What hair care products do you use?

Amy SF

Dweller in nature
Supporter
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
I realize that not everyone has the same type of hair, but I’m curious to know what the people here on VeggieViews use on their hair.

I was using Redken Diamond Oil shampoo and conditioner for the past year and a half because it was recommended by a hair stylist at the Ulta Beauty in Santa Monica, but it was discontinued, and I recently ran out. I tried the Redken All Soft as a replacement, but I don’t like what it does to my hair. I have very thick, curly hair, and All Soft made it worse. It’s really better for people with thin hair who need volume. I found some shampoo and conditioner samples that I was originally going to give away, and tried both today. Because of my thick hair, one sample envelope has only enough for one application, so I ended up using two different brands: Schwartzkopf Gliss and Pantene Daily Moisture. I liked the Pantene better, and at least I washed out most of the All Soft and got my hair clean. Since I wash my hair every three days, I realized I couldn’t go back to using the All Soft and had to buy something else quickly. I ended up ordering the Pantene Daily Moisture shampoo and conditioner from Amazon, and even spent an extra $7.99 for one day shipping so I’d get it Monday and have it for my hair on Tuesday. This is just to tide me over until I find something that’s better than a mainstream brand like Pantene.

Once I get the Pantene, I’m getting rid of the All Soft. I’m sure there are people here with thin, limp hair who would like it. But it’s not for thick, curly, wavy hair like mine.

(I guess the universe was trying to tell me that it’s time to move on to a new brand.)

Oh, and I’m still using the styling product that the same Ulta stylist recommended: Redken Curvaceous Creme for curls. It works great and hasn’t been discontinued (yet).

So, now that I’m done rambling, what do yall use?

I like this brand: Alba Botanica® | Alba Botanica Skin & Hair Care
I get the products at TJ Maxx at a discount. When what I need isn't available, I will get the cheap stuff that is not tested on animals like White Rain. I use the moisturizing kind because as I have gotten older, my hair tends to be a little dry. I will also try various cruelty free brands I see at TJ Maxx. Sometimes the conditioners are a failure because I need de-tangling properties and I have found that some organic brands don't do this well at all.

No styling products... any more. ;) I don't bother with styling my hair nowadays... unless I'm in a show, but it's been quite some time since anything's piqued my interest. The last couple/few years I just wear a thin headband, put my hair in a ponytail, & slap on a ball-cap... at most, I spray a little hairspray on my hands to smooth down fly-aways. Simple, comfy, hassle-free... and the brim of my hat shades (helps to hide) my face, which is really to everyone's benefit. :p

I use Dr. Bronner's castile soap (liquid) for hair & body.

@Chryssie -- White Rain doesn't test on animals?? That's very good to know! :) And I am definitely a bargain-shoppin' b*tch! LOL

Last edited:
I'm gonna try Trader Joes tea tree tingle shampoo. I get that waxy sebum, not dandruff, and it bugs me. I wash every other day.
The last time l used henna the smell seemed to linger forever :rolleyes:. l hate how hair smells, and not just my own. l seem to be particularly sensitive

Anyone remember "gee your hair smells terrific"? I loved that smell :p

I just used up the Natures Gate herbal vegan shampoo, still have lots of conditioner left. It was bogo free. I did not like it. It left my hair much like Dr Bronners- just lifeless, and weighed down. I have thick wavy hair.

I use a Sukin purifying shampoo. Quite good if you have fine hair! I'll literally use any conditioner cause I only use a tiny bit on the ends so it doesn't really matter what it is. Generally get a cheap superdrug one. Then I'll usually put a tiny bit of hair oil in the ends when it's damp... That's it really.

Apart from that - dry shampoo, every day.

I went to Dollar Tree to check out shampoos. All had 'not tested on animals', or 'cruelty free' except for VO5! and made in Canada
I found Salon Selectives, color safe and volumizing. Low sulfites, no parabens, and the - upload_2018-8-19_21-48-55.jpeg
My hair is finally fluffy again!
184432.jpg

OMG, I remember Salon Selectives from way back! :weird: I also remember it smelling really awesome....

@silva Does it still smell awesome??
I would say it smells very pleasant, fresh, not too strong, not perfumey, maybe a hint of melon without being fruity.
I looked at their site and this one isn't there, and they don't talk about no cruelty or anything. Maybe discontinued, or that it's made in Canada? I love that it's low sulfites and no parabens, and it didn't weigh down my hair
Now that I notice, my waxy build up is gone!
I'm gonna get a couple more just in case!

My favorite thing is oils by Virginic ->Golden Jojoba Oil
I apply a few drops cause the mixture has high concentration, but what it does is just amazing
I find the brand recently, I don't think they exist on market for ages, I mean it is a new thing
Got recommended by my friend about it and would like to share it with you too!