What is the worst thing about being a vegetarian/vegan?

I'd say the worst thing for me at the moment is when it comes into conversation (mainly at work where most of the people in the office are blokes about 20 years older than me) and people ask me to justify why I'm a vegan, but either before or after they give some sh*t response as to why they eat meat/can justify eaiting it.

Reactions: TofuRobot
I find it infuriating when I see advertisements for supermarkets where they show idealised farmyards with a few cows and chickens and pigs roaming free. They should either show the reality or nothing. This is surely breaking the laws regarding misleading advertising. Morrisons are the current culprits.

Just a few months ago I wrote "Or at the taqueria. I get a vegetarian burrito. but have them hold the cheese and sour cream. But I'm still paying for the cheese and sour cream. I feel like I'm not getting my money's worth."

I had just about stopped going out to the Mexican restaurant near my house. I went over there to meet some friends and ordered the vegetarian burrito without cheese or sour cream, like usual. And the waiter said, "If you want we could grill some vegetables instead".

Made my day.

• Love
Reactions: Mischief and shyvas
In the history of the Vegan Society, coups and attempted coups of the Michael Heseltine / Margaret Thatcher variety abound. Donald Watson was not only ousted from the leadership but ostracised by people with the attitude, “We are more vegan than you.” In 1950 he was further humiliated by having his honorary title stripped away. This was not reinstated until 1988.
:)

Roger.

That indeed is so sad. He seemed like a lovely gentleman and lived a long, healthy life.

The worst thing about being a vegan is feeling alone in my choice. Having to listen to other people when they say animals are food, stuff like that. Feeling different.
Vegan food is great, and meat eaters do enjoy vegan food, if they're open to giving it a try. They may never go vegan, but at least they enjoy the meals.

That indeed is so sad. He seemed like a lovely gentleman and lived a long, healthy life.

Agreed!

If anybody intends to visit our beautiful English Lake District they might wish to pay tribute to the great man by staying at Sandburne Vegetarian and Vegan Guest House which was his home in Keswick.

He taught woodwork at the local school and is buried in Crosthwaite churchyard along with Dorothy though there is no headstone to see at their grave.

Incidentally, I am proud to declare that he was a fellow Yorkshireman and last year a blue commemorative plaque for him was unveiled at the school in Mexborough which he attended as a child.

Roger.

Agreed!

If anybody intends to visit our beautiful English Lake District they might wish to pay tribute to the great man by staying at Sandburne Vegetarian and Vegan Guest House which was his home in Keswick.

He taught woodwork at the local school and is buried in Crosthwaite churchyard along with Dorothy though there is no headstone to see at their grave.

Incidentally, I am proud to declare that he was a fellow Yorkshireman and last year a blue commemorative plaque for him was unveiled at the school in Mexborough which he attended as a child.

Roger.

Indeed, I had learned about the B&B in the Lake district and had googled it up a few months ago. If I rightly remember he did have a daughter called Janet.

That is so sad that he doesn't have a headstone. I wonder why ?

How nice that he is not forgotten and that the school have a commemorative plaque in his honour.

I think the worst thing is having to shop in several different places to get the brands I prefer. I know, first world problem for sure. :rolleyes:

My personal pet peeve is the airline food. That's especially true for some third world countries:

Mostly Random Dude: Hi, I would like to fly direct to Dictatorial Gummy on the 27th of October
Airline Rep: Sure, let me reserve your ticket!
MRD: Business class, window seat if possible, please.
AR: Perfect, you're all set.
MRD: Also, I am a vegetarian.
AR: Congratulations!
MRD: ???

• Sad
Reactions: TofuRobot
Only ever flew in the states, I’ve been getting free pretzels and biscoff (vegan cookies) for my 2 hour flights to Mississippi.
Does scare me about long flights, hopefully it wouldn’t be too hard to get vegan meals, might have to call in advance.

It's not the worst thing, but annoying when people who are liberal or progressive don't get veg*nism.

Sure, they tolerate it, and accommodate you, but the snide little jokes make their true views clear.
Yes!
My coworkers were discussing how great Joaquin Phoenixs' speech was at the one awards ceremony- on white privilege. I brought up his speech at the Oscars on animal rights and ruined everything!

Reactions: beancounter
Only ever flew in the states, I’ve been getting free pretzels and biscoff (vegan cookies) for my 2 hour flights to Mississippi.
Does scare me about long flights, hopefully it wouldn’t be too hard to get vegan meals, might have to call in advance.
It's been so long since I've flown anywhere.... Are you not allowed to bring any food at all in your carry on? I know you can't bring water - you can, but you have to buy in the airport.

It's been so long since I've flown anywhere.... Are you not allowed to bring any food at all in your carry on? I know you can't bring water - you can, but you have to buy in the airport.

You are allowed to bring food as long as it is not liquid. Purees and jam are considered as liquids. However, you can bring small amounts of liquid in 100 ml bottles. I always bring vinaigrette and sometimes pb milk with me. :D
You can also bring water once you gone through security. Most US & UK airports have water fountains so you don't have to buy expensive water in plastic bottles. However, not all airports have water fountains. I've never seen them at French airports or at Amsterdam neither.

At Gatwick there is always a huge queue at the water fountains where passengers fill up their bottles before boarding (especially long haul) flights. Some low cost flights are a bit vague about whether they charge you for water.
With regards to ordering a vegan meal, be prepared to be surprised by the lack of imagination and calories that it contains. I always bring my own food and eat it with whatever is provided by the airline company. I have ordered vegan or vegetarian meals and they are usually very disappointing.

Nowadays, on most short/medium haul flights, there are no meals, just a snack and a drink.

I get upset when nature lovers talked about how great it was to kill an animal. I also get upset when animal lovers say, "You can purchase humanely raised meat." I am not a nature lover. And I sure as heck do not like to be around animals very often. The animals that we eat and own never existed in nature anyway. They live in overcrowded environments overflowing with poop. They endure physical and emotional abuse. Moreover, the vegan versions of meat and dairy are superior in taste and costs just a little bit more.

On the positive side, I have the perfect truthful excuse for not eating meat. We have a severe shortage of blood products in the United States. Nurses get stressed out when they have to get blood out of me because my veins are so difficult to get to. I tell nurses, "I do not care how many times you need to poke me or move around the needle around, just get the platelets." My vegan lifestyle is what allows me to donate my disease-free healthy blood.

How can you really be certain that the meat is really from a roadkill ? There are so many scams nowadays, that I would be a bit sceptic.
In this case, I know the guy for the last 20 years plus he's a vegetarian himself. He has a "deal" with the state troopers so they radio him whenever there is a deer hit on the road.

This said, it's pretty easy to go there and examine the carcasses for yourself. If I did not know the guy, that's exactly what I'd do.

• Informative
Reactions: shyvas
In this case, I know the guy for the last 20 years plus he's a vegetarian himself. He has a "deal" with the state troopers so they radio him whenever there is a deer hit on the road.

This said, it's pretty easy to go there and examine the carcasses for yourself. If I did not know the guy, that's exactly what I'd do.

I see. What is the 'deal' that he has with the troopers ? Is it legal to sell roadkill ? Over here I would imagine that the poor animals are incinerated.

I once saw a huge dead wild boar down the road ( near the dual carriageway) being carried onto the track of the local emergency service. I really feel sorry for animals as they must be at a loss when they live near busy roads.