What foods have you never eaten?

Amy SF

Dweller in nature
Supporter
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
What iconic or popular foods have you never tried, even when available to you? A lot of people seem to be surprised that I’ve never tried certain foods that are supposed to be a common experience, especially for baby boomers.

I’ve never had:
Pop-Tarts
Hostess Twinkies or Hostess anything
McDonald’s Big Mac
Deep fried candy bars (popular at county and state fairs here in America)
Grits
Also, when we were in London in 1976, I wanted to try the traditional English breakfast, but my parents insisted on ordering a continental breakfast for me instead. I’m still bummed that I missed my chance to try it, because even though a veg*an fry-up is a thing in London now, I doubt I’ll ever get back to England again.

Ditto on the deep-fried candy bars or Twinkies, or whatever they deep-fry at fairs (aside from french fries). :D
Hostess, on the other hand, I'm quite familiar with, hehe. I ate that stuff after school all the time. I would save up my milk money for the week and buy a Hostess snack on the way home from school. :D

I can't really think of any other iconic foods that I've missed out on. :D Maybe Lunchables, though they didn't really come around until I was an adult, and I had no interest in them.

Reactions: Val
I've never tried urbech, because i don't think it's worth it (it's pricy, and i don't have such a sweet tooth).
...PB:eek:. I've never tried peanut butter, and i doubt i will, as i smelled it once, and it smelled disgusting, (plus, i used to hate peanuts as a kid, so...).

I've never tried urbech, because i don't think it's worth it (it's pricy, and i don't have such a sweet tooth).
...PB:eek:. I've never tried peanut butter, and i doubt i will, as i smelled it once, and it smelled disgusting, (plus, i used to hate peanuts as a kid, so...).

Urbech, I had to look that up.

http://saviorsofearth.ning.com/m/blogpost?id=2492330:BlogPost:733510

Also, I’ve never thought of peanut butter as being an acquired taste, but that’s because I’ve always eaten and liked it. (And I ate a LOT of PB&J sandwiches when I was a new vegetarian.) I guess it’s a matter of different tastes. :p

Urbech, I had to look that up.

http://saviorsofearth.ning.com/m/blogpost?id=2492330:BlogPost:733510

Also, I’ve never thought of peanut butter as being an acquired taste, but that’s because I’ve always eaten and liked it. (And I ate a LOT of PB&J sandwiches when I was a new vegetarian.) I guess it’s a matter of different tastes. :p
I guess, it's also a matter of national food traditions. Russians have been introduced to PB very recently,- in fact, they are not even familiar with this thing. It must seem odd to you...:D But... indeed, there has never been such a product as PB (we even saw peanuts for the first time only when the "Iron curtain" fell down:p). Nowadays, i notice it somewhere (very rarely), but i also notice that people don't buy it. One has to go to a vegan shop if he wants to be sure that he gets fresh edible peanut butter.:shrug:

So many grains I haven't tried!
Never had millet, teff, so many I don't even know.
I've had the idea of putting together samplers of things like this to sell but need to look up regulations.
having cats kinda makes it iffy :rolleyes:

So many grains I haven't tried!
Never had millet, teff, so many I don't even know.
I've had the idea of putting together samplers of things like this to sell but need to look up regulations.
having cats kinda makes it iffy :rolleyes:
If you mean this millet (psheno),
19-09-49-krupa-psheno-shlifovannoe.jpg
...then you may not like it (it has a weird taste, for my liking). But it's cheap, and it's the one of russians' favourite foods.o_O

Maybe? :p
I have to take some pictures from the Russian store near me. The people working there are oddly not helpful, in fact they come across pretty rudeo_O. Few things have english translations

Maybe? :p
I have to take some pictures from the Russian store near me. The people working there are oddly not helpful, in fact they come across pretty rudeo_O. Few things have english translations
Are those unfriendly people Russian?o_O It would be odd... OTOH, they have a lot of russian-speaking clients, who won't interrupt their leisure with annoying uncomfortable questions. Perhaps, they don't see any sense in "wasting" their energy on non-russian customers... :rofl:
P.S...I hope they won't yell at you if you take pictures in there... (They're capable of doing it:D).
I would be glad to "decipher" cyrillic scribble for you.23:laptop: :lol:

Reactions: Amy SF
Well I dont think I ever tried camembert in my pre vegan days, and people seem to be obsessed with it! Warm with bread dipped in. Looks gross to me anyway!

