What's your favorite Brand of nutritional yeast?....

silva

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Fortified or Non fortified?
Have a favorite brand?
Flakes or powdered?
or do you notice a difference?

I don't have a favourite. They all taste similar to me and I don't really need fortification. I think the flakes taste marginally better than the powder but there's not a lot in it.

I started out using fortified nooch (nutritional yeast slang that's easier to write...) and tried various brands. I've since switched to non fortified and find it tastes far better!
Of all the brands I've used my favorite is Food Alive.
I just taste tested Anthonys with Food Alive, both non fortified, and think Food Alive really does have a 'cheesier' taste. Milder than Anthonys, with smaller flakes. Anthonys I would call more 'nutty', a sharper taste, and has larger flakes that dissolve as easily on the tongue-which wouldn't matter when mixed in things
Food Alive is pricier, which is why I switched to begin with, but now that I made a sauce with it am convinced it will be my regular nooch

I have yet to try Sari brand, which gets rave reviews, but even pricier!
I find Food Alive at about $10 for 6 oz on Vitacost, sometimes with a sale

In the US the non fortified are more pricey than fortified!

In Gothenburg we don't get a lot of choice since The Happy Vegan stopped opening. Hemköp are the only place I know of that sell it now.

I am so thankful I can buy it at a bulk store as it is so much more expensive otherwise - I suppose that it is unfortified, I have never actually asked.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Foods Alive Nutritional Yeast

A few years ago I went to a vegan Registered Dietitian (RD)

She advised me to switch to unfortified nutritional yeast as there is concerning research that synthetic folate, called folic acid is carcinogenic.
You can do a Duck Duck Go search to find plenty of mentions of that.

Foods Alive Nutritional Yeast

A few years ago I went to a vegan Registered Dietitian (RD)

She advised me to switch to unfortified nutritional yeast as there is concerning research that synthetic folate, called folic acid is carcinogenic.
You can do a Duck Duck Go search to find plenty of mentions of that.

Folic Acid vs. Folate — What’s the Difference?
Several studies indicate that chronically elevated levels of unmetabolized folic acid may have adverse health effects, including increased cancer risk.

High levels of unmetabolized folic acid have been associated with increased cancer risk, though some studies disagree. No conclusive evidence proves that unmetabolized folic acid plays a direct role (13Trusted Source, 14Trusted Source, 15Trusted Source).

Even a small, daily dose of 400 mcg may cause unmetabolized folic acid to build up in your bloodstream (9Trusted Source, 16Trusted Source).

Although high folic acid intake is a concern, the health implications are unclear, and further studies are needed.

Reactions: beforewisdom
The above is one reference using the term "unclear". I encourage other people to do their own web searches as there are a number of results found that use stronger language.

Reactions: Brian W
I have to confess that I prefer 1 brand and trees, it's fortified. I'm not too concerned about it being fortified because I eat very little else that is. So no fortified nut milks,, soya milk, cereal or bread and wet don't eat a huge quantity of it.

I used to not be particularly enamored with nooch when I lived in the UK. After I moved to Australia, the stuff sold in supermarkets really didn't did it for me at all and we started hunting around online for a new brand. It's actually longer of the very few items we do buy online (delivery is an issue when you live rurally in Australia with only 1 courier company coming to the area, so we have to rely on companies who use the postal service & if they don't offer the postal service as a delivery option, I can't use the company).

In this case, I'm actually using an American company who ship to Australia at very decent rates and we've settled in an American brand that makes a great tasting cheese sauce (although a lot depends on the miso you use as well). The one we use is a company called KAL. (Nutritional Yeast Flakes, Wonderful Nutty Flavor, 22 oz (624 g)). We tried this version simply because it was the recommended version in a book we use quite a bit (This cheeze is nuts by Julia Piatt). At least I think it was her book that recommended it.

• Informative
Reactions: Emma JC
I have to confess that I prefer 1 brand and trees, it's fortified. I'm not too concerned about it being fortified because I eat very little else that is. So no fortified nut milks,, soya milk, cereal or bread and wet don't eat a huge quantity of it.

I used to not be particularly enamored with nooch when I lived in the UK. After I moved to Australia, the stuff sold in supermarkets really didn't did it for me at all and we started hunting around online for a new brand. It's actually longer of the very few items we do buy online (delivery is an issue when you live rurally in Australia with only 1 courier company coming to the area, so we have to rely on companies who use the postal service & if they don't offer the postal service as a delivery option, I can't use the company).

In this case, I'm actually using an American company who ship to Australia at very decent rates and we've settled in an American brand that makes a great tasting cheese sauce (although a lot depends on the miso you use as well). The one we use is a company called KAL. (Nutritional Yeast Flakes, Wonderful Nutty Flavor, 22 oz (624 g)). We tried this version simply because it was the recommended version in a book we use quite a bit (This cheeze is nuts by Julia Piatt). At least I think it was her book that recommended it.
I used to use KAL, then their non fortified "Kal imported flakes."

I buy Anthony’s but my favorite is Bragg’s.
I tried the non fortified but prefer the fortified so I will stick with that.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC