What are the best food discoveries you made as a vegan?

Stardust1986

Forum Devotee
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
I chose to live a vegan lifestyle this year, im almost to the half year mark. Even though I practised with vegan eating last year, I was suprised how much I learned when I went fully vegan. Food choices and combinations, building flavors, herbs spices, etc. I'd like to know the discoveries others have made along the way, the tricks you learned to prepare great vegan food

Reactions: Emma JC
The thing I learned the most is that using the same spices and flavourings that we did as non-vegans (and more in most cases) makes all the foods that we eat now taste as good or better. Real chicken has almost no taste unless you put sauce/spices/marinades etc, same with beef, and all animal products. So our enjoyment of food has increased because we have amazing tastes/flavours and no animals were harmed in the process. Other side benefits include less harm to the environment, increase to our health, a lot less chance of contamination in the kitchen, dishes easier to do.... I could go on....

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

I agree on the seasonings for veggie proteins. The buffalo seitan nuggets I make taste just as great as I remember wings tasting before my veg*n days. It's all in the sauce and the texture. And now I can enjoy those flavors cruelty-free. Seitan and soy curls (a new thing for me that I'm just loving!) make a great delivery system for a tasty buffalo sauce and vegan ranch or bleu cheese dressing.

Also, going vegetarian and then vegan opened up more options for trying different cuisines. My menu is way more varied. So many possibilities cooking with vegetables and veggie proteins such as tofu, tempeh, seitan, etc. Jackfruit also works well in recipes that call for shredded meat.

Other tips: ground flaxseed is a great egg substitute for baking in some cases, such as with quick breads. I also discovered EnerG egg replacer in baking. It works really well in cookie and cake recipes.

And you can veganize just about any recipe. There are tons of videos online that offer great tips on veganizing non-veg*n food.

Reactions: Emma JC
The thing I learned the most is that using the same spices and flavourings that we did as non-vegans (and more in most cases) makes all the foods that we eat now taste as good or better. Real chicken has almost no taste unless you put sauce/spices/marinades etc, same with beef, and all animal products. So our enjoyment of food has increased because we have amazing tastes/flavours and no animals were harmed in the process. Other side benefits include less harm to the environment, increase to our health, a lot less chance of contamination in the kitchen, dishes easier to do.... I could go on....

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com
I noticed that too! Chicken doesnt have much of a flavor at all on it's own, everything thay gives it flavor comes from added flavors. I never found a replacement for steak, but learning how terrible it is for human health helps deter occasional cravings. My best trick was to look at Indian cooking, Indians have been a thriving vegetarian society for a millenium, the use of spices has been perfected, and making a proper dinner that doesnt include meat. You can easily replace ghee and yogurt with coconut oil and coconut milk. I never cared for paneer cheese, it doesnt have any taste, just a texture.

I noticed that too! Chicken doesnt have much of a flavor at all on it's own, everything thay gives it flavor comes from added flavors. I never found a replacement for steak, but learning how terrible it is for human health helps deter occasional cravings. My best trick was to look at Indian cooking, Indians have been a thriving vegetarian society for a millenium, the use of spices has been perfected, and making a proper dinner that doesnt include meat. You can easily replace ghee and yogurt with coconut oil and coconut milk. I never cared for paneer cheese, it doesnt have any taste, just a texture.
I've made what I've considered, and my meateater son considered, a very close replicant of steak

I make soy yogurt weekly. I make paneer from tofu