Well I dont think I ever tried camembert in my pre vegan days, and people seem to be obsessed with it! Warm with bread dipped in. Looks gross to me anyway!
I used to love camembert in my carnivorous days. But it was more firm than you have described. I agree, gross anyway. (Cheese was the one thing that i was struggling to ditch. I'm glad i did it eventually).😊

Well, when it comes to sweets, I've tried just about everything....

I've never had:
kumquats
Vegemite
"exotic meats" (prior to becoming veggie)
Fried green tomatoes
starfruit
Persimmon
pomelo
amaranth
spiked still water
hard seltzer
Turnips
rutabaga

I'm sure there's plenty more.

Well, when it comes to sweets, I've tried just about everything....

I've never had:
kumquats
Vegemite
"exotic meats" (prior to becoming veggie)
Fried green tomatoes
starfruit
Persimmon
pomelo
amaranth
spiked still water
hard seltzer
Turnips
rutabaga

I'm sure there's plenty more.
From this list, i've tried only the following: persimmons, amaranth, turnips, pomelo, and kumquats. I don't mind trying starfruit though. Amaranth is the best,- i eat it in winter, at least, once a week.:lick:
I might say, i've never tried green olives, but i tried black ones, and tbh, i regretted. They are gross, so no olives for me anymore.:lol:

I'm sure there are lots of foods I've never tried, but most of the ones I can think of, I wouldn't try now anyway - like tongue or sea urchin. I'm a pretty adventurous eater, I live in an urban area and I've traveled, so I've been exposed to a lot of different cuisines.

Eta - it's just occured to me - I've never tried Mochi or Macarons. Neither one really appeal, but maybe I'll have to try just for fun (assuming I can find vegan macarons…🤔)

Reactions: Val and Amy SF
I'm sure there are lots of foods I've never tried, but most of the ones I can think of, I wouldn't try now anyway - like tongue or sea urchin. I'm a pretty adventurous eater, I live in an urban area and I've traveled, so I've been exposed to a lot of different cuisines.

Eta - it's just occured to me - I've never tried Mochi or Macarons. Neither one really appeal, but maybe I'll have to try just for fun (assuming I can find vegan macarons…🤔)
I saw mochi in "Red dragon" the other day (Asian, mostly Chinese shop). But i wasn't sure i would like them, so i didn't want to waste money on a questionable pleasure. If you ever try them, please, tell me how they taste... I've never tried macarons either.

So many vegan cheeses I'd like to try, but honestly
I saw mochi in "Red dragon" the other day (Asian, mostly Chinese shop). But i wasn't sure i would like them, so i didn't want to waste money on a questionable pleasure. If you ever try them, please, tell me how they taste... I've never tried macarons either.
Mochi, that I've had, is from glutenous rice flour and makes a kinda gelatinous base that's usually used to wrap around a filling, such as sweet bean paste, matcha or different kinds of ice cremes, often vegan. I don't find it anything special, but it is certainly interesting. It's gummy.

So many vegan cheeses I'd like to try, but honestly

Mochi, that I've had, is from glutenous rice flour and makes a kinda gelatinous base that's usually used to wrap around a filling, such as sweet bean paste, matcha or different kinds of ice cremes, often vegan. I don't find it anything special, but it is certainly interesting. It's gummy.
Yeah, i was aware of what it's made of, about it's texture, of how it behaves, and everything. (It's getting popular not only amongs hipsters here, but among those who simply love "Eastern-Asian" food. And that was my problem. I had some kind of predjudice in my mind about how our "traditional" pirozhnyiye (small cake desserts) should look like. The idea of rice being sweet was frightening me, lol.:sheep:

I've never had Vegemite, I think, but I've tried Marmite, and I'll never do that again if I can avoid it!

I'm also not a big fan of sweets or fizzy drinks, so I've probably "missed out" on quite a few of those, both iconic ones and those less so. (When I was a child I was the weirdo who would rather spend pocket money on comic books than on sweets and fuzzy drinks.)