What are your favorite kitchen gadgets and tools?

Amy SF

Dweller in nature
Supporter
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
What are your favorite kitchen gadgets and tools? What could you NOT live without? Also, what don't you have in your kitchen at present but would LOVE to own?

From the very basic to fancy high-tech and everything in between, we all have our favorites.

Gadgets and tools include:

Apple corer
Blender
Bread machine
Cheese grater
Vegetable slicer
Chef’s knife
Coffee maker
Colander
Convection oven
Crockpot/slow cooker
Dehydrator
Dutch oven
Flour sifter
Food processor
Fruit and vegetable peeler
Frying pan
Glass or stainless steel mixing bowls
Ice cream scoop
Lemon zester
Mandoline
Microwave oven
Mortar and pestle
Paring knife
Pastry brush
Pizza cutter
Potato masher
Prep bowls
Regular oven
Rolling pin
Saucepan
Spatula
Stock pot
Stove
Tea kettle
Toaster
Toaster oven
Tongs
Vegetable scrubber
Wire whisk
Wok

Last edited:
My hand blender and wok. I couldn't live without them. I got a new hand blender last year, and a new wok this year, and I love them both. Then my food processor, and my new Jamie Oliver pans.

I wished I had a really good chef's knife. I have one knife I'm really found of (don't remember the brand), and a couple of Scan Pan knifes that's quite ok. But haven't found a favorite brand. I do prefer smaller knifes than most chef's knifes. I want a couple of new pans too.

But most of all, I wished I had a really nice kitchen. I really don't have a kitchen in fact. I have a bench and a small stove. Water is in the bathroom. :p

Reactions: Amy SF
I have a beautiful set of four Wusthof knives and a set of kitchen shears that my fiance gave me for Christmas the first year we started dating. When I received them I cut paper thin slices of tomato, just because I *could*. They are an expensive set, but as far as inexpensive gadgets, I have my Black and Decker rice and vegetable steamer which was found at a thrift store for about $3. I use it all the time. Mine is a similar model to this one. The steamer basket on top can be used for veggies. There is also a rice bowl you can set inside for cooking grains and lentils.

My Magic Bullet...I don't use a conventional blender or food processor.

I love: food processor. Electric skillet. Nice knife set. Baking sheets. Veggie chopper. Dehydrator.

I want: a new pot/pan set and glass tubberware. (I have tons of plastic containers, want to switch to glass.)

I had to get a knife kit for school and it came with some really nice Dexter (the house laughed at the name because of the tv show) knives. I will slap someone if they put it in the dishwasher.

My wok, my liquidiser, my tongs and my prize possession is my old fashioned heavy mixing bowl that I inherited from my grandma. I also have her really old heavy glass jelly mould which had survived her time in service at the 'big house' where she was head cook but I rarely use it now as I do not often make Vegan jelly...well not in such big quantities anyway! :eek:

I love the ceramic knife my mum got me for my birthday a few years ago. Also my garlic tools - I've got things to peel, chop, and mince garlic quickly without getting that sticky residue all over your fingers. Given that I tend to use about half a bulb of garlic in each meal, this is useful.

I really want a deep fat fryer, a rice cooker, and a waffle iron. Haven't really got room for any more appliances until we move to a bigger place though. Also, I want a vitamix, but I really can't afford one.

I have a General Electric waffle iron that is probably older than I am, since I remember my mother making waffles with it when I was young. It has cast iron plates that have a waffle pattern on one side, and are flat on the other so you can reverse them and use it as an electric griddle. You know an appliance is good when it has four temperature settings: Low, Medium, High and Waffles.

Reactions: ledboots and Amy SF
Large fry pan cum wok cum saucepan-in-an-emergency thingy that I bought yonks ago.

My two most useful 'Global' knives; One small, one large.

Left with just those there's pretty much nothing I couldn't do, if I had to.

Large fry pan cum wok cum saucepan-in-an-emergency thingy that I bought yonks ago.

My two most useful 'Global' knives; One small, one large.

Left with just those there's pretty much nothing I couldn't do, if I had to.

Well I am surprised...if we were measuring usefulness on frequency of use I would have laid odds on you saying your coffee machine :leer:

Well I am surprised...if we were measuring usefulness on frequency of use I would have laid odds on you saying your coffee machine :leer:

It is the one true love of my life, second only to you, m'sweet.

But!

You could knock up acceptable-ish coffee in a pan, if needs must?

If you can think of a way of knocking up an even remotely edible stir-fry in a Dualit coffee maker then you're welcome to give it a go!

:D

I have a General Electric waffle iron that is probably older than I am, since I remember my mother making waffles with it when I was young. It has cast iron plates that have a waffle pattern on one side, and are flat on the other so you can reverse them and use it as an electric griddle. You know an appliance is good when it has four temperature settings: Low, Medium, High and Waffles.

O
M
G

I think my mother had the same waffle iron! But we got so much use out of it that it eventually died, so nobody n the family has it anymore.

I chop a lot of garlic but I do love my garlic press.

I also adore my food processor - which is so old I think it came from Alice's kitchen. (Alice from The Brady Bunch that is.) It's brown, orange and cream colored - and sounds like a turbine engine when you start it up. Ear-plugs are recommended. But it chops and purees like no other.