lightly melted into it
  • Spicy sweet potato wedges with sumac and lime rice and a dollop of soya yoghurt (add lime juice to the rice) and some side veg
  • Thai curry made with stir fried aubergine, fresh pineapple chunks, onions, broccoli, chopped up ginger, garlic, turmeric powder, paprika, some green chilli and either kaffir lime leaves and lime juice or star anise and a sprinkling of nutmeg.
  • Chinese stir fry with a "satay" sauce made with Raw Coconut Aminos, Peanut butter (or light tahini), garlic, chopped up cherry toms or tomato puree.
I don't go for meat substitutes so much myself because like you I prefer to cook from scratch, but the PurelyVegan store near me has a huge selection of substitutes of "non-Quorn" substitutes with brands like Tofurkey and Mheat, so it's possible get hold of vegan alternatives if you do fancy them.

Hi Jane99, I also struggle with wheat and gluten (but do sometimes have it despite the impending headaches the next day!) Sounds as though you like to cook so the exciting part is that with a little experimentation you can come up with great meals, snacks and desserts. I made banana loaf today and had run out of flour, but I did have Quiona Flour, Coconut Flour and Gluten Free Oats (which I ground into flour in a nut grinder). My husband said it tasted better than the wheat flour version!

As you already know rice is your friend when you're wheat/gluten free. Here are just a couple of rice dish ideas:
  • Indian curries are packed with flavour - you can make them with any veggies, firm tofu (cauldron) or potatoes and you only really need a few spices to make a good home cooked curry like my mum used to make (garam masala, red chilli powder, turmeric, corriander powder, cumin, salt) - experiment with quantities to your liking once you've followed a couple of recipes. Add a sprinkling of hing / asafoedita to the rice and it will suddenly become moreish! If you like sweetness then add in finely chopped mango (works well with yellow lentils / daal)
  • Make some spicy salsa in your blender with mangoes, paprika, red chilli powder, spring onions, cherry tomatoes and if you have it a few spoons of pomegranate molasses, and heap it over rice with black beans with smoked vegan cheese lightly melted into it
  • Spicy sweet potato wedges with sumac and lime rice and a dollop of soya yoghurt (add lime juice to the rice) and some side veg
  • Thai curry made with stir fried aubergine, fresh pineapple chunks, onions, broccoli, chopped up ginger, garlic, turmeric powder, paprika, some green chilli and either kaffir lime leaves and lime juice or star anise and a sprinkling of nutmeg.
  • Chinese stir fry with a "satay" sauce made with Raw Coconut Aminos, Peanut butter (or light tahini), garlic, chopped up cherry toms or tomato puree.
I don't go for meat substitutes so much myself because like you I prefer to cook from scratch, but the PurelyVegan store near me has a huge selection of substitutes of "non-Quorn" substitutes with brands like Tofurkey and Mheat, so it's possible get hold of vegan alternatives if you do fancy them.

Hi Lava flo, thank you so much for these great recipe ideas. I'll be trying them out as they all sound lovely. I've just got back from buying all my veggies so I think a curry is order for today Thanks again, and have a wonderful weekend. Jane

Reactions: Lava Flo