What is one dish that you've veganized?

Would be easier if you asked a dish we haven't veganized!
But okay- breakfast sausage patties-
You'll need a food processor
1 - 8oz package of tempeh (Trader Joes is cheapest)
3/4 cup walnuts
Combine and pulse till broken down a bit
1/2 cup oats
1 teaspoon sage
1 teaspoon thyme
1/2 teaspoon rosemary
1/2 teas black or red pepper
1 teaspoon ground (or whole) fennel seeds
Add and pulse to just combine
1/2 cup water
2 teas liquid smoke
2 Tablespoons maple or agave syrup
1 T oil (optional)
Add and pulse till all together

Play with spices as you like. I'd add garlic or/and onion powder if I had them. I like to add at serving because some here like with eggy black salt
Now you can wrap in a log and refrigerate and slice, or form patties and either bake at 375 (or 350) for like 10 minutes each side, or sautee in oil till browned each side.
These brown up nicely and can then be crumbled to use in recipes. Great for dirty rice!
Also if you use gluten free oats they're gluten free!

Would be easier if you asked a dish we haven't veganized!
But okay- breakfast sausage patties-
You'll need a food processor
1 - 8oz package of tempeh (Trader Joes is cheapest)
3/4 cup walnuts
Combine and pulse till broken down a bit
1/2 cup oats
1 teaspoon sage
1 teaspoon thyme
1/2 teaspoon rosemary
1/2 teas black or red pepper
1 teaspoon ground (or whole) fennel seeds
Add and pulse to just combine
1/2 cup water
2 teas liquid smoke
2 Tablespoons maple or agave syrup
1 T oil (optional)
Add and pulse till all together

Play with spices as you like. I'd add garlic or/and onion powder if I had them. I like to add at serving because some here like with eggy black salt
Now you can wrap in a log and refrigerate and slice, or form patties and either bake at 375 (or 350) for like 10 minutes each side, or sautee in oil till browned each side.
These brown up nicely and can then be crumbled to use in recipes. Great for dirty rice!
Also if you use gluten free oats they're gluten free!

Thanks for the recipe! I always get really inspired by watching other fellow vegans recreate different recipes. I actually teamed up with other vegans to do a collab for a mini-series YouTube. Check it out if you're interested:

• Love
Reactions: silva and Lou
I can't remember where we did this - I don't think it was here - must have been some other vegan forum. :)

Anyway, it was like a challenge where you suggested a dish and then someone took their best shot at veganizing it.

I don't remember any points or scorekeeping of even rules but we were all very cooperative.

Anyway, I just got this recipe from @VeganMegan1 who posted it this morning.

I can't remember where we did this - I don't think it was here - must have been some other vegan forum. :)

Anyway, it was like a challenge where you suggested a dish and then someone took their best shot at veganizing it.

I don't remember any points or scorekeeping of even rules but we were all very cooperative.

Anyway, I just got this recipe from @VeganMegan1 who posted it this morning.

Oh wow. That sounds really fun. Thanks for the recipe!

None. Because I hate faking it. And by veganising some non-vegan foods it goes to show that you somehow still crave for animal products.

Pot pie. I use Betty Crocker's recipe and sub in broccoli for the chicken and nondairy milk and butter for the roux. My family and friends avsolutely love this dish and request it often.

None. Because I hate faking it. And by veganising some non-vegan foods it goes to show that you somehow still crave for animal products.
Saying veganized just means making dishes without the animal products. Going vegan doesn;t mean you have to completely throw out everything you've been used to, but just change the animal ingredients.

I have Americas Test Kitchen from the library and it is very good! Everything in there is a typical dish veganized!

Thanks for the recipe! I always get really inspired by watching other fellow vegans recreate different recipes. I actually teamed up with other vegans to do a collab for a mini-series YouTube. Check it out if you're interested:
Love it! Who are you if I may ask? <3

Reactions: PBD
Spaghetti sauce doesn't have to have meat in it. So it is super easy to veganize. Spaghetti sauce was probably the very first dish I ever veganized. And just recently I started making big batches of it in my InstantPot.

