What foods do you miss?

Have you had any success in making a plant-based salami or pepperoni?
Ah yes! I make pepperoni every few months. I just used a list of the spices involved to taste. The big addition seems to be to add in a few tbs of tapioca starch per cup of VWG, this helps give the seitan a more sausage-y texture. I also wrap them in heavy duty foil and bake them, instead of simmering or steaming.
A lot of recipes call for adding beans to sausage seitan, but have yet to try it.

Anyways I dont really have a "recipe" for it as it is something I make so often and like to toss it up:

dry:
1 cup VWG
2 tbs tapioca starch
1 tbs nooch
Pepperoni spices to taste (do not skimp on them, esp the hot spices)
( Here is a site that lists them, it is a meat site so be forewarned https://goldenagecheese.com/blog/beef-pepperoni/various-spices-used-in-pepperoni-preparation/ )

wet:
Just under a cup (like 7/8th) of veggie broth, warm. (I use water with better than boullion veggie flavor)
A dash (1 tbs?) soy sauce
1 tsp to 1 tbs of liquid smoke (the proper kind, not the stubbs "soy sauce with liquid smoke added but we still just call it liquid smoke...")

Preheat oven to 350F
Add the wet to the dry and mix. For pepperoni I suggest JUST mixing, do not kneed. Form in to 2 logs about 6 inches long each (or one foot long one) and DOUBLE wrap in heavy duty aluminum foil, twisting the ends like a tootsie roll. I also use a toothpick and punch a few small holes in the ends near the twists, this seems to help prevent exploding seitan by letting some of the steam pressure escape. Something I have had happen a few times :<
Place in oven for 45 minutes, then place on cooling rack until room temp.

Anyways, I hope that helps, it is oil free, but I found that baking seitan in foil with oil just makes a mess. If you need it to be oily, you can add some oil to a pot with some of the pepperoni spices cooking it for a bit and then storing the seitan in the oil in the fridge. This works really well if you slice the seitan first.

Reactions: amberfunk and Jai
Oh that's a great starting point. Thank you so much for the detailed response

Apart from Italian style Salami, I have a major weakness for a fermented beef sausage that is common in Middle Eastern cultures called Soujuk, so it will be interesting to try and create some plant-based semblance of that as well.

Reactions: EarlyBird89
I can give you so many answers that I think the server would shut down. Let me think... Well, I definitely have a sweet tooth. Since I was little I had this love for anything that is food and sweet. Then again who doesn't like yummy sweet foods? Somewhere deep down in my memories I remember this one cake that my mum would make our family. Just from memory, I wasn't top sure on how to re-create it. Reading up on many sites I remembered the "chocolate berry pound cake", It's a must have for any vegan that respects himself. Especially if you are like me and eating the cake isn't just for joy but for the memories. It's actually quite easy to do. I mean anyone could make this cake from the first go and I am more than sure it would be amazing. Side note: never eat too much cake.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jai