What kind of vegan are you ?

As a vegan, where do you get most of your calories from ?

• Fruits (bananas, apples, mango)

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Vegetables (lettuce, kale, cabbage)

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Starches (potatoes, beans, rice)

Votes: 14 63.6%

• Total voters

gab

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Hi,

Not all vegans are alike so curious what most of you are eating.

Specifically some may be:

* fruitarian (majority of calories coming from fruits)
* green veggies (majority calories from greens like kale, lettuce)
* starch (majority of calories from potatoes, rice, beans)

I'm eating starch mainly (used to be fruitarian in the past) and low fat. There are some fruits and veggies out there high in fat (coconut meat, avocado, vegetable oils) that I avoid.

I'm eating about five times a day:

* breakfast - usually Kellogg corn flakes and vegan milk (almond most often)
* snack - corn thins or rice cakes
* lunch - jacket potatoes with beans or rice with Bombay potatoes curry
* snack - same as above
* dinner - corn flakes like for breakfast or potatoes/rice like for lunch

I follow the food combination rules as described in the Fit for life book: most importantly fruit to be eaten on an empty stomach and by itself as a meal or snack.

That's the gist of it, how about you ?

Last edited:
That is a great idea ... could you walk me through the steps please ? I cannot seem to figure out how to do it.

Err - it might look different for you because you're not a moderator, but just above the thread to the right there might be a button that says 'Thread Tools' with the option to 'Add a Poll'.

Last edited by a moderator:
Found it, thank you very much winter frost.

Interesting Ty. There is a smoothie with kale Waitrose branded that tastes delicious that I buy sometimes ;)

I tend to stay away from shop smoothies and make my own. I bought an Acti-blend off eBay for £20 with 2 bottles.

My smoothie recipe is as follows:

1 1/2 scoops of Good Hemp Protein Powder
1/2 Avocado
7grms Pumpkin seeds
7grams Sunflower seeds
7grams Chai seeds
7grams Sesame seeds
handful of dry Goji Berries
and about 3/4 pint of Hemp Milk.

Thank you for sharing, I am going to give it a try, have written the recipe in a file were I keep my notes - but do not own a blender at this time :)

I eat a lot of starches currently (particularly a lot of pasta), not for any particular reason though. I'm newly Vegan (couple of months now) and I'm still experimenting with foods. I'm sort of sticking with things I was already familiar with making pre-Vegan times. When I make pasta it's always loaded with veggies though :)

I'm a new vegan too, only since March. After having tried various combinations, I still find starches to work best for me: tasty, filling, give me energy - that's all I want from food really ;)

Just had pasta with Dolmio sauce (chunky mushrooms).

Gab

Hard to say fully - I start the day with a banana and coffee with almond milk -
Then I have second breakfast with Wholemeal seeded bread and Marmite (lots of b12)
Snack on an apple or pear
Lunch varies but I love making soups - and Sweet Potato Biriyani - because it is just one pan job - toast and spice rice before adding to pot
Mushrooms on toast
Home made hummus which I change the recipe all the time - toasting the chickpeas in spices first - or using satay sauce instead of tahini

I eat a lot of raw veg (cabbage and carrots are my go to snack) and normally 3/4 pieces of fruit - and mixed nuts -

I just cook without planning and see what happens - and I do not stick to set meal times - just eat when I feel I need to

Laura x

Laura, seems like you are eating a mix of things, which is great. I was not aware the Marmite was vegan.

I am such a starch-o-vore!! lol I don't eat pasta or refined starches though but I simply adore potatoes and eat them daily. I make loads of chilli's, sweet potato & lentil soup and being Scottish I make my own homemade, healthy, vegan, oil free black and white puddings using brown rice, buckwheat, quinoa, beans and appropriate spices! I also like porridge oats with almond milk and whatever fruit I can grab. Nom, nom, nom... hahaha!

My breakfast and lunch are pretty much always smoothies, so I guess I lean towards the fruit side… It’s mainly because I started off veganism by following the raw till 4 diet and now I’ve gotten in the habit of having smoothies every day - plus, they taste so good! I crave them in the way I used to crave chocolate haha :D

I probably fit the starch/bean category more than the others, but I don't "follow" any one way of eating vegan. I have experimented with all raw a few times, once mostly fruit/high carb/low fat for two weeks, and the other time a week of "living raw" and a lot more nuts/avocado/fat sources. I quickly discovered that I just like cooked food too much lol. So I mix cooked and raw pretty much daily.

I have also done periods of soy and gluten free in attempts to balance my thyroid, but it did absolutely nothing (however, limiting soy intake to a few times per week does keep my thyroid TSH from going through the roof as I have hypothyroidism). I have found that the protein, iron, and some b vitamins are easier to obtain with a little gluten (which is after all a protein) and soy here and there. I tend to build muscle easier and just feel stronger working out.

And while I can eat insane amounts of leafy greens (four cups at a time no problem) or fruit (yes I CAN eat an entire pineapple in one sitting), I also enjoy grains and beans which in smaller amounts still have more calories than the former two foods so probably supply my calorie and energy needs a little more. I love fruit but usually only average 3 servings per day. Vegetables are more, about five or so servings (one cup per serving raw or 1/2 cup serving cooked).

I tend to go lower on the fat side, but also make sure to include a serving or two of concentrated fat sources each day (seeds, nuts, avocado, olives, etc).

So my intake usually seems to come out to an average of 75% carbs, 13-15% fat, and 10-12% protein when I take the time to calculate and check, something I no longer do on an obsessive or regular basis.

I'm consuming too much starchy vegetables - just realized I need more variety with above ground produce.

Agree with the foot combining; been doing that for about 20 years. Started using a food app and realized I'm eating too many carbs, even though I don't usually eat any grains (so no pasta, etc.). I was pretty shocked by the numbers because I thought I was eating so healthy. Some modification is needed.

My regular routine is oatmeal with banana, raisins, apples, and coconut milk for breakfast; green smoothie for lunch, and lentil or lima bean soup for dinner with lots of veggies and kale.