I had stopped buying/using tomato sauce because of my GERDs. But I don't seem to have an acid reflux problem anymore (could be the weight I lost). So I started making it again and this is a pretty good recipe.

Reactions: PBD and Emma JC
Oh. I missed that part that we were supposed to be ethnic or something.

Well, I suppose spaghetti sauce and fettucini are Italian so maybe they count. But here is one that I haven't made yet that is Chinese.

Reactions: Emma JC
Most people probably call these gyros, but where I grew up, we call them donairs. Seriously, we would order these on party nights over pizza, which was basically every weekend. It was something I was really wanting to veganize. Beyond meat made that possible.

I think the main difference between gyros and donairs is the sauce. Don't gyros use tzatziki sauce? Donairs would not be donairs without the sweet garlic sauce. Just ask anyone from Halifax.

The sauce was easier than I expected to re-create. I honestly don't care what sauce you use for yours. You might prefer a hummus based sauce. I've tried that before and enjoyed it as well. I think this sauce is pretty close to the original and it is dairy free. You're the chef, so you decide.

Please let me know if you try out my recipe. I'd like to know what you think of it. If you miss gyros, then you have to try it. Please feel free to embellish or edit the recipe any way you like. Enjoy!

Halifax Donairs with/Beyond Meat

Sauce:

2/3 cup veganaise

1/3 cup sugar

2 tbsp. white vinegar

1/2 tsp garlic powder

Mix ingredients together, tasting to your desire. I don’t measure these ingredients, so it does slightly vary each time. The sauce is pretty close to the taste of the authentic donair sauce, made from evaporated milk, sugar, and vinegar. You can experiment to your own tastes. For a diabetic version you could use whatever sweetener you use in place of the sugar, but using the approximate ratio conversation. I might try adding a bit of vegan sour cream (Tofutti) to this next time. I constantly play around with the recipe, in an effort to improve on it. The sour cream would give it a slightly better texture, and without changing the overall flavour that much, I'm hoping.

Donair Meat:

1-3 packages beyond meat ground
(16 oz packs). The amount of meat used will depend on how many people you are cooking for and how much leftovers you desire. I think the beyond meat is in 16 oz packets. I like having leftovers and so will you ;)

3/4 cup bread crumbs (fine)

2 tablespoons ground flax (I use this in place of egg to bind it all together. It is optional and does not contribute to the flavour of the donair. You will need to add a bit of water to the flax to make it sticky). If it does bind successfully, you might get away with the traditional loaf style. I have not made it enough times, so I am still experimenting. I prefer making it into thin patties, which can be fried to achieve a crispy texture.

2 tsp white pepper

1-2 tsp cayenne red pepper
(depending on your taste)

3 tablespoons ground oregano

1 tablespoons leaf oregano

3 tablespoons paprika

3 tablespoons onion powder

1 Table spoon(s) garlic powder

2-3 tsp salt

The spices here are a guestimate and should be adjusted to your tastes and also to the amount of meat used. I never measure, so be your own chef and decide what you like. These are the spices for traditional Halifax donairs, but the amounts are up to you. The most important thing to remember is the salt ratio. Approximately 1 tsp of salt per pound of meat is about right and the rest of the spices are pretty flexible. I usually add a lot more of the spices, but not salt, obviously. Maybe start with a 1/3 of this recipe to see if you like it. I know I like it ;)

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Knead until binded and sticky. Shape into a tightly formed loaves (traditional method) or patties, as I prefer. Normally you would bake the donair meat (loaf), but because beyond meat requires a lot less cooking, I’ve been forming it into patties and frying them instead, as I mentioned. I slice it afterwards to put in my wrap.

I find the traditionally baked loaves with beyond meat crumbles apart, which is why I switched to making them into patties. I think the loaves were overcooking, in order to completely cook through. The patties works way better in my opinion.

Also run your pita under cold water for a second on both sides then lightly fry. This makes the pita soft and pliable to make your donair/gyro wrap.

Donairs in Halifax are served in heated pita bread, with sweet sauce, diced onions and tomatoes. Nothing more and nothing less!