What if you were invited to dine at the White House and you didn't know if you could eat anything??

Amy SF

Dweller in nature
Supporter
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
It’s easy enough to be veg*an in your private life. Even in a situation where you don’t get to choose the menu (such as a company-sponsored dinner), you could conceivably have at least SOME control over what you eat with little risk of offending others.

But what would you do if you were dining in a very high-profile, public setting? For example, what if you were invited to dine at the White House, or at the residence of the head of state in the country where you live, or at a fancy dinner at an embassy, a situation where you can’t control what you eat? Would you take a chance that they'd have at least one thing that was vegetarian or vegan? Would you refuse the invitation because of your diet? Would you eat something before you go and not eat anything at the meal, or very little of it? In such situations, the risk of offending others would be much greater. Would you take that risk?

Of course I’m not in that situation or know anyone who is. It’s just a thought that popped into my head. There might be some situation in one’s life where you couldn’t control what was served to you, and yet you’d be too uncomfortable refusing the invitation. What would you do?

Okay, let’s suppose that you’re able to contact the White House, or the embassy, or whoever else has invited you to that fancy high-profile dinner, and discuss with them your options. Would you do that if you could?

I assume that they would send out a dietary preference card before hand. I would assume it would not be a big deal anyway because Michelle Obama is a huge supporter of healthy eating and they have quite a nice garden.
(That food would be amazing.)

With the present administration being so health focused, I would expect there to be a lot I could eat. Otherwise, if it were at the Whitehouse, they have chefs, I would ask them to make something vegan. And yes, I would contact them ahead of time if I had a contact number.

But, if there really wasn't anything I could eat, and the host would be offended if I didn't eat, they would have to suck it up. I'm not going to push my ethics aside to play up to someone's ego.

The White House and similar head of state residences would presumably be used to cooking for people on non-standard diets. For example, vegetarian for Hindus, halal for Muslims, kosher for Jews, non-dairy for a lot of indigenous, peoples, allergy-friendly food to people with allergies, sometimes special meals according to the religious calendar, various fad diets for trendy people.

If I knew they wouldn't respect my choice of diet, then I simply wouldn't go.

I get emails from the Democrats, and sometimes people can win a dinner with the president....I think...maybe it was for donors...

The White House has big dinners all the time, and they do have preference cards, like @suicide blonde mentioned.

I've seen an invitation from the Reagan White House, and on the enclosed little rsvp card, it asked "any dietary preferences?" So I guess you'd tell the waiter when you sat down that you are "that vegan". :D

It would depend on the situation and why I was going there. For just a dinner and a chat, I probably wouldn't go, as I do not fancy big parties with strangers or support the monarchy. If it had been something through my work, I would go, even though I wasn't sure if I got anything to eat. Both situation are really not going to happen. Our princess Mette-Marit is wearing fur too btw. :( Shame on her!

But I guess a dinner with the royal familiy are used to set up individual menues, as the have guests from all over the world, so I guess they have chefs who doesn't hate people with different kind of preferences.

I'm so used to sitting at dinner tables and eating nothing that it wouldn't even phase me. I'd be too embarrassed to ask for something vegan. But I'd starve to death before I asked someone to go out their way for me, so there's that.

Wait, how does someone living in the UK get emails from the Democrats? Did you donate to the party?

guess what; I sent them a photoshop idea for a campaign poster back in 2008. I think you only have to email them to get on their list of emails.

I've had emails where it says 'from Barack Obama'...and Michelle Obama......slightly surprising, but they are just mass emails.

I think my dishwasher is broken.... :mad:

Edit: I posted this in wrong threat obvious. :p

Last edited:
then it will be easier to accept the invite to the White House.

LOL It would. So my answer now is "Yes, I would go to any dinner that I'm invited to, so I don't need to do my dishes".

I have buy a new one next week I'm off. It's not what I want to use money on now, but I really HATE to do the dishes...

Considering the amount of taxes the federal government sucks from my paycheck, I would have no problem asking for a 7-course vegan meal. Especially when they have professional chefs.

Reactions: ledboots and Amy SF
The White House released the menu for what it’s calling Thursday night’s “working dinner” in the Blue Room. Vice President Biden will join Obama and Cameron at the meal.

Although none of the trio is known to be non-meat eaters, a vegetarian option is specifically listed for any herbivores in attendance: roasted artichokes with orzo Florentine and tomato ragout.
More: PETA applauds White House for vegetarian option at British PM dinner | TheHill (Jan. 15, 2015)

Considering the amount of taxes the federal government sucks from my paycheck, ...

What comes to my mind.

(Just from a European perspective. We know about "high taxes" :confused:)

Other than that, I'd love to serve as an example of a person requesting a vegan meal (and calling before to make sure it does not turn into an awkward situation for the catering and a hunger-inducing one for myself)

Demand a 5 star vegan meal, complete with vegan cheesecake :p No cheaping out and using regular tofu as a substitute either, toffutti cream cheese only.
No one should have to give up their morals to not offend people. If I were in that position, hopefully I'd be comfortable enough to mention that I don't eat animal products ahead of time

Last edited: