What did you eat for Dinner/Supper today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve largely been grazing the past few days and as such didn’t really have any formal meals.

Foodstuffs included:

Homemade chickpea nuts – a lot of them
Homemade (some commercial too) tater tots – a lot of these too, with salsa
A high fiber wholegrain bread, sometimes with lowered sodium Vegemite, sometimes without
Carrots
Broccoli
Cos lettuce
fruit smoothies, citrus mostly but also some cherry and dates
Pumpkin seeds
Beer, homemade and commercial. My vegan sin “food”
popcorn
Homemade oat milk with a little raw sugar and cacao powder
Pickles and jalapenos

Reactions: betiPT
I’ve largely been grazing the past few days and as such didn’t really have any formal meals.

Foodstuffs included:

Homemade chickpea nuts – a lot of them
Homemade (some commercial too) tater tots – a lot of these too, with salsa
A high fiber wholegrain bread, sometimes with lowered sodium Vegemite, sometimes without
Carrots
Broccoli
Cos lettuce
fruit smoothies, citrus mostly but also some cherry and dates
Pumpkin seeds
Beer, homemade and commercial. My vegan sin “food”
popcorn
Homemade oat milk with a little raw sugar and cacao powder
Pickles and jalapenos

Hey @Nekodaiden,

How did you make the chickpea nuts and tater tots?

Cheers :)

I found some vegetable "meat" balls in Sainsbury's, thought I'd give a shot at spaghetti and "meat" balls. Went way better than I expected... Yeah, there's a lot of spaghetti because I had the munchies!

Looked photo worthy :p

[GALLERY=media, 225]Spaghetti & "meat" balls by Damo posted Mar 11, 2017 at 9:14 PM[/GALLERY]

What have you cooked recently? Lets see some photo's!
SUPER :)

Reactions: betiPT
Hey @Nekodaiden,

How did you make the chickpea nuts and tater tots?

Cheers :)

@betiPT

Chickpea nuts:

1) Soak chickpeas overnight
2) Boil in salt water (to your taste) till soft
3) Pulverize onion and garlic or use powdered (I typically use 1 part onion and 1/2-1/4 part garlic), with a little water
4) Saturate chickpeas with onion/garlic/water mix in a pan
5) Cook on high and mix occasionally until all liquid is gone
6) Reduce heat to lowest setting (so they don't burn) and slow cook until they are crunchy

Tater Tots:

1) Parboil potatoes 6-7 minutes
2) Grate using a cheese grater
3) Strain any excess water
4) Add spices, salt to your taste
5) Form into tots and cook in a pan

Last edited:
pierogies with fried onions and jalapenos, topped with facon (smoky tempeh) and some shredded cheez

dessert: new Haagen-Dazs Chocolate Salted Fudge Truffle (non-dairy) - oh my it was too good - I buy a small ice cream about once every two months when they are on sale.... this is going to tax that discipline

Emma JC

@betiPT

Chickpea nuts:

3) Pulverize onion and garlic or use powdered (I typically use 1 part onion and 1/2-1/4 part garlic), with a little water
6) Reduce heat to lowest setting (so they don't burn) and slow cook until they are crunchy

Tater Tots:

Thanks heaps :)

Reactions: Nekodaiden
Made crabless cakes, steamed swiss chard and angel hair pasta with pesto sauce from Aldi's (I hope they keep it if not I'll make it myself). Here's the recipe that I use for the cakes https://veganhuggs.com/vegan-crab-cakes/ . Instead of frying them I bake them at 400 degrees on a pan sprayed with coconut oil. I also use yellow mustard and mustard powder instead of dijon.

Dinner was pretty simple: Homemade tater tots (a lot of them) with mustard, ketchup and salt.

And some beer afterwards.

Reactions: Veganite and betiPT
Made the Lentil Loaf from Simnett Nutrition holiday meals video except I substituted half black bean for half of the lentils and I didn't put the frozen peas in, instead I had them as a side along with potato and sweet potato done in the Instant Pot and crazy that I froze that was leftover from Christmas.

Emma JC

@betiPT

Chickpea nuts:

Tater Tots:

I’m making these tonight! Thanks heaps ;)

Reactions: Nekodaiden
Just nuts (peanuts and cashews) with salsa.

I haven't been eating that many vegetables lately, so I had a large salad of romaine lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber slices, yellow bell pepper slices, chickpeas, and vegan non-dairy ranch dressing. It was very satisfying.

Onion, spinach, and tofu sauteed in canola oil, hot chili oil, Braggs liquid aminos, and seaweed/sesame seed gomasio. Eaten with brown rice and scallions sprinkled on top. Plus a handful of walnuts.

Reactions: Lou and betiPT
I’m making these tonight! Thanks heaps ;)

@betiPT

How’d you go with making the chickpea nuts and tots? I should probably have mentioned I’ve been doing the chicpea nuts a while, but the tots are a new addition and I’m a total noob at them (I had done only once when I posted those instructions) The first batch came out o k (if not perfectly shaped like store bought) but there’s a few things I’ve found doing them a few more times:

Smaller potatoes need less parboil time
Use of a non-stick pan helps a lot
Squeezing/compacting together serves to not only drain water (if any) but make them easier to form

- I form into rolls to cut into pieces like I do with dough when I make flat bread. Can’t really do this unless it’s compacted a bit or it will fall apart. So if adding spices/salt that requires mixing – need to re compact again.

Using the smaller grate size gives a shred more similar to store bought if that is what’s sought.

Oh, and I forgot a step in the original post: drain hot water after parboiling and fill potato filled pot with cool to stop cooking and make them easier to work with.

Here’s some plain tots (just potatoes, no spices, salt or oil) I did today from just a few fairly small potatoes, using a non stick pan and the small shredder size on the grater. They definitely look more like tots than my first try!:

Homemadetots-Jan2019.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.