What do you have in the oven Right Now?

SapphireLightning

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Since there are a lot of "What did you eat for brekky" or "what are you eating now" threads, I figured I would add to the fun with this one. So, what's in your oven right this second?

For me?

Maybe it's..... Seitan!

(Specifically a smokey sesame oil garlic and cinnamon etc seitan steak that I intend to do my usual "surface treatment" to after it cools, right before pan frying.)

I'll arm wrestle you for that.
IMG_20200228_131341233.jpg

Naw, just cut a piece for yourself :)

@SapphireLightning -I want to know about that pie! :yes:

Last night mine was busy with soft pretzel bagels (because bagel shapes are way easier than pretzel).
I also made seitan shreds using cannelini beans. I used my Kitchenaide mixer for both. (and the Instant Pot for the seitan, but if a crockpot is included, I include IP)

@SapphireLightning -I want to know about that pie! :yes:

Last night mine was busy with soft pretzel bagels (because bagel shapes are way easier than pretzel).
I also made seitan shreds using cannelini beans. I used my Kitchenaide mixer for both. (and the Instant Pot for the seitan, but if a crockpot is included, I include IP)

Is just Shepard's pie, except no Sheppard. The closest thing I could think of was fluttershy as she runs an animal sanctuary.

How'd the seitan shreds turn out? I wanna make some so I can make some "steak"-ums with cashew cheese.

Is just Shepard's pie, except no Sheppard. The closest thing I could think of was fluttershy as she runs an animal sanctuary.

How'd the seitan shreds turn out? I wanna make some so I can make some "steak"-ums with cashew cheese.
I couldn't figure out what you could mean by 'fluttershy", my best guess was "shoefly" pie- which is some kind of sugary Southern dessert ! :rofl:
I never thought about shepards pie being either veg or meat based-I assume it depends on the shepard that makes it, so ours would naturally be vegan (if we were ever to shepard anything- I kinda shepard cats...)

I used too much vwg, but they still turned out good. I joined the Seitan Appreciation group for inspiration and found the recipe, and tons of tips, there. I have a Kitchenaid stand mixer and it went in there with the dough hook for about 15 min, then wrapped in foil in IP for 2 hours. I shredded it as soon as it was cool enough to handle. I think I will be buying a food scale now. The dough was really dense and I know I used way more than I should have. I made it before and it was a moist soft dough, and tender shreds.
People in the FB site say if you just rest the dough overnight it gives the same grain as kneading

I'm making a chik'n salad with celery, relish, onion and cranberries and vegan mayo now