What's in your Garden (& Indoor Plants)

@Emma JC So long as the seeds sprouted, they ought to be just as good as fresher seeds. Most likely, they're not getting something they need. A grow bulb might be a good idea, but I thought cruciferous vegetables could make do with less light than many others. But maybe not... I'm starting some vegetables already; I have one kale plant (also cruciferous) that is too leggy, even though it's in a south window!!!! Color me baffled...

Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52
@Emma JC So long as the seeds sprouted, they ought to be just as good as fresher seeds. Most likely, they're not getting something they need. A grow bulb might be a good idea, but I thought cruciferous vegetables could make do with less light than many others. But maybe not... I'm starting some vegetables already; I have one kale plant (also cruciferous) that is too leggy, even though it's in a south window!!!! Color me baffled...

thanks Tom - it is just the sprouts that we are going for, not the plants - more of them seem to be sprouted today and I will get a bulb later although we have had them sitting under a regular lamp / LED for the moment

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Reactions: PTree15
thanks Tom - it is just the sprouts that we are going for, not the plants - more of them seem to be sprouted today and I will get a bulb later although we have had them sitting under a regular lamp / LED for the moment

Emma JC
so you're going for microgreens? Just sprouts don't need light. I have a jar of seeds in the fridge now, haven't done them in so long!
I just soak in a jar with a mesh lid, then rinse and drain each day for maybe 3 to 4 days with broccoli

so you're going for microgreens? Just sprouts don't need light. I have a jar of seeds in the fridge now, haven't done them in so long!
I just soak in a jar with a mesh lid, then rinse and drain each day for maybe 3 to 4 days with broccoli

hmmm - maybe? I have seen people plant microgreens and I have seen people grow sprouts in a jar - the reason for the grow light is that we get zero sun in any windows and the instructions for sprouts say to put them in sunlight for a few days once they start to sprout

okay, scratch all that... it is very confusing - I went to the website of the company that I bought the seeds from and it varies with different seeds... thank you for much for bringing it to my attention as we were doing it wrong and will do better in the future - maybe we will do some microgreens seeing as how we now have a light :)

Emma JC

Reactions: Tom L. and KLS52
hmmm - maybe? I have seen people plant microgreens and I have seen people grow sprouts in a jar - the reason for the grow light is that we get zero sun in any windows and the instructions for sprouts say to put them in sunlight for a few days once they start to sprout

okay, scratch all that... it is very confusing - I went to the website of the company that I bought the seeds from and it varies with different seeds... thank you for much for bringing it to my attention as we were doing it wrong and will do better in the future - maybe we will do some microgreens seeing as how we now have a light :)

Emma JC
A coworker was trying to get a little business going selling micro greens. had several trays of different ones at the same time. She gave everyone samples, and really no one liked them! Some I thought okay, but they all had such a very strong grassy taste it was hard to get over. The sunflower greens were really vile, IMO.
For me, sprouts are so easy and taste just fine--although not easy enough for me to do regularly! :shrug:
I just put a Tblsp of broccoli seeds in a jar to soak overnight. Now that I'm having more salads I should be ok eating them all!

Reactions: Emma JC
@silva Strange about the sunflower greens not being tasty; raw hulled sunflower kernels are a favorite food of mine!

I thought I had a kale plant coming up in my window garden- I was going to plant it outside- but it's already got flower buds on it??!!! Kale is a biennial, and I have overwintered kale plants to get seeds from them the next year. This must be a mustard green plant; those are annuals.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC
@silva Strange about the sunflower greens not being tasty; raw hulled sunflower kernels are a favorite food of mine!
Right? I really thought that would be one I liked, but with the microgreens they don't all taste like their grown plants. Like the radish def tasted like strong radish, but most others just tasted like weeds. The sunflower tasted like barf 😝
But you know, taste is very subjective

I do like sprouts- broccoli, moong, alfalfa.

My little flower garden is evolving into something a bit different. I am planting native plants that are perennials to help support bees and butterflies. I will still have some more common annuals for more color and I like hibiscus because they are so hardy. I need a few more bright colored annuals for the front of the garden but here is what it looks like now.

20240330_170034.jpg20240330_170039.jpg20240330_170054.jpg