What to do with finely shredded green cabbage?

silva

Forum Legend
Reaction score
I wanted cole slaw. I put the shredder/blade disk on my food processor so it was on the shred side. I have about 8 cups of finely shredded cabbage. My tongue will not accept that! It's just ewww
It also smells really bad, and I still have over a half a head. It was $1 head of huge green farmer market cabbage, so I already have plans to cook the rest. Should I just freeze it? It'll probably just delay the trip to the compost pile.....
Any good ideas for riced cabbage?

Yeah, that's the line I'm kind taking. I sauteed an onion in margarine and added the whole she-bang. I had no intentions of even wanting a cabbage, but it was such a huge, grandmother kind of cabbage for one buck, I had to take it home. It had layers of leaves larger than my head billowing around it, the farm dirt still fresh. I still have a third I haven't cut!
Ok, so it's gonna be ok. I tasted it and immediately remembered the halouski, the fried cabbage, onions, and noodles my gramma would make, with eggs or ham. I made that once when I made a hammy seitan and used black salt and my son loved it! I'll make some noodles- I still a bag of Walmarts eggless-egg noodles which are perfect

Now a different problem. I don't want to cook the rest of the head! Cabbage lasts a good while in fridge, right? o_O

Reactions: Val
Can you post a picture of it so we have an idea of what it looks like?
Nope! I threw it in with sliced onions to saute, cleaned out the processor and sink and took all remains to the compost pile :p. Cut raw cabbage smells terrible :eek:
It's okay now. I'm spending way more time in the kitchen than I'd planned. gotta get my but outside while it's so nice!

Your tongue does not like finely sliced cabbage? Do you like a chunkier cole slaw? My husband prefers a fine cole slaw and hand slices the cabbage into paper thin shreds. It's divine! With a sauce of vegan mayo, agave, apple cider vinegar and celery seeds - it the best mayo ever - imho. :) So good on "barbecue". As to what else to do with cabbage, I'm at a loss. I've never cooked it.

Yeah, that's the line I'm kind taking. I sauteed an onion in margarine and added the whole she-bang. I had no intentions of even wanting a cabbage, but it was such a huge, grandmother kind of cabbage for one buck, I had to take it home. It had layers of leaves larger than my head billowing around it, the farm dirt still fresh. I still have a third I haven't cut!
Ok, so it's gonna be ok. I tasted it and immediately remembered the halouski, the fried cabbage, onions, and noodles my gramma would make, with eggs or ham. I made that once when I made a hammy seitan and used black salt and my son loved it! I'll make some noodles- I still a bag of Walmarts eggless-egg noodles which are perfect

Now a different problem. I don't want to cook the rest of the head! Cabbage lasts a good while in fridge, right? o_O

Ha! I like to stir fry it with noodles, diced onion, a bit of soy sauce and black pepper.

Yes, cabbage lasts a long time in the fridge, but after the head is cut, it doesn't last as long.

Cabbage cooked with tomatoes (fresh or canned) is good too.

Reactions: PTree15 and Val
Hehehe:p. I would sautee it with dill, curry powder, sumac, salsa, etc., or add it to "fresh shchi", though i like "sour shchi" (sauerkraut variant) much more. An old saying: Shchi da kasha — pishcha nasha ("Shchi and kasha are our food"). "The major components of shchi were originally cabbage, meat (beef, pork, lamb, or poultry), mushrooms, flour, and spices (based on onion and garlic). Cabbage and meat were cooked separately and smetana was added as a garnish before serving. Shchi is traditionally eaten with rye bread".:sheep: