What is your favorite vegan tool in the kitchen?

helenmerritt

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
I have a whole set of such tools at home: Chopper and Adjustable Slicer, Tofu Press, Sous Vide, Juicer, Freezer Bags

As long as you have two hands the right tools in the kitchen you are able to make your vegan ration almost as diverse and qualitative as those first-world retailers. Moreover, because vegan food is so healthy, in most cases it is not so hard to process it and make a delicious meal out of it.

By the way, speaking about the tools. There are some interesting vegan tools that will significantly improve your meal routine if you have them in your kitchen.

and which one do you have?

• Informative
Reactions: EllieW and Lou
Well the tool that I use most often is my Chef's Knife. It's a really really good one that I keep sharp. Its way better than anything I would have bought myself - but it was a present. In case anyone is interested its a Myabe. I also have a way less expensive Mercer bread knife. Its serrated and besides bread its my favorite for cutting tomatoes.

I am a bit of a gadget guy. I have one of those "as seen on TV" choppers. but I find it not be as useful as advertised. Its on a top shelf and most of the time I don't take the time to get it out. I'll go to my little food processor for most of my chopping. I also have a grinder that I mostly use to grind flax seed.

I now have two blenders. A big one that is on a bottom shelf and a little one that lives on the counter. Another thing that lives on the counter is my InstantPot. And I have one of those little hand held frothers.

I have considered getting a tofu press but still haven't. and the need for one isn't that great because I usually buy the super firm in the vacuum sealed wrap.

I also like my plastic flexible cutting board.

Reactions: EllieW and PTree15
Getting my tofu press made a big difference in my tofu, and I also buy hard tofu in plastic wrap. It is so much better now.

And Lou I use my knives like you: My chef knife is my normal go-to, but once in a while I take out my serrated, like for tomatoes, and I also like it for bell peppers and onions sometimes for a change.

But most recently I really enjoy my stove top grill. I have the most basic type that sits on and heats directly from burners, made out of cast iron, and is flippable as one side is flat/plaque and the other side is BBQ grill.

I like to keep things very simple. No fancy food choppers from TV or multi-use food processors. I have a convection heater, crock pot and mini blender/chopper next to my stove. Some of my other former favourite "toys" include my all-steel steamer and my handheld blender for plopping into soups and sauces and smoothing and creaming them out.

Also I make a point to only buy wooden stirring spoons and spatulas when I can, to reduce that chemical plastic stuff in my food when cooking.

It's probably a tie between my Kitchen Aid stand mixer and the CuisineArt food processor. They both get regular workouts in my kitchen. Oh, and my mandoline slicer. It's great for getting really thinly sliced vegetables. One day I decided I wanted potato chips and I didn't feel like going to the store to get them, so I used the slicer and got perfect chips.

Reactions: EllieW and Lou
I'm the odd one who doesn't press tofu and NEVER FREEZES.
I always comment because when I first went vegan a friend tried to turn me on to tofu dishes, some she made, and some ribz from a local health store. I didn't like them at all and almost didn't want to try my hand at making it, even though I'd had tofu in restaurants I liked. I then was told the "secret" was either freezing or pressing :yuck:. I like tofu as fresh as possible!

My must have is my Instant Pot. I use it many times a week. Proofing dough, making yogurt too. I also have a Kitchen Aide I got when my kids were little and it still gets used a lot, mostly for shreddy seitan now.
I like my food processor, it's a cheap one and I rue the day it dies as it's not something I'd want to spend much on
Immersion blender is nice
Yep, good sharp knives is a must. I got a cheap set of Cuisinart knives that go on sale a lot now

I'm the odd one who doesn't press tofu and NEVER FREEZES.
I always comment because when I first went vegan a friend tried to turn me on to tofu dishes, some she made, and some ribz from a local health store. I didn't like them at all and almost didn't want to try my hand at making it, even though I'd had tofu in restaurants I liked. I then was told the "secret" was either freezing or pressing :yuck:. I like tofu as fresh as possible!

I almost got a tofu press a few times. (and I buy tofu in bulk and freeze. I think freezing actually improves the texture.
My must have is my Instant Pot. I use it many times a week.

Maybe my instantpot is my favorite too.
Immersion blender is nice
I got a really nice one for xmas a few years back. Don't think I would ever had bought one on my own. but it sure does come in handy In conjunction with the instant pot in making smooth and creamy soups. The immersion blender even came with some attachments. The food processor attachment is pretty good and I gave away my small food processor.
Yep, good sharp knives is a must. I got a cheap set of Cuisinart knives that go on sale a lot now
That is an incredible deal. I wish I needed some knives. Do you like them?

Last edited:
Getting my tofu press made a big difference in my tofu, and I also buy hard tofu in plastic wrap. It is so much better now.
Almost got a tofu press a couple of times. nowadays I buy 5 pounds of Hodo Super firm. Cut it up into like 3 - 4 oz servings and freeze it. just a quick squeeze between a pair of plates seems to be good enough.
And Lou I use my knives like you: My chef knife is my normal go-to, but once in a while I take out my serrated, like for tomatoes, and I also like it for bell peppers and onions sometimes for a change.

I hate doing onions. bought that "as seen on TV" food chopper just for onions but it doesn't really help. I've found that wearing my swim googles while cutting it up into food processor size chunks is my best bet.
But most recently I really enjoy my stove top grill. I have the most basic type that sits on and heats directly from burners, made out of cast iron, and is flippable as one side is flat/plaque and the other side is BBQ grill.
Ha. I got one of those as a present years 20 years ago before I was vegan. I thought as a vegan I should give it away but it doesn't take up much room in the cabinet with the pots and pans. But then once PB meats became so popular its got a second life. Still I don't use mine that often . it only has the grill side.
I like to keep things very simple. No fancy food choppers from TV or multi-use food processors. I have a convection heater, crock pot and mini blender/chopper next to my stove. Some of my other former favourite "toys" include my all-steel steamer and my handheld blender for plopping into soups and sauces and smoothing and creaming them out.

I kind of wish I had an air fryer - but I don't have the room. my immersion blender has a food processor attachment that helps me with chopping onions. My steamer is silicone because my pots are all teflon.
Also I make a point to only buy wooden stirring spoons and spatulas when I can, to reduce that chemical plastic stuff in my food when cooking.
Most of my tools are wooden too. But I still prefer the nylon spatula I got with one of my pans. oh. I totally rely on the plastic ladle I got with a pot.

I almost got a tofu press a few times. (and I buy tofu in bulk and freeze. I think freezing actually improves the texture.

Maybe my instantpot is my favorite too.

I got a really nice one for xmas a few years back. Don't think I would ever had bought one on my own. but it sure does come in handy In conjunction with the instant pot in making smooth and creamy soups. The immersion blender even came with some attachments. The food processor attachment is pretty good and I gave away my small food processor.

That is an incredible deal. I wish I needed some knives. Do you like them?
Just to be clear--my opinion on frozen tofu is that it's not worthy of anything but the trash. It's soft creamy texture texture has been turned into that of an old kitchen sponge, and tastes much the same.
I tried the vacuum packed tofu once and not a fan

I do like the knives a lot! I love that they have sheaths. They may not last a lifetime, but are all razor sharp, and I really like that there is one serrated. It's the only one I have.

Reactions: Lou
The Myabe chef knife is expensive so I was lucky to get it as a gift.
but I had to buy my own bread knife when the handle of my old one came off.
The one I got 2 years ago is great. Recommend it to anyone looking for a bread knife.
I do sharpen it from time to time. And it's still Super sharp.
the only criticism I have is that I shouldn't have gotten the 10" one. An 8"inch one would have been fine.

