What should I do...

AndyC

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Hi!
I finally went to a fully plant based diet about 6 months ago and have committed to not purchasing animal products from here on out. My question is, what do I do with the animal products I already own, i.e. leather jacket and shoes, wool flannel, etc. Some of the items were recent gifts from my wife. Truthfully, I still like all the items in question, it just seems hypocritical to continue using them. How have you all navigated this issue in your own lives? Thanks in advance for the help!

Reactions: SapphireLightning
This is an issue that comes up a lot - you are not alone! It's really up to you to decide. I've kept just a few things - gifts mostly, from the time before I went vegan.

Shoes are expensive, and good vegan ones in a reasonable price range can be hard to find, especially if you don't want to shop shoes online. You might decide to hold on to your leather shoes until they wear our or until you can afford and/or have occasion to visit a shoe shop that has reasonable vegan-friendly footwear to your liking.

If you feel weird wearing a leather jacket after declaring you've gone vegan, as you may get some awkward questions, then maybe that could be the first thing to go.

Some items you may be able to sell or donate and then replace with vegan versions.

Welcome!

One of the things that should be on the cover of the official "transitioning vegan's guide to the Galaxy" should be "Don't Panic". Or maybe "Don't sweat the small stuff". You bought them back in the day, they exist, the damage was done, do with them as you wish. Some people feel like wearing such stuff after making such a choice to be not in good keeping with the new world view (such as myself when I went vegan), others focus on the future and do not worry about the past mistakes. Even others feel it sends mixed messages. Regardless, you have made a good conscientious move in the right direction going forward; you cannot erase the past.