What's the deal with Tofu!?

davidbailey123

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Hey all! What's everyone's thoughts on Tofu? I'm currently making my own tofu and would love to get your feedback on how Tofu could be improved! I'm aiming to sell this tofu at my local markets.

I for one am focusing on the texture and taste itself, also been looking into how i can pack it in an eco-friendly way :)

Are there any pain points that you guys have? Or things you love about it which you couldn't go without?

Thanks,

David

Oh I need to do that again! Fresh tofu is the best--I even have a SoyaJoy I haven't used in so long!
I only made it a few times, and only used magnesium cloride as coagulent. I really don't have anything to add!

I stopped making my own soy milk when I started making soy yogurt and found my homemade just didn't work as well as the plain soy beverage I got from Trader Joe, or Westsoy, so I've been buying those. I make soy yogurt regularly now, mostly for making cashew based cheese

Looking forward to hearing more!

I did always wonder why it wasn't sold already infused with herbs. I would eat the fresh tofu as is, or on crackers

Here's one--portion the tofu in 1/2 cup serving size, like 4 to a pack, you can just open one as needed. I hear people say they don't use it more because they let the rest go bad! Like a peel off top.
You could even season it for tofu scramble and it would be heat and eat

Oh I need to do that again! Fresh tofu is the best--I even have a SoyaJoy I haven't used in so long!
I only made it a few times, and only used magnesium cloride as coagulent. I really don't have anything to add!

I stopped making my own soy milk when I started making soy yogurt and found my homemade just didn't work as well as the plain soy beverage I got from Trader Joe, or Westsoy, so I've been buying those. I make soy yogurt regularly now, mostly for making cashew based cheese

Looking forward to hearing more!
I was looking at buying a Soyajoy. but I really don't have a lot of room for more appliances. I also watched a video on how to use it and the clean up process sort of scared me off. And I drink so much soymik each day I would have to make it every day. I suppose that I could add calcium and B12 to homemade soy milk. but I like the fact that its already in the soy milk I buy at the grocery store.

I was looking at buying a Soyajoy. but I really don't have a lot of room for more appliances. I also watched a video on how to use it and the clean up process sort of scared me off. And I drink so much soymik each day I would have to make it every day. I suppose that I could add calcium and B12 to homemade soy milk. but I like the fact that its already in the soy milk I buy at the grocery store.
Cleaning it is easy if you do it right away, I think I used baking soda and dish soap.
The pain is the straining, and all the okara. There are tons of things to make with okara, but if you make it often you won't want it anymore!
I really liked making Old Bay patties though. Okara, rolled oats, minced celery and onion, and Old Bay seasoning and saute. I feel like I'm leaving something out- I should do this with mashed chickpeas! I coated them in panko crumbs.

Have you found soy beverage at TJ's yet? I'm going to call and go Sat if they have it back. I struggle to use the second half of the 2 quart Westsoy carton!

Have you found soy beverage at TJ's yet? I'm going to call and go Sat if they have it back. I struggle to use the second half of the 2 quart Westsoy carton!
I haven't been there in couple of weeks. But when I was there last they had absolutely no soy milk of any kind. They say its a "supply chain issue".

I did find quart redipaks of soy milk at the supermarket. It was Safeway's organic brand and I do like that one a lot.

I really should re-orgainze the pantry (again). I should find room so that I can buy a case of the redipacks at a time.

Hey all! What's everyone's thoughts on Tofu? I'm currently making my own tofu and would love to get your feedback on how Tofu could be improved! I'm aiming to sell this tofu at my local markets.

I for one am focusing on the texture and taste itself, also been looking into how i can pack it in an eco-friendly way :)

Are there any pain points that you guys have? Or things you love about it which you couldn't go without?

Thanks,

David
My thoughts on selling it is be honest about it. So many friends have tried tofu but they started with the silken and the texture turned them off. Depending on the texture of your tofu, sell it as what it should be used for. Firmer, for stir fry, more silken for smoothies.

And never made my own but can you make it infused with certain flavors? I haven't seen that in market but if you could that could be a big seller.

Reactions: davidbailey123
My thoughts on selling it is be honest about it. So many friends have tried tofu but they started with the silken and the texture turned them off. Depending on the texture of your tofu, sell it as what it should be used for. Firmer, for stir fry, more silken for smoothies.

And never made my own but can you make it infused with certain flavors? I haven't seen that in market but if you could that could be a big seller.
Yeah that's what i'm aiming with my brand. It's designed to be a more meaty texture & much more flavour packed!

Reactions: VeganAnon
The only kind of tofu I buy nowadays is what is called Super Firm. I had been pressing the water out of tofu when super firm first came out. For a little while it was hard to find super firm and I was looking at buying a tofu press but lately the stores have had super firm back in stock.

Super firm is a bit more expensive. but since you are not buying so much water, I think its about the same price as extra firm. I also think the packaging is more environmentally friendly.

In California, just across the Bay from me is a new company, Hodo.
They make soy milk, but I have yet to see it in a store.
Their soy milk only has one ingredient: soy beans.
the nutritional info says it has 9 g of protein which is more than usual for soy milk. so I suspect they use more beans (or less water).
anyway they claim that because their soy milk is better it makes for better tofu.

I have been seeing their other products in the grocery store. I bought their tofu burger but I didn't like it that much. I have gotten their tofu and their braised tofu. And I would buy them again.

The tofu they sell and the braised tofu are both what I would call super firm.
They also sell a variety of tofu nuggets and cubes. I will keep an eye out for them and check the price. I mean if its the same price - why not get them - I just cut my tofu into cubes anyway. They have flavors for their cubes and nuggets. I am definitely interested. They also sell Yuba.