Reactions: PTree15
My Good Nature M1 Cold Press juicer! It makes amazing juice without any fiber that tastes better than any other juicers out there. I can also use it to make different foods with it. Daily juice should be consumed by everyone for proper health.
I got rid of my juicer. Not sure how it compared to the M1, but it was difficult to clean. plus I rather eat whole fruits and veggies.

I've had a Blendtec blender that I've beat the hell out of for 6 or 7 years now and I love that thing. A cheap Instant Pot I've had for about that long also, doesn't even have the yogurt setting, but it has never errored out or failed on me. I have a slow-masticating juicer that I use strictly for making soy milk for tofu, as I consider juice to be about as nutritious as melting down Flintstone gummy vitamins and drinking them, and prefer smoothies to get all the fiber, etc. in the fruits and greens. I also have a Kitchenaid stand mixer that I haven't used much since discovering that gluten gives me heartburn; einkorn dough (my low-gluten substitute) is easy to overwork, so I just use a Danish dough whisk and just a quick knead in the bowl.

my bullet blender is the tool that I use the most apart from pots and pans and utensils

to make smoothies, sauces, grind spices and chia seeds and flax seeds, taco sauce from salsa, etc

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Reactions: phlubup
I love my Instant Pot so much. I use it I'd say every other day.
Love my old Aldi bullet blender with the flat grinding blade. I grind flax seeds and coffee beans and rolled oats with it
My kitchen aide stand mixer-though it's something I wouldn't buy if I hadn't already had it. It was like the first big purchase I splurged on, and was a good sale. I still use for bread dough and seitan, and have a grinder attachment for nuts and used to make falafel
I like my metal narrow measuring spoons
I also like my metal scraper thing-mine was like a dollar, like this-
1643241059800.png

I am a kitchen gadget junkie. I have 3 immersion blenders, a regular blender (Oster with a glass container) and just recently got a high-performance one (CleanBlend). I have an Instant Pot, a Ninja Air-fryer/Grill combo. A Fresh Express to shred veggies and cheez. An orange juicer, the kind you press a 1/2 orange on and turn it on, not a power juicer. A Belgian waffle maker, a regular 2 square one and a small dash waffle maker to make small round ones. A toaster of course. A convection oven and a microwave oven. A large electric grill for making pancakes. A sandwich maker that makes sandwiches toasted and cut into 2 triangles. A crock pot. A spiralizer. An electric mixer. A mandolein. Some good knives, chef's, bread and paring sizes. A couple of very good veggie peelers. I'm not sure if that's everything. My brain ran out of room to remember more. LOL

I like my metal narrow measuring spoons
I also like my metal scraper thing-mine was like a dollar, like this-
You guys all seem to not understand favorite. :)
Maybe I could have an administrator change the title to something like "What are ARE some of your favorites...."
What are the advantages of Narrow measuring spoons? Mine are all hemispheres.
And what do you use a metal scraper thing for?

When I make my meal plan for the week I have to schedule which days I'll use my instant pot. If I'm making stew, I will schedule the mashed potatoes for the day before. Or if I'm making Black beans, I will do the rice the day before. I soak black beans the night before - same with rice. So planning ahead is mandatory.

Reactions: Emma JC
If you mean favorite favorite then mine is my Instant Pot

I get emotional attachments to things. The measuring spoons are a really nice Oneida set I found at the discount store for a dollar, they're long and narrow so fit into more containers and level easier

The scraper is a thing I always watched chefs use. I also got it for like a dollar. You scrape what you've cut into to transfer to bowls or pans

Okay, I suppose if I were stranded on a desert island and had to pick one, it would be the Instant Pot, since I use it at least once a day.

You guys all seem to not understand favorite. :)
Maybe I could have an administrator change the title to something like "What are ARE some of your favorites...."
What do you mean? They're all my favorites! Whatever I'm using at the time is my favorite! Some favorites fall in and out of use but they are still my favorites! LOL :D