What's in your Garden (& Indoor Plants)

This is the other bush. I definitely like it better than the other one.
View attachment 27104
That looks my azaleas!
I bought yet another lawn mower! Electric. Ours started fine Sat, my son finished the tree lawn and it just died. It started for me the next day and I cut half the front--then it got all weak and stopped, I was babying it lifting it up and waiting.....
If this mower doesn't work out I'm just gonna pay someone. I hate small engines

• Friendly
Reactions: Tom L. and KLS52
That looks my azaleas!
I bought yet another lawn mower! Electric. Ours started fine Sat, my son finished the tree lawn and it just died. It started for me the next day and I cut half the front--then it got all weak and stopped, I was babying it lifting it up and waiting.....
Ding ding ding!! Lol. I posted in the gardening group on Facebook and they are all saying azalea! One said encore azalea. It also looks similar to the Japanese azalea. My other azalea and every other azalea I’ve ever seen are very different from this one. I do like it a lot. The other one’s flowers are already dead. I don’t remember how long this one blooms. I’ll have to take note.

Reactions: PTree15
Haha…someone else just chimed in saying it’s a George Tabor azalea.

I'm confused. To me it looks like Rhododendron, but now I'm not sure!
This came up when I tried to figure it out: Azaleas and Rhododendrons, what's the difference?

They both actually belong to the Rhododendron genus, both like acidic soil and being in partial shade, preferably in a pine forest. Here where I live, Azaleas are indoor plants and Rhododendrons are outdoor plants. To confuse things, people call Rhododendrons Alp Roses for some reason! They do not belong in the Rosa genus. Well, people also call Helleborus Christmas Roses. I guess people back in the day were like "it's a flower. It's a rose."

Anyway, I love them both. But Azaleas stink really bad. That's my experience from handling them at the gardening store anyway. Sorry if someone likes their smell. 😅

Near my house there are several Rhododendron shrubs. I should take a picture of the biggest one when it's in full bloom. It's freaking gorgeous! :heart_eyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: KLS52
All of my babies from left to right: Tigru, Spidey, Jude and Armi. 😀
IMG_1216.jpg
IMG_1217.jpg
Armi is new and they are blooming! 🥰
IMG_1218.jpg
Here is old picture of Jude.
IMG_1127.jpg
And here is old picture of Spidey.
IMG_1081.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Indeed! Who is the gardener? :)
Haha…mostly they previous owners lol. 😂

Although, in my defense, I did most of the leaf cleanup and I planted two catmint plants (my favorites), red and yellow dahlias, hung new bird feeders and wind chimes and got two hanging plants. And I trimmed my lilacs as the flowers have died and supposedly that’s when you should do it. Hopefully they will look better next year. I didn’t really know what I was doing.

Loosestrife…yellow and gooseneck. The yellow are starting to bloom but the gooseneck not yet.

I planted the kale out in the garden. I probably was fussing a bit too much over them- kale doesn't mind cool weather. But I also planted some kale directly in the soil outside, and the plants I started indoors are very noticeably bigger.

The hot pepper plants I started indoors are almost ready to plant outside. I didn't plant the whole packet of seeds; even I can eat only so many hot peppers, and I think hot pepper seeds stay viable for a few years anyway, so I could plant the rest of them next year. In the past, I've taken jalapeno pepper plants indoors for the winter, since they're naturally perennial; I think they're actually kind of ornamental. Although they're not normally that showy, the ripening peppers eventually turn bright red if you let them stay on the plant that long, and they're nice to look at around Thanksgiving and Christmas. They're still edible then, too! I think their flavor was a lot milder when I let them ripen completely.

Speaking of seed viability: I planted okra seeds in little starter pots from the plants I had last year or the year before, but they don't remain viable for long and they might not come up. The marigold seeds I mentioned earlier aren't doing anything either.

That looks my azaleas!
A bit off-topic (and maybe a stupid question): does your mower have a cord or a battery? I thought electrics had cords, but then I was thinking you'd have to worry about running over the cord, so it must have a (rechargeable) battery- and that would maybe explain why it conked out on you.

I have three- count 'em, three- non-motorized reel mowers. One I bought new ( and I think it needs some sort of gear/part replaced), one I think I bought used or was given to me, and one I definitely bought at a garage sale. The second one is the oldest, and oddly enough, works the best (partly because it's heaviest and sturdiest). I formerly took it to a hardware store every few years to be sharpened, but they don't do that anymore so I'm learning (from Google) how to do it myself. Evidently there is a special tool you can still buy, along with an abrasive compound. (I was thinking I'd have to buy some sort of file thingy- but what will I do if they don't make the abrasive stuff anymore? Maybe I'll find a way to do it with a file anyway. Or I'll buy a lot of abrasive and set myself up with a part-time post-retirement career as a mower sharpener. Wait.... wasn't there a sci-fi story entitled "Lawnmower Man"? Not sure I wanna go there...).

Edited To Add: Yep. "The Lawnmower Man" was both a sci-fi/horror story and movie, and evidently there was some conflict over the movie regarding copyright and writer credits.

Last edited:
Reactions: KLS52
A bit off-topic (and maybe a stupid question): does your mower have a cord or a battery? I thought electrics had cords, but then I was thinking you'd have to worry about running over the cord, so it must have a (rechargeable) battery- and that would maybe explain why it conked out on you.

I have three- count 'em, three- non-motorized reel mowers. One I bought new ( and I think it needs some sort of gear/part replaced), one I think I bought used or was given to me, and one I definitely bought at a garage sale. The second one is the oldest, and oddly enough, works the best (partly because it's heaviest and sturdiest). I formerly took it to a hardware store every few years to be sharpened, but they don't do that anymore so I'm learning (from Google) how to do it myself. Evidently there is a special tool you can still buy, along with an abrasive compound. (I was thinking I'd have to buy some sort of file thingy- but what will I do if they don't make the abrasive stuff anymore? Maybe I'll find a way to do it with a file anyway. Or I'll buy a lot of abrasive and set myself up with a part-time post-retirement career as a mower sharpener. Wait.... wasn't there a sci-fi story entitled "Lawnmower Man"? Not sure I wanna go there...).

Edited To Add: Yep. "The Lawnmower Man" was both a sci-fi/horror story and movie, and evidently there was some conflict over the movie regarding copyright and writer credits.
I got a corded electric!
When we first moved here I got a new, non motor reel mower, our yard is pretty small. It simply would not cut certain types of grass, no matter how many passes! 🙄
So then I bought a reg gas push. I've spent sooooo much time taking apart the carb and spraying, and cleaning......The second cut of this season is just died, and then again,started right up, cut a bit,and died. I was DONE.
If I hadn't already had a 12 gauge 100ft cord I would have gone with battery, but actually it seems pretty easy to get in the rhythm of how to cut with the cord the side, just as most reviews say.
I'm at the point where if this fails I'll hire someone :rofl:

• Friendly
  • Informative
Reactions: Tom L. and KLS52
I used to love the old fashioned push mowers. I bought one when I was newly married. My husband thought I was nuts lol. Ha…little did he know just how much. 😁
Oh man…they have a red one! I’m jealous. Mine wasn’t a color lol.

EB49AE44-4F91-45D4-ABAB-6115D1119DB6.jpeg

Reactions: Deleted member 3018