What's your Thanksgiving 'main dish'?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RubyMoonlight

Newcomer
Reaction score
So this will be my third compassionate Thanksgiving and I want to try something new! Went with a Tofurkey Roast the first year and that was kinda blah- I'm not really into the fake stuff. So last year I wanted something colorful and went with black bean/quinoa stuffed bell peppers. Really good but I make that dish all the time and this year I want something different.

What dishes have you tried or want to try this year?

(Not sure if this thread belongs here or the recipes area so mods can move if needed.)

I moved your thread over to General Food & Drink Discussion for you. It didn't have to be moved, but you'll probably get more replies here :)

We don't celebrate thanksgiving in the UK so I don't have any specific advice, but for special occasions I quite like a wellington, these recipes are good: portobello wellington and mushroom and chestnut wellington and chestnut and red wine pate en croute. I think they go well with a typical meat, veg, potatoes set up you traditionally get at celebration meals. I.e. you can have something like this with veg and potatoes, so you're not eating something completely different, and you can eat all the sides too and still feel festive/traditional. The flavourings are rich, they are filling and comfort-food-y. So that's what I tend to do at Christmas/Easter/etc, if it's up to me.

Oh, goody! I get to post this recipe again! :starshower:

http://www.indiadivine.org/audarya/vegetarian-forum/1326775-three-sisters-stew-moosewood.html

It's called Three Sisters Stew and it's perfect for Thanksgiving! The main ingredients are corn, beans and squash (the Three Sisters), but beyond that you can vary the ingredients a little if you want. It has a rich, hearty flavor that warms you up on a cold autumn night and has lots of protein! (So you can use it to deflect the annoying "Where do you get your protein" question from the omnis in the room.) You can make it for yourself and other veg*ans as an entree, and it also makes a nice side dish for the omnis. And trust me, they'll like it. And best of all, even though it's labeled vegetarian, it's actually vegan, so you don't have to worry about veganizing it. Don't forget to put out some bowls for it as it's a stew. And if you add water, be sure not to add too much or it will thin it out too much and turn it into soup.

Last edited:
Although we don't do Thanksgiving over here, Christmas is our big turkey-based holiday, so I'm using that as a frame of reference. Last year's mushroom tartlets went down well - my omni brother ignored the turkey in favour of eating three of them. Ratatouille filo parcels are really tasty too (although I had to keep them away from the gravy). And i second Summer Rain's wellington suggestion. I also like to do miniature vegan pigs in blankets and a sage and onion stuffing alongside whatever I make.

Reactions: Freesia
A couple from the years have been spaghetti squash with seitan and mushroom gravy and a homemade vegan ham with a pineapple glaze. The spaghetti squash went over the best between both families, but the ham was well received also.

I don't know! D:

Allergies and a sudden illness have thrown off all my usual go-tos. Canadian Thanksgiving is soon and I'm going to host an orphan's holiday (for the large number of ex-pats who live here) but I have no idea what to make that doesn't have any beans, pulses, gluten, eggplant etc.

A couple from the years have been spaghetti squash with seitan and mushroom gravy and a homemade vegan ham with a pineapple glaze. The spaghetti squash went over the best between both families, but the ham was well received also.

Those all sound fantastic. Can you post the ham recipe?

Okay,so it probably wouldn't work if you used regular flour?I have problems getting the vital wheat gluten.I can get it but it's a drive.

It would turn out more like a giant dumpling. :DYou really do need to use wheat gluten not only for the high protein content but to be able to obtain a firm constitency.

You can always order it on-line from i herb.

It would turn out more like a giant dumpling. :DYou really do need to use wheat gluten not only for the high protein content but to be able to obtain a firm constitency.

You can always order it on-line from i herb.

^This. I've made a seitan turkey one year that is somewhat similar to the ham recipe, but I didn't steam it. I just wrapped the seitan tightly and cooked it for about 45 mins or so. It was amazing.

I love to have chickpea cutlets (recipe from Veganomicon) with a vegan brownish-type gravy. I usually bring extras, and several family members have liked them. Another go-to is a lentil loaf, again with a gravy. I actually have a request from one of my nieces to make the chickpea cutlets for her this year. :D

We do the traditional vegan version of thanksgiving dinner (and test it out about 3 times before the actual day. you know, to make sure it is perfect ;))

We have found that we like Field Roast better than Tofurkey. But the Trader Joes fake turkey comes in second.

Garlic smashed potatoes, veggies, my dad's cranberry sauce recipe (red wine, sugar, cranberries), and some sort of pumpkin cake.

I love to have chickpea cutlets (recipe from Veganomicon) with a vegan brownish-type gravy. I usually bring extras, and several family members have liked them. Another go-to is a lentil loaf, again with a gravy. I actually have a request from one of my nieces to make the chickpea cutlets for her this year. :D

I've done chickpea cutlets on other occasions and they are really good! Chickpeas in general are good and you can do so much with them. Haven't had as much luck with the lentil loaf though- it will taste fine but it falls apart on me...

I've done chickpea cutlets on other occasions and they are really good! Chickpeas in general are good and you can do so much with them. Haven't had as much luck with the lentil loaf though- it will taste fine but it falls apart on me...

What are you using for the binder? Perhaps you should switch to something else.

What are you using for the binder? Perhaps you should switch to something else.
I used "The Magical Loaf Studio" website (http://www.veganlunchbox.com/loaf_studio.html) when I made it last. It's been a while but I'm pretty sure I just used flaxseed meal. It's always been my 'go-to' binder for baking but maybe a veggie loaf is too 'heavy' for it to work right. :???:

Reactions: Everleigh
I did a field roast with cashew nut gravy last year and promptly discovered my son is allergic to tree nuts. One year my former-mother-in-law made us a nice polenta roast that was very nice but I don't know if I have the recipe anymore.

For me, American Thanksgiving was always about the side dishes anyway, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes and glazed carrots, green beans, cranberry sauce, pumpkin pie, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.