What to do with trapped skunk?

Danielle

forever seeking fire
Supporter
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Boyfriend has a skunk in his live trap, he's been advised not to take it in his own car to relocate. He's willing to split the cost with me to have someone come by and release it.
He's saying he's only willing to split the cost so many times, and he didn't say it, but he'd eventually kill them if we catch too much. We aren't rich.
So I am tempted to catch and release if myself, am worried about it spraying the car but I'd rather it spray the car than him shoot it in the head

Don't you have Animal Control in Mississippi? I would think they would come by and get it.
also how about the local wildlife guy. Might be out of the jurisdiction but I would call the State Department of Wildlife. Also check around for animal rescue groups.

a quick google found me this

• Agree
Reactions: Emma JC
So I am tempted to catch and release if myself, am worried about it spraying the car but I'd rather it spray the car than him shoot it in the head
Do it yourself then if you can't get a wildlife rescue organisation to do it for you.

(Personally, I would dump that loser too, IMO if he is willing to kill a trapped innocent animal like that.)

but I'd rather it spray the car

Trust me on this, you definitely do not want the skunk to spray in your car. Even in the trunk the skunk would make such a bad smell, you would not even be able to sit in the car, let alone drive it or sell it. Even with all the windows down it would be unbearable. I've had firsthand experience getting sprayed by a skunk. The smell is strong enough to burn your eyes. It's similar to ammonia and it lingers for a long time. I can't describe how strong it is. It's unreal!

I don't know what your state laws are like in Mississippi, but here in BC, where I live, it is actually against the law to relocate most wild animals yourself. Lou makes a valid point. I would call the state animal control. Frankly, I'm surprised it hasn't sprayed at something already. It's a defense mechanism. You would think seeing you, while in the cage would be enough to trigger it.

You do need to know the laws of your state. In Ohio it is illegal to trap, or relocate, skunks.
I think your best bet is to release him--
Skunks are pretty great animals to have around, unless there are loose dogs

Trust me on this, you definitely do not want the skunk to spray in your car. Even in the trunk the skunk would make such a bad smell, you would not even be able to sit in the car, let alone drive it or sell it. Even with all the windows down it would be unbearable. I've had firsthand experience getting sprayed by a skunk. The smell is strong enough to burn your eyes. It's similar to ammonia and it lingers for a long time. I can't describe how strong it is. It's unreal!

I don't know what your state laws are like in Mississippi, but here in BC, where I live, it is actually against the law to relocate most wild animals yourself. Lou makes a valid point. I would call the state animal control. Frankly, I'm surprised it hasn't sprayed at something already. It's a defense mechanism. You would think seeing you, while in the cage would be enough to trigger it.

I smelled skunk before, it fades away after 2-4 weeks if I remember right. I took a deal skunk from the house to the end of the road- in my car.
He tried calling people and the lowest they'll go is 175.
I don't mind them living around the house but my bf is adamant that they either get relocated or he'll kill them.
If they're good to have around maybe I can talk him into just releasing, but I'm not sure if it will work.
His big concern is he doesn't want them under the trailer. They keep digging holes, we patch them up, then they dig new holes.

I smelled skunk before, it fades away after 2-4 weeks if I remember right. I took a deal skunk from the house to the end of the road- in my car.
He tried calling people and the lowest they'll go is 175.
I don't mind them living around the house but my bf is adamant that they either get relocated or he'll kill them.
If they're good to have around maybe I can talk him into just releasing, but I'm not sure if it will work.
His big concern is he doesn't want them under the trailer. They keep digging holes, we patch them up, then they dig new holes.
If they're digging there must be grubs or something.
Have you tried citrus peels, ammonia rags, motion sensor lights, or those ultrasonic devices?

I honestly don't know if they're good to have around your property. They eat bugs, cockroaches, spiders, grubs, grasshoppers, etc. They are known to be much less likely than raccoons to carry rabies, from what I've read, so that's a good thing.

I got sprayed when one was in my garbage can. I surprised it, and it got me really good. I was gasping for air, the spray was that potent. I was pretty close though...maybe less than 10 feet away.

I hope you don't need your car for a while. I think 2-4 weeks is rather optimistic. Good luck with that, nonetheless, and I hope you don't get caught breaking any state laws in the process.

Maybe you're able to block access under your trailer or use deterrents, as silva suggested? My guess is they will eventually come back, regardless of what you do. Prevention might be a better course of action. If they can't get under the trailer, they will go somewhere else.

We try to spray things and block up every hole they make but they keep getting in.

What about a sprinkler system on a sensor? I use one to keep neighborhood cats out of my garden beds. I am going to buy some more for the deer that come after my apples next year. They work really well, so far. Skunks being nocturnal obviously don't like light, so lights on sensors might work too. Aside from using foul odors to deter them, your only other option is to remove their food source, which might not be possible.

Reactions: Sax
I bought motion sensor lights, sound deterrent , castor oil, ammonia, rags.

@Danielle

Well, I hope your bf is patient enough to wait and see if this works. The sprinklers with sensors have worked really well for my neighborhood cat issues. I wish you best of luck.

If they didn't stink so badly, they are kinda cute, if you ask me. Nonetheless, a wild animal. Be careful!

Hasn't shipped yet
You haven't tried it all yet?
In the meantime, watch the vid on releasing skunk and let him out!
We have a number of skunks around here. My son often goes outside at night and sees whole families. He's also under the belief they can't spray if they can't dig their claws in dirt, which apparently isn't true. We've only had a smelly episode once, and mostly limited to the basement

So we're paying 200 to have the skunk humanely relocated.
I'm gonna go broke.. lol

Can you put something like some chicken wire set a foot or so into the ground around the bottom of the trailer to keep them from getting under?
I like that idea

Found a trap that claims it's so narrow the skunk can't lift its tail to spray.
I have no idea where to release it. There's tons of wooded areas sure but you can't go long without seeing someone's else's property. I'd just be giving someone else our problem.. but then at least I won't have to know my bf shoots them so that's a plus?