You might contact them and see if they can help you with your questions. You are thousand of miles away and can't be a direct competitor.

Check out their press releases.

and here is tour

I forgot about yuba! I used to get the knots, soak, dredge in cornstarch/flour and fry. They were pretty incredible!
I never had any luck using the yuba sticks-they wouldn't fully rehydrate for some reason, I had no problem with the knots

We have Cleveland Tofu company here--https://clevelandtofu.com/

Honestly, I'm not a fan of overly pressed tofu, and really disliked the vacuum packed! I don't even press

I absolutely hate it after freezing! That's what the Naysoya vacuum packed reminded me of --unless maybe it had been frozen!

The only kind of tofu I buy nowadays is what is called Super Firm. I had been pressing the water out of tofu when super firm first came out. For a little while it was hard to find super firm and I was looking at buying a tofu press but lately the stores have had super firm back in stock.

Super firm is a bit more expensive. but since you are not buying so much water, I think its about the same price as extra firm. I also think the packaging is more environmentally friendly.

In California, just across the Bay from me is a new company, Hodo.
They make soy milk, but I have yet to see it in a store.
Their soy milk only has one ingredient: soy beans.
the nutritional info says it has 9 g of protein which is more than usual for soy milk. so I suspect they use more beans (or less water).
anyway they claim that because their soy milk is better it makes for better tofu.

I have been seeing their other products in the grocery store. I bought their tofu burger but I didn't like it that much. I have gotten their tofu and their braised tofu. And I would buy them again.

The tofu they sell and the braised tofu are both what I would call super firm.
They also sell a variety of tofu nuggets and cubes. I will keep an eye out for them and check the price. I mean if its the same price - why not get them - I just cut my tofu into cubes anyway. They have flavors for their cubes and nuggets. I am definitely interested. They also sell Yuba.

You might contact them and see if they can help you with your questions. You are thousand of miles away and can't be a direct competitor.

Check out their press releases.

and here is tour

Hey Lou, Thank you so much for this response. I checked out there stuff and will get in contact with them! Their tofu loos so tasty and high quality. It's also always cool to see tofu being made on a large scale, at the end of the day, it's just the same process as in my kitchen but at a much larger scale!

Like @Lou , I prefer firm tofu. However, I've heard that firm and soft tofu are generally used for different things. Firm is usually recommended for a "meaty" entree, whereas something like a dip (or maybe a dessert) would work better with soft tofu. This may sound weird, but I rather like plain firm tofu broken into big pieces and mixed into something I'm making, like a stew or some sort of rice pilaf. Sometimes I just take a bite out of it as I'm making something with it.

Reactions: PTree15

Thanks,

David

My biggest suggestion for innovation would be plastic free packaging for tofu.

I throw out a lot of plastic from buying tofu.

Buying tofu in bulk is a pain, AND it still involves plastic via a plastic bag.

Tofu is sustainable and biodegradable, or at least safely burnable containers would rock.

Beyond that there are 2 things I look for in tofu:

1. Calcium content, made with a calcium based coagulant.
2. Made from organic soy beans.

Last edited:
I did always wonder why it wasn't sold already infused with herbs. I would eat the fresh tofu as is, or on crackers

Here's one--portion the tofu in 1/2 cup serving size, like 4 to a pack, you can just open one as needed. I hear people say they don't use it more because they let the rest go bad! Like a peel off top.
You could even season it for tofu scramble and it would be heat and eat

It is! It’s called baked tofu. They have it at Trader Joe’s and most natural foods stores. It’s expensive but very much worth it.

To the OP:

I would make it as firm as possible and consider making flavored versions such as the popular baked tofu varieties. New flavors would be good - get creative with it.

It is! It’s called baked tofu. They have it at Trader Joe’s and most natural foods stores. It’s expensive but very much worth it.

To the OP:

I would make it as firm as possible and consider making flavored versions such as the popular baked tofu varieties. New flavors would be good - get creative with it.
Nah, baked tofu is marinated and a dense texture. Fresh made tofu infused with herbs is what I'm talking about!
I'm not as fond of dense tofu, I love it when it's creamy and custardy!

Reactions: Urban Gardener
Nah, baked tofu is marinated and a dense texture. Fresh made tofu infused with herbs is what I'm talking about!

Yes, flavored fresh tofu would be a good idea. I agree!

I do have some tips about baked tofu for anyone reading this.

It’s good if you cut it into thin slices and use it on crackers, in sandwiches, etc with other things like tomatoes. I also recommend letting it air out between taking it out of the package and eating it. This seems to give it a better texture and flavor for some reason.

Reactions: Lou
To me Baked tofu is tofu that I have baked in the oven!
Had No idea that there is something one can buy which is called baked tofu...
Only just recently when I bake potatoes or something I also slice up some tofu put it on a baking sheet and cook until crispy
turning once - I don’t even season it! I just Love the flavour of it especially when it’s crispy!
Used to Always fry, sauté or add it to dishes - Now baking it is my favourite way to eat it! Rarely do I use silken tofu although I do like it...

Reactions: Lou
I never use silken tofu. Nowadays if possible my go-to tofu* is the Super Firm.
I do sometimes bake it but I've always used the Baked Crispy Tofu** recipe from Sarah's Vegan Kitchen.
I like that as as app or to add to salads.
Mostly I fry it either all by itself *** or in a stir fry.
I've also sometimes bought baked tofu in the market. Mostly out of curiosity. Or convenience. It does save a step when adding it to salads. I haven't tried the Hodofoods versions yet, but I want to.

* Go-To Tofu - That would be a cute brand name. Maybe My Go-To Tofu or Lou's Go-To Tofu.

**Crispy Sesame Crusted Tofu - Sarah's Vegan Kitchen

*** How To Tofu

Reactions: 1956