Foolproof Seitan recipes/Tips/Techniques

I have a batch of seitan gently simmering away. It really is a great source of protein and you can use it in so many recipes.

I think that I will make a salad with peaches and seitan for dinner.

Reactions: PTree15
IMG_6808.jpg

I have made a huge batch of Lincolnshire style seitan sausages. I have frozen half of them and the other half are in the fridge.

I may make some Boston style barlotti beans in the slow cooker with a couple of bangers.

Last edited:
Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52
@shyvas When you make the sausage-style seitan, do you wrap it in anything? Also, do you bake it or steam it? I am curious as I've never made sausage-style seitan, but I would like to. :)

@shyvas When you make the sausage-style seitan, do you wrap it in anything? Also, do you bake it or steam it? I am curious as I've never made sausage-style seitan, but I would like to. :)

I just poach them. I make a large batch and have never thought of wrapping them. The seasoning was just right and I sautéed one for lunch and the texture was just right.

Reactions: KLS52 and PTree15
I just poach them. I make a large batch and have never thought of wrapping them. The seasoning was just right and I sautéed one for lunch and the texture was just right.
Great, thank you. :)

I've done sausage in foil wraps and simmered, but I really like seitan better just simmered. I like to really load up the seasonings IN the seitan, and then lightly flouring them and sauteeing.
Now I want that- it's been a while

Reactions: PTree15
image.jpeg My first seitan sausages. I used the Post Punk Kitchen recipe for simple Italian-style sausages. I wrapped them in foil and steamed them. They are delicious. I cannot believe how tasty they are. The recipe called for white beans, but I didn't have any so I used black beans. I think even omnis would enjoy these. I decided to have one in a roll with mustard and chopped onions. So dang awesome.

Last edited:
Reactions: KLS52
View attachment 10098 My first seitan sausages. I used the Post Punk Kitchen recipe for simple Italuan-style sausages. I wrapped them in foil and steamed them. They are delicious. I cannot believe how tasty they are. The recipe called for white beans, but I didn't have any so I used black beans. I think even omnis would enjoy these. I decided to have one in a roll with mustard and chopped onions. So dang awesome.

Mmmm, looks good!

Mmmm, looks good!
Thank you, Mel. I'm so excited that they came out so well. Even the texture is great. They are so nice and spicy, too. I absolutely love them. I think they will be great sliced up and added to spaghetti with sauce, or maybe crumbled up and added to a tofu scramble. I could have them with baked beans...the possibilities are many.

Reactions: KLS52
Thank you, Mel. I'm so excited that they came out so well. Even the texture is great. They are so nice and spicy, too. I absolutely love them. I think they will be great sliced up and added to spaghetti with sauce, or maybe crumbled up and added to a tofu scramble. I could have them with baked beans...the possibilities are many.

They look fabulous and you managed to create the precise sausage like shape. What kind of spices did you use ?

Perhaps you could start your own vegan sausage company ?:p

Reactions: KLS52 and PTree15
They look fabulous and you managed to create the precise sausage like shape. What kind of spices did you use ?

Perhaps you could start your own vegan sausage company ?:p
Thank you, shyvas! I think wrapping them in foil was key to the shape. I used fresh garlic, fennel seeds, oregano, thyme, paprika, red pepper flakes and ground pepper. I can't wait to have another one tomorrow for lunch. They remind me of the sausage we used to get at the ball games back in the day.

Thank you, shyvas! I think wrapping them in foil was key to the shape. I used fresh garlic, fennel seeds, oregano, thyme, paprika, red pepper flakes and ground pepper. I can't wait to have another one tomorrow for lunch. They remind me of the sausage we used to get at the ball games back in the day.

I made a batch of sausages using the foil method and found that the sausages were lacking in moisture. However, they do come out looking exactly like a sausage compared to the other method were they are simmered.

Reactions: Mel
Once I made sausages with chopped apple. I used foil because they certainly didn't want to stick to the pieces, so it held them together. They were really good, the bits gave them that kind of bite like you'd get with fat (kinda), you know, like moist parts instead of pops of fat? I don't know why I've never done it again, I guess because they're are so many different ways to try.
I've meant to try dried apple bits and lots sage and garlic pieces

I think the biggest thing seitan sausage often lacks is the different textures and the casing.

Reactions: PTree15 and Mel
I made a seitan with a whole jar of spaghetti sauce from
It came out tasting just like I remembered the stuffing my grandmother used in her stuffed cabbage. I want to make this with cooked cabbage, rice, carrots, onions and peppers for unstuffed cabbage casserole
Very different, I cooked it in the oven with the rinsed out water from the sauce jar, and covered the pan. I would divide the mix in serving size shapes to cook quicker

Reactions: PTree15 and Mel
I made a batch of sausages using the foil method and found that the sausages were lacking in moisture. However, they do come out looking exactly like a sausage compared to the other method were they are simmered.
Hmm, there is a fair amount of liquid in the recipe I use. A cup of veggie broth, I believe, plus some soy sauce, for four links. I think that helps, though they aren't super moist, but I actually like the texture and whatnot. I thought they might be rubbery, but they aren't.